Port Tax/Fee Refund If We Choose To Stay On Ship

offtopic

A few years ago we stayed on the ship when docked in Jamaica and did get a credit... It was small something like 9 dollars each. We did not request it, it just appeared and when we asked we we're told it was the refund of the Port fees.... So you may get something, but don't expect much.

There must have been some special reason. Other than a port being cancelled altogether, this isn't normal.We often stay on the ship due to some mobility problems plus some ports we have been to so many times. We have never gotten a credit if it has been out choice to stay on the ship.

We are very open to this port, thank you for your input. Our ports include Costa Maya, Cozumel, Roatan, and Harvest Caye.

The reason we were planning on staying onboard the ship in Roatan was that I was told that there are people begging and that there are emaciated children and dogs everywhere. Now that I'm hearing from honest cruisers that it may be one of the best ports on our itinerary we will be looking into snorkeling spots.

Maybe think about taking an NCL excursion? That way you will get out but feel safe. We took the NCL excursion to West Bay (Tabyana beach). It's quite far so I wouldn't want to do it independently, but others who are less cautious will probably tell you it's fine to do in a taxi. Sadly it rained the whole day we went but the beach is beautiful!

The road there does pass some very poor areas, little shacks with stray dogs walking around etc. But you wouldn't be visiting these areas.

Not sure why someone said there isn't anything at the port- there is a small shopping area inside the gated area of the port. Theres a couple of bars there too. Not loads to see but worth a wander. Tasty chocolate stand that gives out samples!

The reason we were planning on staying onboard the ship in Roatan was that I was told that there are people begging and that there are emaciated children and dogs everywhere.[/font][/color]

Roatan is actually better than many Caribbean ports in this regard. If someone has never been to any poorer countries, they may be shocked by the living conditions in many of the ports.

We were recently in Roatan and Guatemala. Roatan was much more developed with better housing for the locals than Guatemala. I find it interesting to see the local culture and see how the average person actually lives. If nothing else, it gives you a new perspective on how good most of us actually have it compared to much of the rest of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The reason I was planning on staying onboard the ship was that I was told that there are people begging and emaciated children and dogs everywhere.

The truth is that while there are many beautiful destinations, much of the Caribbean is poor and you will encounter poverty unless you remain strictly inside of the cruise company built areas.

I tried to search but didn't see anything about this.

My question is that if we choose to stay on board (we don't want to get off at Roatan, heard horrible things) can we go to guest services and get the port taxes and fees refunded to us for that port since we didn't actually get off the ship and visit the location?

No. The ship had to pay the fee to the port. So doesn't matter if you use the port or not, they had to pay.

There is next to nothing right off the ship. Are you confusing it with the Carnival dock area?

When we docked in Roatan on NCL we walked a couple hundred feet through the security area and right into an area of shopping kiosks, a bar/cafe, and a couple small buildings.

It was not Carnival's Mahogany Bay dock. It was NCL's Coxen Hole dock.

Wow sounds like there is stuff to do here after all. I love to snorkel so will look into it.

The reason I was planning on staying onboard the ship was that I was told that there are people begging and emaciated children and dogs everywhere.

When you first leave the pier area (Coxen Hole) the first quarter of a mile is not really indicative of the rest of

the island. Yes you will have to pass through an area of neglect and other adverse adjectives - I did it once on

foot and never again but if you hire a taxi or take other shore excursion modes of transportation you probably

see the back alleys only a snap-shot briefly and pay a never mind about it. Cruise ships leaving a port are

often not blessed with scenic beaches but more industrial modular cargo scenes. Like railroads leaving the

station the tracks don't run through the best end of town.

Some of the shore excursion drivers are witty enough to divert your attention to the bright side of what you

are about to experience. In some areas the authorities will not allow panhandling begging to interfere with

tourist economics of the community livelihood.

Venture forth and enjoy Roatan

I tried to search but didn't see anything about this.

My question is that if we choose to stay on board (we don't want to get off at Roatan, heard horrible things) can we go to guest services and get the port taxes and fees refunded to us for that port since we didn't actually get off the ship and visit the location?

If you are concerned with safety, might I suggest looking at taking an excursion to Maya Key? It is a private island, and they pick you up right from the dock and bring you over via boat, so you are never really in Roatan proper. It has a little bit of everything on the island: beach, pool, buffet lunch, animal sanctuary, excellent snorkeling, etc. You also don't have to stay for a specific length of time, as the boat runs regularly all day back and forth to the dock. I've been there a few times and always love it.

Another big thumbs up for Maya Key. The snorkeling is absolutely wonderful and there are other interesting things to see there as well. It also includes a yummy lunch. As stated you, don't have to leave the port area at all to get there, so if going outside the port makes you uncomfortable, no worries.

Thank you all for the responses. I've talked it over with the group I'm going with and we decided to venture out. Maybe do a tour or take a taxi shuttle to a beautiful beach!

We did Little French Key, beautiful! Didn’t see any emaciated children, did see a couple dogs wandering. I wouldn’t walk around, hire Ronny or Victor Bodden both are great. I also heard West Bay beach was beautiful too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you all for the responses. I've talked it over with the group I'm going with and we decided to venture out. Maybe do a tour or take a taxi shuttle to a beautiful beach!

Excellent decision. As I mentioned earlier, we got a driver for the day to show us around the island. That is a great way to get a feel for Roatan and see a lot of different areas. If the poverty/underprivileged children is something you'd like to help, consider bringing some school supplies and asking to stop by a school to donate. We stopped at an elementary school with a bag full of markers, pens, and craft supplies and all of the kids were so unbelievably excited and grateful. It's an easy way to make a direct positive impact.

Enjoy your cruise! Be sure to come back and let us know how you liked Roatan.