Flight on same day as Disembarking...

shapsra

Did I make a critical flight booking error because of my stupidity for not reading these wonderful boards prior to cruise/flight booking? My wife and I are scheduled to take the Golden Princess soon and have booked a returning flight that is scheduled to leave (SJU) the same day at 10:30 AM. :mad: I happen to have elite status but from what I read, a 6 AM disembarkation generally means we won't get off the ship until 9 or 10, if we're lucky... Do I need to bite the bullet and buy us some "insurance" 1-way tickets back home that leave around 3PM??

Thanks for your help in advance...

Do I need to bite the bullet and buy us some "insurance" 1-way tickets back home that leave around 3PM??

I'm not familiar with the SJU airport, but if I were you, I wouldn't waste the money buying a one-way ticket... Most airlines will let you change your flight time for a $50 fee.

That is going to be pretty tight.

Since you have an early flight, they should get ou off the ship in one of the first groups. If things go well, that should start 8-8:30. Figure a half-an-hour ride to the airport or so with traffic.

We stayed an extra night when we got off the Golden in April, so the airport was almost empty. But from what I have heard on here the airport is a total mess on "cruise" days. So that is where your problem could really happen. Even with Medallion status, you might get stuck.

Instead of buying the one-way tickets, I would see about changing your outboud to the later flight (that has to be cheaper than one-way, refundable tickets). Of course, if you used miles to get the tickets, you can check to see if they can change your flights (that would certainly be less than two new tickets.) But I am assuming you tried those two options.

Well I just called my so-called Elite Customer Service desk, who was not helpful at all. They couldn't easily change our tickets for the $35 change fee, instead I would have to change class of service. However, I researched that buying one-way tickets (nonrefundable) would actually be cheaper than rescheduling. I guess if I miraculously make my early flight, then I could get the credit I spent on my 1-way?

Also, how would Princess know I have an early flight on disembarkation day? I am not taking their transfer...(another mistake?)

Thanks for the quick replies!!

We always have a late flight and spend the day in the in on of the airlines lounges or check in and go out for the day. If you are not oneof the first off and grab a cab you will have a problem. The airport is a zoo after 9.30. What airline are you flying?

No, not a mistake by booking the same day coming home, as that is what most of us do, however, keep in mind that they usually don't start letting people off of a ship until like 7:30 or 8:00, and those are the ones with tours. I would never schedule a flight until noon or later. You may seriously want to rebook/change for a later time.

Scott

We always have a late flight and spend the day in the in on of the airlines lounges or check in and go out for the day. If you are not oneof the first off and grab a cab you will have a problem. The airport is a zoo after 9.30. What airline are you flying?

I am flying AA...

It's sounding like I'll have to avoid the shore excursions for my new "insurance" policy. Oh well, us youngin's sometimes have to learn the hard way :)

Getting to the airport in San Juan should not be a problem as long as US Immigration does not get a "bug up their ^%%$." Even if you did not have "Elite" status, the pursers office would give anyone with an early flight priority. Under normal circumstances you should be off the ship by 8 or 8:30 and at the airport before 9. My advice would be to just take a taxi to the airport (you will be at the airport while others sit on their buses waiting for transfers). I am still amazed at how many take cruise line airport transfers when taxis are cheaper and much faster. This is true in most of the ports around the world.

Hank

The chagne fee usually only appies on the day of travel. To change flights, you are essentially buying a new ticket. (I am guessing these are purchased tickets and not award tickets.) Depending on how far in advance the flight is and what seat inventory they have, that could be a small or big difference.

(When I booked our award tickets for January, I got the days of the cruise wrong by one day. That little mistake cost $100 per ticket to get the award tickets reissued. Not smart on my part!)

Yes, if you bought non-refundable tickets, and made your first flight, then you can tell the agent that you won't be using your other ticket. You will then have a credit on Delta to use within a year (minus the $100 change fee). Your wife will also have the same credit as well.

(BTW, I stopped flying (Delta) extensively over a year ago, so some of the rules may be different now, but I think I am close.)

That is why I suggested buying a Y class ticket (refundable). If it was just a back-up, you can get your money back. But if it might be your primary way home, and you fly enough to use the credit, nonrefundable would be cheaper.

If I remember correctly, Princess will ask for your flight informationat some point, even if you are not flying with them. If not, make sure you let your cabin steward know you have an early flight.

And I would agree about taking a taxi -- it was much faster and cheaper than Princess.

Shapsra,

You can make a 10:30 AA flight if you are Gold or better. Use 1st Class check-in and special line thru security. Tell Princess to get you off early and cab to SJU. Airport gets real busy late mornings on weekends, but you will beat the rush.

You will need to be on your game and hustle.

Good luck and enjoy the cruise.

The chagne fee usually only appies on the day of travel. To change flights, you are essentially buying a new ticket. (I am guessing these are purchased tickets and not award tickets.) Depending on how far in advance the flight is and what seat inventory they have, that could be a small or big difference.
I'm not sure that this is entirely correct.

Some airlines do (or did) indeed charge a standby fee if, on the day of your ticketed flight, you wished to standby for an earlier flight the same day. This charge is less common than it used to be.

However, many fares allow you to change your reservation. Apart from the fully-flexible fares, the more restrictive fares typically require the payment of a fee in addition to any difference in fare. This fee is usually described as a change fee.

I suspect that the OP has come across exactly this, and that they need to pay a change fee plus the difference between the fare paid and the more expensive fares which are left on the later flights.

There's a lesson here: On the day that cruise ships return and disembark, there's a good reason why the flights earlier in the day tend to be less expensive. That's because they're the ones which are less popular, because they're riskier for pax getting off cruise ships. The later, safer, flights are the ones for which there's higher demand from the cruise ship pax, and therefore tend to be more expensive. It's no wonder there are so many people trying to cut it fine by booking flights that are too early.

Also, how would Princess know I have an early flight on disembarkation day? I am not taking their transfer...(another mistake?)

Take a look at the first page of this Patter under Early Flight Registration. It is from the CB but I'm sure all ships are the same.

http://www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com/Princess%20Patter%204.pdf

Last February, we had a 10:40am United flight out of San Juan on a Sunday. We got red tags from the purser's desk and were the first group off at around 8:30. Got luggage, a cab, and went through check-in and security in a breeze. Had plenty of time to spare. However, that airport gets crazy from about 9:30am on.

I think you'll be fine, but you must get tags to be first off.

Janet

Last February, we had a 10:40am United flight out of San Juan on a Sunday. We got red tags from the purser's desk and were the first group off at around 8:30. Got luggage, a cab, and went through check-in and security in a breeze. Had plenty of time to spare. However, that airport gets crazy from about 9:30am on.

I think you'll be fine, but you must get tags to be first off.

Janet

Janet and others, thanks for much needed confidence! So I guess go see the purser as soon as possible once on board? I can do that!

Given all the great help, I will do my best to post a detailed review of our cruise!

On our recent cruise, the purser's office told us to wait for the tags to be distributed and then come back to "exchange" the tags. We did that. It is also possible for your cabin steward to give you a "Red Tag". I "think" the steward simply switches the tags with one belonging to another cabin! /Sultan

Janet and others, thanks for much needed confidence! So I guess go see the purser as soon as possible once on board? I can do that!

Did I make a critical flight booking error because of my stupidity for not reading these wonderful boards prior to cruise/flight booking? My wife and I are scheduled to take the Golden Princess soon and have booked a returning flight that is scheduled to leave (SJU) the same day at 10:30 AM. :mad: I happen to have elite status but from what I read, a 6 AM disembarkation generally means we won't get off the ship until 9 or 10, if we're lucky... Do I need to bite the bullet and buy us some "insurance" 1-way tickets back home that leave around 3PM??

Thanks for your help in advance...

We took a 10:30 am in 10/05 out of SJU after getting off the Golden and had no problems. I took my plane tickets down to the desk and was able to get the red tags for our bags to get off the ship first. We paid a baggage handler once we got off to help with our bags and get us a cab. Got to the airport and checked in and it went very smoothly as we were there so early in the am.

I agree with the advice given by the above posters;1. Red tags are necessity. 2. Get a porter to help with bags, they get you through the customs line faster, they also will get you a taxi (don't have to wait in taxi line) 3. Taxi, not transfer bus, to airport. Last bit of advice, if security line is long at your "assigned" concourse gate, just go to the shorter line at the other concourse. After security you can cross over to the concourse and gate you need. That tip alone saved us 45 minutes at the AA concourse last year.

I agree with the advice given by the above posters;1. Red tags are necessity. 2. Get a porter to help with bags, they get you through the customs line faster, they also will get you a taxi (don't have to wait in taxi line) 3. Taxi, not transfer bus, to airport. Last bit of advice, if security line is long at your "assigned" concourse gate, just go to the shorter line at the other concourse. After security you can cross over to the concourse and gate you need. That tip alone saved us 45 minutes at the AA concourse last year.

I know this sounds naive, but are the tags are for people who have larger sized baggage? My wife and I are planning to use 2 carry-on-size bags that we can easily roll along ourselves. This is the "Rick Steve's" way that worked really well in Europe for us. Do we still need the "red tags" in this case??

Thanks again...

Know Rick's method well and...if all you have is carry-on then you don't need luggage tags, (but may receive them) but do check with Purser early in the week to sign up for "self-debark" and be ready EARLY. Self-debark will be the first ones called as soon as the ship is cleared. If you miss the window you are supposed to have to wait for your tag color. Supposed to be a limited number allowed, so thats why you need to sign up early. Should make your early flight with no problem unless ship is delayed in arriving or in releasing for some reason.

Archived