Passport: Do you carry off ship or leave in cabin?

Janie1229

WHY do people think that a photocopy of the passport will change anything?

Personal experience and first-hand reports?

From personal experience, having a copy of one's passport is often enough to satisfy a requirement to show one's passport in a shop (e.g., to qualify for the VAT refund program).

From the first-hand report of a colleague who was in Rome with his wife for two days before going to Tuscany for a week. One of them left the passports in a taxi on the way to the train station. Because they had copies and went straight to the consulate, they were able to get replacement passports that same day. They were told that absent the copies, they would not have gotten them that day.

Because you’ll have your passport number available should your passport go missing. It may make it easier to get it reissued or at least looked up. Why be so critical? It’s not hurting anything to have a copy.

Yes, I would think that if you had to have a new passport issued, the passport number and expiry date would help the embassy/consulate officials to start the process.

Well any embassy/consulate that are able to issue a passport will be able to get hold of that info.

It occurs to me that perhaps one should treat a copy of the passport information pages with almost as much care as a passport. After all, the copy has enough private data to satisfy most identity thieves, including passport number and expiry date.

Don’t bother! He’s going to have an answer no matter what we say! No harm in having copies, not sure why this bothers him so!

If you say so... :rolleyes:

Still there's no need for it and a DL would work just as well to get hold of the info you need.

Still there's no need for it and a DL would work just as well to get hold of the info you need.

I rather doubt that when traveling in Slovenia, for instance, a US state issued driver's license would work as well as a copy of the actual US passport's main page, with all the relevant passport information clearly printed out.

I am pretty confident that if you were visiting the United States and tried to use your Swedish driver's license to replace a lost passport, you would have a much more difficult time than if you had a copy of your passport to get the process started.

But if you are comfortable taking that chance, knock yourself out.

• 2 months later...

Actually there is a need for it, here is what the US State Department has to say about replacing a lost or stolen passport abroad:

"The following list identifies a number of documents/items you should take with you to the embassy/consulate. Even if you are unable to present all of the documents, the consular staff will do their best to assist you to replace your passport quickly.

Please provide:

• A Passport Photo (one photo is required; get it in advance to speed the process of replacing your passport)
  • Identification (driver's license, expired passport etc.)
  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship (birth certificate, photocopy of your missing passport)
  • Travel Itinerary (airline/train tickets)
  • Police Report, if available
  • DS-11 Application for Passport (may be completed at time of application)
  • DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport (may be completed at time of application)"

I leave it in the safe at all times except when I leave a port where I need it. I will carry a copy of it with me the other times (in case something weird happens and disappears from the safe, I will still have the numbers). Basically it's either copy or original on me or in the safe.

I keep in safe whether travelling by land or by sea. I do keep my passport card on me while off the ship, or when on a land vacation. Probably will never need it, but would serve as a source of ID if it were ever necessary, and has my Passport # on it in case I need that.

Hi, do you bring your passport with you on shore excursions or leave in your room? Thanks!

We do not take our passports off the ship. BUT, we do take our ship card, drivers license and a photocopy of our passport along with plenty of cash and 2 different credit cards. Before anyone tells me that it's illegal to make a copy of your passport, I don't care. If the ship leaves without me, at least I will be able to go to the US Embassy with my passport number etc. to get help. We have watched our ship leave people on the dock for being late, and I CANNOT imagine the hassles they are in for.