Age guidelines enforced at kids clubs?

Janeille

Hello all! I have a lovely trip planned on Allure in April. My kids, aged 14 & 11 will be joining us. I just noticed that the kids clubs are divided at age 12, so my kids would potentially be separated. Is this strictly enforced or more of a general guide? Also, is there some sort of supervision provided by the ship? I am just having nightmares about the idiotic things that sound like an awesome idea to teens (let’s hang over the railing!). I’m pretty positive my kids wouldn’t actually be that dumb, but kids these days are eating tide pods...

Hello all! I have a lovely trip planned on Allure in April. My kids, aged 14 & 11 will be joining us. I just noticed that the kids clubs are divided at age 12, so my kids would potentially be separated. Is this strictly enforced or more of a general guide? Also, is there some sort of supervision provided by the ship? I am just having nightmares about the idiotic things that sound like an awesome idea to teens (let’s hang over the railing!). I’m pretty positive my kids wouldn’t actually be that dumb, but kids these days are eating tide pods...

Is this during their spring break?

If so, it's during "everyone's" spring break. The ship will be full of kids. They will enforce the ages.

Teens do not have to go to or stay in any groups.

I have been on cruises where they let kids in the kids club move up or down to be in the same group as a sibling because there weren't may kids onboard. I don't think there's any chance of that for you though since one is in the kids club and one is in the teen club. I don't think they'd allow an 11yo in the teen club and I don't think a 14yo would want to be in the 9-11yo group even if it was allowed. Plus there will probably be a lot of kids onboard in April.

If there are not a lot of kids on board they sometimes allow kids to move - but I don't think they would allow your kids to move - age difference is too big.

It's good idea to go to club on the first night as many kids make friends then. Also suggest joining your roll call to see if there are any families with kids the same age.

Make sure you establish definite rules and expectations with your kids. Cruise ships are small cities - safety and behavior should be discussed ahead of time. Ship does have a curfew, I think it's 1:00 a.m. for minors not with their parents/adults.

While not the same age group last week on Harmony (not that many kids compared to spring break) I watched a family with a teary 5 yr old try and move him in to the 6-8 year old group to be with his older sister. The head camp lady was called down and she said it was just not possible to let a 5 yr old in with the 6-8 year olds for safety reasons. The family then tried to move the sister into the 3-5yr old group. Which was also not allowed for the safety of the 3-5yr olds. The only allowance that was made was the older sister could go in the younger program for 5-10minutes while the younger child calmed BUT she had to sit on the side and watch and could not participate in anything.

So...it wasn't a full ship but they were already pretty strict on the ages. On march break I would NOT expect to have them in the same group by any means. The good news is there should be plenty of kids their ages to make friends with so send them to the first intro meeting and hope for the best!!

Is this during their spring break?

If so, it's during "everyone's" spring break. The ship will be full of kids. They will enforce the ages.

Teens do not have to go to or stay in any groups.

Agree. One Allure will be packed during Spring Break. Register 1st nite, they can fill up and turn kids away on some sailings. Your kids will be in separate age groups. Even when they do make exceptions usually it's step down and your 14 yr old would be will very young kids...

If there are not a lot of kids on board they sometimes allow kids to move - but I don't think they would allow your kids to move - age difference is too big.

It's good idea to go to club on the first night as many kids make friends then. Also suggest joining your roll call to see if there are any families with kids the same age.

Make sure you establish definite rules and expectations with your kids. Cruise ships are small cities - safety and behavior should be discussed ahead of time. Ship does have a curfew, I think it's 1:00 a.m. for minors not with their parents/adults.

Thank you for all the replies! I think we are going to be missing the spring break mess, we’re going mid April. Most spring breakers are back into school by then. My kids will be missing school to attend. I’ll make sure to get my kids to the club on the first night, that’s a good tip!

I have pretty high expectations of behavior in general, but I’ll certainly be reminding my kids we are on vacation, not auditioning for the circus. ;)

I don’t think we will be affected by spring breakers. Checked our local school schedule, university schedules across the US & checking spring break dates for family members is Dallas, Jacksonville and Portland all show spring break in March. Mid April is prepping for final exams, as graduation is in early May. Is there some other schedule I should be checking?

I don’t think we will be affected by spring breakers. Checked our local school schedule, university schedules across the US & checking spring break dates for family members is Dallas, Jacksonville and Portland all show spring break in March. Mid April is prepping for final exams, as graduation is in early May. Is there some other schedule I should be checking?

The week of April 16-20 is spring break for many of the New England states so I would expect a lot of K-12 kids. Some of the mid-atlantic states get that week off too.

There will be large numbers of kids, whether you refer to them as "spring breakers" or not. Nationwide kids are on different schedules; pretty much includes late February through late April. Also, there are a lot of kids that are home schooled and numerous families from overseas. Lots of K-12 don't get out of school until June.

My 12 year old were in the teen club for one night but stayed with the 9-11 year olds for the rest of the trip. She enjoyed it. There are many kids on board, but the staff allowed her in as long as her presence does not create any problem. In fact the 6-8 group and the 9-11 group had activities together most of the time, so your 14 year old might be bored.

Like another poster mentioned, many New England school districts are off 4/16-4/20 including Boston public schools. I would expect a lot of kids on board if you're going that week.

And Upstate NY schools are all off the week after that April 23-27. So spring break is throughout the whole month for K-12 kids.

OP—It’s not the college spring breaks posters were referring to. It’s the school breaks where there are many children on board. The age thing comes up a lot, it’s really for the safety of all of the children on board. It’s always best to prepare your kids to be separated. Then if it doesn’t happen, it’s a positive surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While IN the clubs, the kids will not have access to the railings...they keep a pretty tight rein on them. No worries. When they're NOT in the clubs, YOU will be watching your kids! Again...no worries!

Not to mention if you are truly think your kid will climb the railings and if your kid eats Tide pods, you may want to rethink cruising and invest in counseling! JK of course, have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums