No more cruising for a while.

I was on the same Jan. 27 Harmony of the Seas cruise. I agree about the dining room. The sirloin steak was tough, as was the steak Diane and the pork chop. In fairness, the On the third night, our table mates were not there yet, and a man sat down, introduced himself and ate several of our rolls. His wife showed up and told him he was at the wrong table. Later we tried to get more rolls, and the waiter had to get permission. We did get more rolls. We were never offered a second roll on any night, though.

We did start to have the soft drinks we ordered each night at the table when we arrived after a night or two.

The food in the Windjammer was actually good for breakfast and lunch, but the Windjammer was crowded on this full ship.

We enjoyed the cruise, anyway.

Seriously? :eek:

I will have as many rolls as I want! :evilsmile:

If they try to pull this bread-sh*t with me I will give them a hard time.... I would have the Maitre or heck the captain explain why they are pulling this stunt! :eek::mad:

Seriously? :eek:

I will have as many rolls as I want! :evilsmile:

If they try to pull this bread-sh*t with me I will give them a hard time.... I would have the Maitre or heck the captain explain why they are pulling this stunt! :eek::mad:

I'm more appalled that someone would fill themselves up on rolls and other carbs when you're on a cruise. I save room for the good stuff! 😃

Maybe try Celebrity

We have observed this to and as Diamond members on RCL my wife has had to send back coolish food... as for dress code ... it is nice to dress up but I don’t think everyone should be required to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J.C., I agree with you as to what you said about the entertainment on RCI ships. However, it is not really true across the fleet. Some ships still have the old, tired RCI singers and dancers. Those shows range from ok to just plain aweful. So if you are saying that these are better than what other lines offer then those cruise lines' shows must really be bad. Now if you are referring to what is available on the Oasis siblings, they reinvented cruise ship entertainment. The Aqua Theater keeps bringing me back.

Wow, you have as much vacation time as Laura once had. But not as much as we both have now. 😁

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Wait a minute, you're in St Louis. Kids were both born there. Used to go to Checkerdome for Blues games. 😁

J.C., I agree with you as to what you said about the entertainment on RCI ships. However, it is not really true across the fleet. Some ships still have the old, tired RCI singers and dancers. Those shows range from ok to just plain aweful. So if you are saying that these are better than what other lines offer then those cruise lines' shows must really be bad. Now if you are referring to what is available on the Oasis siblings, they reinvented cruise ship entertainment. The Aqua Theater keeps bringing me back.

Jan 28 Oasis. All AT shows cancelled due to weather. We did see Splish Splash while docked in Labadee

Jan 28 Oasis. All AT shows cancelled due to weather. We did see Splish Splash while docked in Labadee

I have also been on sailings where the Aqua Theater was disrupted by weather as well as mechanical problems. Weather will always be a factor with outdoor venues.

Splash Splash is a cool show.:)

Wait a minute, you're in St Louis. Kids were both born there. Used to go to Checkerdome for Blues games. 😁

No, I live 3 hours away from both KC and STL. I remember the Checkerdome well, awful seating. I remember going to a hockey game up so high I could see the ice thru the superstructure, and seeing the Moody Blues there in like 1978 from about the same seats. Glad they knocked it down.:evilsmile:

We were at the Blues game when they lost to Penguins a couple of weeks ago. We had stayed at the Westin the night before the Soulard Mardi Gras parade downtown next to the new Busch Stadium. I didn’t realize months earlier when I booked the hotel that it was Mardi Gras. Realizing all the people at breakfast were dressed for Mardi Gras, that we needed to get out of the hotel quickly before the parade blocked the streets. I went to get in my truck, and realized I had a flat tire, figuring by the time AAA got there I could change it myself, as I took off my nice down coat, and put my Blues jersey on inside out, I realized that the ground was literally littered with hypodermic needles.:eek: Ah, life in the big city is so... special these days.

JC

I have also been on sailings where the Aqua Theater was disrupted by weather as well as mechanical problems. Weather will always be a factor with outdoor venues.

Splash Splash is a cool show.:)

They also cancelled CATS. 😱

Luckily I went first night. 😁

1519481503909.thumb.jpg.09dd8cdd8f39512ffccb76b22359a943.jpg

1519481398226.thumb.jpg.ff5c428b623f250c81bf77d14a02bc02.jpg

No, I live 3 hours away from both KC and STL. I remember the Checkerdome well, awful seating. I remember going to a hockey game up so high I could see the ice thru the superstructure, and seeing the Moody Blues there in like 1978 from about the same seats. Glad they knocked it down.:evilsmile:

We were at the Blues game when they lost to Penguins a couple of weeks ago. We had stayed at the Westin the night before the Soulard Mardi Gras parade downtown next to the new Busch Stadium. I didn’t realize months earlier when I booked the hotel that it was Mardi Gras. Realizing all the people at breakfast were dressed for Mardi Gras, that we needed to get out of the hotel quickly before the parade blocked the streets. I went to get in my truck, and realized I had a flat tire, figuring by the time AAA got there I could change it myself, as I took off my nice down coat, and put my Blues jersey on inside out, I realized that the ground was literally littered with hypodermic needles.:eek: Ah, life in the big city is so... special these days.

JC

Well Columbia is two hours from both, so you must be either north or south of there.

MIZ....

Snipped - We've been cruising for 20 years and all but 3 times have been with RCCL. Over the years we've noticed changes, of course, but what a difference 3 years has made! Back in the "good old days" the dining was elegant, food was delicious and presentation impeccable. Gone are the days when we would have a drink on our table when we arrived and the bar waiter would pass our table frequently. At the end of the meal, we would have the opportunity to have the after-dinner-drink of the day and who could pass these up in the pretty little glasses? The food served was so delicious there was no need to pay extra for eating in a special place on board. In fact, as I recall, there were no separate restaurants. On formal nights there was either a pianist or string quartet, and other nights as well. Our last night on the Harmony, I swear my selection was a frozen dinner! And don't even get me started of the lack of dress code. Are we the only ones objecting to this and should we just move on to another cruise line for older and stuffier cruisers?

Another cruise line won't help I am sorry to say. We have been cruising for 33 years, all the lines. We often cruised multiple cruises each year in past 10 years. Our intent was to spend winter months sailing, no longer. Recently we have been sailing Holland America, closest you will get to old time cruising on a mass market line. But they are re-vamping as well to the now NORM on ALL cruise lines. Pay more get less, use less staff. The standard corporate public company type operation. You are Diamond Plus, in example, yes you can go to Concierge Lounge, IF there is one. They have been removed from most ships. Now SUITE lounge, no Diamond Plus not welcome. Princess currently our favorite line but they too dumbing down.

The lines do not apparently remember what makes a cruise, the service and experience. Instead now make TV commercials highlighting activities that are often unavailable do to numbers of passengers on one ship. Ships now merely another resort like land with smaller rooms and that can really rock in bad weather. The cruiseaholics among us are rapidly disappearing I believe. We are doing more land activity now than cruising though still sailing but less and less.

We have frieds that we had met cruising decades ago and cruised with many times. They will no longer books most lines, they are doing a Europe sailing on Viking hoping that smaller ships and higher priced cruise will bring back some of the magic.

We should start a pool, how long before lines start charging for luggage? How long before gratuities are more than the fares? Charging $35 for a $6 bottle of White Zin is not enough? Have to add 18%?

But remember, everything they do is for OUR convenience or because we wanted it, in every press conference.

George in NY

Very depressing thread. We have 20+ cruises under our belt, most with RC but several on Celebrity and Princess. We have had a great time on all cruises. We eat later in the evening and always ask the waiter what is their recommendation for that night. If you don’t like what you get ask for something else. Some of it isn’t great but usually it’s pretty good. We love to dress up and are sad to see how casual the dining atmosphere has become, but that is our society. We are looking forward to our Oasis cruise in two weeks. Our first time on that class ship.

Very depressing thread. We have 20+ cruises under our belt, most with RC but several on Celebrity and Princess. We have had a great time on all cruises. We eat later in the evening and always ask the waiter what is their recommendation for that night. If you don’t like what you get ask for something else. Some of it isn’t great but usually it’s pretty good. We love to dress up and are sad to see how casual the dining atmosphere has become, but that is our society. We are looking forward to our Oasis cruise in two weeks. Our first time on that class ship.

Don't mean to be depressing, we certainly still cruise or would not be here on the board. We are just saying that it is so far from what it was when we started that the comparison is very stark. The comparison is not always worse, certainly the amenities and cabins onboard are far more enhanced as is the entertainment. We started cruising 1984 NCL then actually owned by Norwegians Kloster family. Now an Apollo management and who knows how many finance stock operations. Celebrity was owned by Chandris family etc. Ships were smaller and offered little in way of fancy amenity. They did offer service, good food, and a restful atmosphere. It was far different than being at home with Mickey Dee's and Johny Rockets. Dressing was TOO much, informal was jacket and tie don't miss that. However as pendulum swings getting more towards tank tops and formal sneakers has gone too far other way. No matter, when product that I like no longer exists will find something else.

Enjoy your cruise, we enjoy ours, just lamenting about we can see the day rapidly coming that we will no longer. We sail Adventure Seas in May, looking forward too it. Out of Jersey so makes it appealing. Wouldn't bother flying to Florida to sail her but happy to since local. Won't sail Anthem didn't care for Quantum class.

George in NY

Yeah, I have never quite gotten the purpose when people are burned out they come to a forum like this and dump their depression on people who are excitedly planning their much anticipated vacation. Probably one of the things in life that I understand the least.

People get a twisted joy of saying that RCI, CCL, X, HAL, PCL, NCL, sucks and they are never going back. I think about 1% are trying to actually help other people by sharing their negativity, but 99% are doing it for the exact opposite reason. It is a strange part of human nature.

Which is why I posted my original posting to this thread. There may / will be a day in the distant future when I may have a cruise or vacation in general that I am truly disgusted with, and if any of you are still alive and remember this post, tell me to leave, please.:halo:

JC

Yeah, I have never quite gotten the purpose when people are burned out they come to a forum like this and dump their depression on people who are excitedly planning their much anticipated vacation. Probably one of the things in life that I understand the least.

People get a twisted joy of saying that RCI, CCL, X, HAL, PCL, NCL, sucks and they are never going back. I think about 1% are trying to actually help other people by sharing their negativity, but 99% are doing it for the exact opposite reason. It is a strange part of human nature.

Which is why I posted my original posting to this thread. There may / will be a day in the distant future when I may have a cruise or vacation in general that I am truly disgusted with, and if any of you are still alive and remember this post, tell me to leave, please.:halo:

JC

I will. As I totally agree with you.

No need to defend RCI, as many, many,many have done solely because they disagree with you. Remember, we all spend money to get on any cruise ship. People, by defending RCI are actually DEFENDING their personal spending decision.

Yes, the quality of the cruise has declined...Fewer staff per person, reduced spending per passenger on food, downward trends for dress code.

But, on the other side of the coin, We sailed SS Norway her first year in service, an inside cabin cost more than a RCI balcony today.

We are aware of the "changes" and the downgrades, but we make our spending decision with full knowledge of the reduced services and quality.

Sad, but true, the product has changed. But, that does not mean there is any reason to play "smackdown" on the opinion of the original poster.

Sounds like you're about readyto join the Cunard club.

Impeccable service, beautifully presented food, formal, well everynight is a chance to dress up. To top it off there is an abundance of stuffiness.

Be sure to bring along a therapy emotional support dog and anelectric wheelchair and you will fit right in. ;)

That's too funny! But I fear it might be true and once I'm on the ship, it's too late!

I'm just trying to imagine how one goes through life letting what others are wearing affect their ability to enjoy themselves. No backlash here, just a bit of pity.

Because they are on a mass market cruise line pretending to be fancy and want to play dress up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That's too funny! But I fear it might be true and once I'm on the ship, it's too late!

Ugh ... Cunard ... it’s not just that but u are stuck in like a transatlantic class system ... But there should be freedom in the sea. What ever floats your boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No need to defend RCI, as many, many,many have done solely because they disagree with you. Remember, we all spend money to get on any cruise ship. People, by defending RCI are actually DEFENDING their personal spending decision.

Yes, the quality of the cruise has declined...Fewer staff per person, reduced spending per passenger on food, downward trends for dress code.

But, on the other side of the coin, We sailed SS Norway her first year in service, an inside cabin cost more than a RCI balcony today.

We are aware of the "changes" and the downgrades, but we make our spending decision with full knowledge of the reduced services and quality.

Sad, but true, the product has changed. But, that does not mean there is any reason to play "smackdown" on the opinion of the original poster.

Hammer meet head. Couldn't agree with you more. Times have changed. Some for the better and some for the worse. We've acclimated to the better at the expense of the worst. Some won't like it but in order to maintain the cruising experience we we're accustomed to and more, we've moved on to the suite class. We haven't experienced the MDR but once in the last half dozen cruises and it scared us back to pay dining and the Windjammer. Call us spoiled. Call us part of the problem but also call us happy cruisers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

We've been cruising for 20 years and all but 3 times have been with RCCL. To say the least, we've been very loyal and introduced many of our friends to RCCL. We sailed on January 27th on Harmony of the Seas and due to health issues, this was our first cruise in 3 years. The ship was beautiful and clean, the crew was friendly and helpful but the whole dining experience was very disappointing. Over the years we've noticed changes, of course, but what a difference 3 years has made! Back in the "good old days" the dining was elegant, food was delicious and presentation impeccable. Gone are the days when we would have a drink on our table when we arrived and the bar waiter would pass our table frequently. At the end of the meal, we would have the opportunity to have the after-dinner-drink of the day and who could pass these up in the pretty little glasses? The food served was so delicious there was no need to pay extra for eating in a special place on board. In fact, as I recall, there were no separate restaurants. On formal nights there was either a pianist or string quartet, and other nights as well. Our last night on the Harmony, I swear my selection was a frozen dinner! And don't even get me started of the lack of dress code. Are we the only ones objecting to this and should we just move on to another cruise line for older and stuffier cruisers?

Wife and I have only cruised carnival and last december we cruised on carnival freedom(10th cruise).We enjoyed the cruise except for lack of service and food. We are booked on carnival magic december 2018 but are considering RCL to see if it's different. Service and food has changed last few years and not for the better but we still cruise but do not tip extra.

20 years ago, cruising was a MUCH different experience than today...I agree with that wholeheartedly. Everyone felt "special", especially at dinner! Taking a break from cruising is probably a good idea, if today's "norms" aren't making you happy! You can go to some fabulous land resorts and recreate the "feel" of day's past!

I'd be interested in some suggestions for land resorts. I've always been reluctant to try one because I might get bored. Besides food, beach and dancing I don't see much in terms of entertainment in their advertisements. The ads also look like they cater to very young couples. Seems like there's a lot more variety on a cruise but we'd be open to trying something different.