Selfie for Check-In?

jhannah

I think having something that can reduce the time at check-in is fabulous.
I don't see it as a way for a cruise line to save money, rather a way to expedite the check in process.

What's 10 seconds out of a 5 minute process (for two people)?

DH and I both have smart phones and use them, but, we don't do selfies. Just not our thing. ;)

We could if we had to but I really don't think it is going to save a lot of time at embarkation. In fact, most times, they don't even take our pic as the existing one is good enough. We don't change much ;)

We took our own passport photos and it was actually a bit of work to set it up to meet all the legal requirements.

I really don't care what what my ship ID photo looks like. I won't be looking at it!

It is funny how people are discussing whether or not they have a smartphone for this purpose. A dedicated digital camera works as well..... :-)

igraf

I'm against it. What takes them a few seconds would take me a few minutes. And the last 2 cruises they didn't take any, just used the pics on file.

p.s. I have a smart phone.

I have to wonder if the population of anti-smartphone posters is a reflection of the HAL age demographics.

I had no idea there were still so many people without a smartphone until I saw this thread. I only know one person who does not have one, and that is my dad who is 88. Obviously those without them have no clue of the convenience they are missing. I couldn’t do without mine.

I don’t understand why some people seem to be so adamant about not embracing new technology or changing with the times. I see people still writing checks at the grocery store or to pay bills and just wonder why when there are much faster, easier options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My parents are in their 80’s and have them. They really like the technology and have learned how to send text messages.

My parents are in their 80’s and have them. They really like the technology and have learned how to send text messages.

There probably is a demographic thing involved. There was a good comedienne on one of our recent cruises. She talked about getting her mother a new cell phone. She sent Mom a text, and Mom called her to say "I got your message."

I had the same experience as Rocsailor on my recent HAL cruise. My photo was in the database.

I too am amazed at the people my age who won't get a smart phone. A retired friend of mine won't leave home for more than 2 weeks because he pays his bills by mail or in person. I've tried to explain online payments and transfers to him to no avail.

Maybe because I'm still working I'm more open to new technology, although I hardly think of a smart phone as new technology.

Roz

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

Same. Every single time. If they could figure that one out there's where they'd save time.
I'm sure on RCCL or any other lines that do this now, the clerk has to check the passenger-submitted photo to see if it's acceptable. That probably takes as long as taking a picture. Then the clerk has to add the time to take a new photo when the passengers' aren't acceptable.

I'm sure on RCCL or any other lines that do this now, the clerk has to check the passenger-submitted photo to see if it's acceptable. That probably takes as long as taking a picture. Then the clerk has to add the time to take a new photo when the passengers' aren't acceptable.

There's probably an automated accept/reject process during the submission. I imagine a lot of people will abandon the attempt at that point.

There probably is a demographic thing involved. There was a good comedienne on one of our recent cruises. She talked about getting her mother a new cell phone. She sent Mom a text, and Mom called her to say "I got your message."
That reminds me of a video I saw once where a woman asks her dad how he likes the Ipad she sent him as a gift. He says he "loves it" ... and shows him using it as a cutting board!! :D

True. The longest part of our check in process was waiting for the man to find our keys.

Another reason to go to an app where you do everything on your phone. It allows to check in, gives you entrance to your room, etc. Just scan a barcode or QR code on your phone when boarding and leaving the ship. It’s what is used by most people for airlines, concert and sporting events, etc. For those that don’t want to take advantage of technology, they can still stand in line.

The other side of the coin is change only for the sake of change. We all have the bar code on our boarding pass scanned when boarding and leaving the ship. There is no advantage to having it scanned on a phone instead as the line and time to scan will be the same. Furthermore, my boarding pass will not break if dropped and will never have a depleted battery.

You are also assuming that I carry my phone on me throughout a cruise. Usually while in port using an offline map app, but rarely while on the ship.

igraf

P.S. I am a highly technical engineer.

Another reason to go to an app where you do everything on your phone. It allows to check in, gives you entrance to your room, etc. Just scan a barcode or QR code on your phone when boarding and leaving the ship. It’s what is used by most people for airlines, concert and sporting events, etc. For those that don’t want to take advantage of technology, they can still stand in line.

I have to wonder if the population of anti-smartphone posters is a reflection of the HAL age demographics.

For the record, I am in that demographic and couldn't live with out my Samsung Note 4.

Hah! I've been trying to decide if I should update my Note 4 for my 77th birthday in June. My significant other and I tote along a wide variety of electronics on our cruises. We get a 1000 minute internet package and never have anything left over. We *don't* carry a printer along, so use the one in the Neptune Lounge for our boarding passes.

I have a lot of apps on my phone - some I use daily, some weekly, some rarely, some I can't delete so they're a waste of space. We print our boarding passes and tuck them away, because the airline checkin scanners don't always work as well as they should - we like to have a backup to prevent delays.

The other side of the coin is change only for the sake of change. We all have the bar code on our boarding pass scanned when boarding and leaving the ship. There is no advantage to having it scanned on a phone instead as the line and time to scan will be the same. Furthermore, my boarding pass will not break if dropped and will never have a depleted battery.

You are also assuming that I carry my phone on me throughout a cruise. Usually while in port using an offline map app, but rarely while on the ship.

igraf

P.S. I am a highly technical engineer.

ditto to all of that (except the P.S.) I do have a smartphone, but I don't have it on me all the time, even at home. Certainly not walking around the ship. HAL doesn't have that much going on that I have to access the Navigator app all the time.

ditto to all of that (except the P.S.) I do have a smartphone, but I don't have it on me all the time, even at home. Certainly not walking around the ship. HAL doesn't have that much going on that I have to access the Navigator app all the time.

Why not offer both options? That’s what airlines, hotels, arenas and others do. Those that prefer hard copy can still stand in line and get cards or print documents ahead of time and others can use their phone, if they prefer.

Another option is the smart wrist band that Disney uses. You just scan it when entering the parks, entering your room, for fast passes, purchases in restaurants or gift shops and more.

I still don’t understand people’s objection to using technology.

Why not offer both options? That’s what airlines, hotels, arenas and others do. Those that prefer hard copy can still stand in line and get cards or print documents ahead of time and others can use their phone, if they prefer.

Another option is the smart wrist band that Disney uses. You just scan it when entering the parks, entering your room, for fast passes, purchases in restaurants or gift shops and more.

I don't object to it, but I do think there are a lot of uses that don't save time and energy. I can easily stuff a paper boarding pass (airline) or cruise card into my pocket, but if I use my cell, it's another thing to juggle and put away carefully as I move toward the security scanner.

I don't object to it, but I do think there are a lot of uses that don't save time and energy. I can easily stuff a paper boarding pass (airline) or cruise card into my pocket, but if I use my cell, it's another thing to juggle and put away carefully as I move toward the security scanner.

Maybe the smart wrist band is the answer. No need to dig it out or put it away, just scan and go. The number of people who don’t have their card out and ready when getting on / off the ship, and then have to stop and put it away before proceeding after scanning it, always amazes me. This is one of the biggest hold ups getting on / off the ship at ports.

Again, there is no extra standing in line to use the conventional boarding pass for a cruise.

I believe that scanning phones will be a lot slower. Imagine the typical retired HAL passengers fumbling with their phones trying to bring up the bar code on the screen while we all wait in line behind them.

The current system is I hand them my boarding pass, they scan it and I hear a beep, and I then pass through. Takes about 2-3 seconds. I just don't see much opportunity to improve that process.

igraf

Again, there is no extra standing in line to use the conventional boarding pass for a cruise.

I believe that scanning phones will be a lot slower. Imagine the typical retired HAL passengers fumbling with their phones trying to bring up the bar code on the screen while we all wait in line behind them.

The current system is I hand them my boarding pass, they scan it and I hear a beep, and I then pass through. Takes about 2-3 seconds. I just don't see much opportunity to improve that process.

igraf

Apparently it’s not just me who thinks this is the way to go. The cruise lines are already moving to use smart technology.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article188432379.html

You have a wristband or medallion that has all of your pre-registered Information. No lines to check in or disembark the ship. Just walk directly on the ship and it knows who you are. Your room opens as you walk to the door. No more waiting at the bar to get your drink, they will know where you are and bring it to you. Order food, book excursions or show reservations. No more cards or paper to keep up with.

Edited by JT1962