Dazzling Ship with a few disappointments . A non Yacht club Seaside review. Jan 2018

geonurse

I’m trying to track if the smells (fecal, garbage, sewer, whatever lol) are reducing.

There was a Facebook post from someone on the 2/17 sailing that was very much effected by the smell. it was pumped into their oceanfront cabin on deck 5 from the air conditioning. But other than that one report and Nikki saying her friends smelled it briefly, it seems MSc might be getting this issue resolved.

If you don’t mind me asking, What sailing dates were those of you with the smell sailing on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was your cabin on Deck 10 where the odor was? If so, would you mind telling me your cabin number?

Our cabin was on deck 10 forward....10061. No smell by us, but certainly at mid-ship.

The "ship within a ship" concept is growing because of success. NCL has The Haven, MSC has the Yacht Club, and (soon) Celebrity has The Retreat which is "ship within a ship" on Edge without being called that (the concept worries/bothers many Celebrity faithful).

Personally, I don't see it as a class system. I see options. I look at it like buying a car. The base trim level might have a 4 or 6 cylinder but the top of the line has a V8. People pick what they want and get (also pay) more.

Celebrity have separate area in DR for suite guest for long time , Cunard has separate areas I don't see any problem for this.You get what you paid for . I cruised many time on different lines and never felt second class on MSC in regular cabins.

Celebrity have separate area in DR for suite guest for long time , Cunard has separate areas I don't see any problem for this.You get what you paid for . I cruised many time on different lines and never felt second class on MSC in regular cabins.

I feel the same way. For some cruises my budget allows for splurges like the Haven, Yacht Club, Blu on Celebrity, or Grills on Cunard. Most times though I'm in a standard cabin and dine in the regular main dining room and I'm quite content. I don't think it's a class system, just more amenities for those willing to pay more. It's not really a class system when ordinary people can afford it on occasion or even more frequently. Just depends on how you want to spend your money. The people with real money, the true higher class, travel by private jet and charter private yachts. Now THAT is a different class. You won't find them in the YC, Grills, or Haven.

I feel the same way. For some cruises my budget allows for splurges like the Haven, Yacht Club, Blu on Celebrity, or Grills on Cunard. Most times though I'm in a standard cabin and dine in the regular main dining room and I'm quite content. I don't think it's a class system, just more amenities for those willing to pay more. It's not really a class system when ordinary people can afford it on occasion or even more frequently. Just depends on how you want to spend your money. The people with real money, the true higher class, travel by private jet and charter private yachts. Now THAT is a different class. You won't find them in the YC, Grills, or Haven.

Exactly. Most Hotels have concierge level , most resorts have Premium sections and no one feel like second class . You pay more ,you get more. All this just mass market way to give people a choice .

The part that is upsetting some people (not me :D) is that on Edge, the Retreat has a separate pool, sundeck, lounge, restaurant, etc. just for suite guests.

I wonder if those people are not upset when they step inside airplanes and see first class seats while they keep going to the back. I don't, I know what i paid for .

EXACTLY!

I had a funny interaction with some YC guy at the Gelato bar on Seaside. I (being a lowly Fantastica passenger) was ordering a couple gelati for my family and he made a comment to me that I had to pay for them and how his were "free" because of his YC status.

I just looked at him and said. "They aren't free. You just prepaid for them". He quickly got quiet.

Sure. YC has nicer rooms and a private pool/restaurant and butlers. But I don't need any of that. I have kids with me that want to play in the kids pool and eat at the buffet for breakfast and lunch. I wouldn't be using the YC space anyway other than perhaps the MDR.

I would rather save the extra $1500-2000 and just go on another cruise.

The part that is upsetting some people (not me :D) is that on Edge, the Retreat has a separate pool, sundeck, lounge, restaurant, etc. just for suite guests.

Mass market and premium lines are competing with luxury lines these days. They had to up their game and offer more amenities than just a larger cabin. I’m booked on EDGE and I’m glad Celebrity is providing suite guests more than ever before. I don’t have a suite booked but when I do I’ll sure appreciate my own pool just like I do in The Haven or Yacht Club. The cruise industry is adapting to meet the needs of the next generation cruiser. This is just one of those changes. I’ll say all the cruise lines have done a great job not rubbing these private areas in the face of those not booked into them. For the most part they are quite discreet and most people wouldn’t even know they existed unless they really went looking.

I’ll say all the cruise lines have done a great job not rubbing these private areas in the face of those not booked into them. For the most part they are quite discreet and most people wouldn’t even know they existed unless they really went looking.

It would be suicide for them to do so. They know their bread and butter is the average passenger that needs little more than a comfortable cabin, good food and drinks and a deck chair in the sun.

I wonder if those people are not upset when they step inside airplanes and see first class seats while they keep going to the back. I don't, I know what i paid for .

Based on what I have read here on CC, the "Celebrity regulars" are afraid that the non-suite experience will suffer if "the Retreat" becomes the top priority. I don't believe that it will suffer.

Mass market and premium lines are competing with luxury lines these days. They had to up their game and offer more amenities than just a larger cabin. I’m booked on EDGE and I’m glad Celebrity is providing suite guests more than ever before. I don’t have a suite booked but when I do I’ll sure appreciate my own pool just like I do in The Haven or Yacht Club. The cruise industry is adapting to meet the needs of the next generation cruiser. This is just one of those changes. I’ll say all the cruise lines have done a great job not rubbing these private areas in the face of those not booked into them. For the most part they are quite discreet and most people wouldn’t even know they existed unless they really went looking.

I agree 100%.

I'm looking at 2020 to sail Edge (not booked, yet) but I am also waiting on info for NCL Encore (bookings open in a few days). MSC also has many new ships on the way so I have choices....lots and lots of choices. (y)

Based on what I have read here on CC, the "Celebrity regulars" are afraid that the non-suite experience will suffer if "the Retreat" becomes the top priority. I don't believe that it will suffer.

I agree 100%.

I'm looking at 2020 to sail Edge (not booked, yet) but I am also waiting on info for NCL Encore (bookings open in a few days). MSC also has many new ships on the way so I have choices....lots and lots of choices. (y)

"Celebrity regulars" have problem. X has VIP status and some of them really think they are VIP :rolleyes: . Its very popular phrase on X-" Its not Carnival, its Celebrity" :rolleyes::rolleyes:LOL After couple times I heard this I asked what is the difference, both mass market lines . Lady just moved away from me )

EXACTLY!

I had a funny interaction with some YC guy at the Gelato bar on Seaside. I (being a lowly Fantastica passenger) was ordering a couple gelati for my family and he made a comment to me that I had to pay for them and how his were "free" because of his YC status.

I just looked at him and said. "They aren't free. You just prepaid for them". He quickly got quiet.

Sure. YC has nicer rooms and a private pool/restaurant and butlers. But I don't need any of that. I have kids with me that want to play in the kids pool and eat at the buffet for breakfast and lunch. I wouldn't be using the YC space anyway other than perhaps the MDR.

I would rather save the extra $1500-2000 and just go on another cruise.

Agree! I am not will to pay that much more for the same cruise they are on. Right on about the "you just prepaid for them"! I don't think that $1500 gelato tasted any better than mine! LOL!

They certainly wanted everyone to know they were YC.

As does the YC.

The Yacht Club has been around for years. MSC guests know how it "works". I don't believe that those with MSC experience are troubled by the Yacht Club. Maybe troubled by some Yacht Club guests ;), but not by the concept.

On Celebrity, the Retreat is new. The concept of "ship within a ship" has some of them worried.

Great retort!

It always makes me laugh when they advertise Free drinks! yeah ok if you say so ... :p

I've noticed over the last couple of years that MSC has offered the all-inclusive drinks package as a promotion here for a lot of their sailings. The prices reflect the inclusion - they're just forcing people to buy this package whether they want it or not.

Beam- “As a promotion meaning” included in the fare or as an additional cost add on? I don’t think I have seen drinks included in the cost here in the USA. They have offered included drinks during lunch and dinner, but not included like NCL. Just wondering if this is another difference between what country you book from.

Beam- “As a promotion meaning” included in the fare or as an additional cost add on? I don’t think I have seen drinks included in the cost here in the USA. They have offered included drinks during lunch and dinner, but not included like NCL. Just wondering if this is another difference between what country you book from.

MSC have used different names for different promotions over the years. They sometimes have a promotion titled as "Get More, Get All" which includes the drinks package, some internet access and some OBC for Fantastica balcony bookings. When I first saw this particular promotion (IIRC it was in 2015 for 2016 sailings) I noticed that the actual price for the cabins had increased almost in line with what it would cost to purchase these items when this promotion was on. One of the problems I had with it is that it reduces the opportunity to accrue points in Voyagers Club from onboard spend as I always get a drinks package, anyway. (Though for the foreseeable future we will be booking Aurea level at a minimum). Another is that for others, they have no choice when this promotion is running. TAs will advertise it as a plus and people are fooled into thinking that it's "free".

ETA .................. I see we had a couple of posts deleted on another thread (or was it this one?) from when you drew attention to some 'inaccurate' postings from another poster which I responded to. I'm glad to see that the very nasty post directed at you and written by the same person has also been deleted.

Edited by Beamafar

Not quite true - when the Seaside had early bookings it included the classic drink package for all passengers in the cabin. We booked a Bella balcony total was $2500 for three people with the classic package.

It always makes me laugh when they advertise Free drinks! yeah ok if you say so ... :p

If I can basically book two different cruise lines - lets say a balcony for two for $1800, and one includes the drink package, while the other does not - guess which would get my money? So essentially the drink package would be free. It is all in what you wish to compare it to.

Not quite true - when the Seaside had early bookings it included the classic drink package for all passengers in the cabin. We booked a Bella balcony total was $2500 for three people with the classic package.

Interesting, thanks for sharing! I totally missed that as I’m a late booker.

Although I would surmise that some would think a price of bella balcony triple for $2500 was indeed inflated to include the cost of the drink package.

Interesting, thanks for sharing! I totally missed that as I’m a late booker.

Although I would surmise that some would think a price of bella balcony triple for $2500 was indeed inflated to include the cost of the drink package.

Personally I find to do a balcony for less than $850 PP to be a reasonable price, when I have seen many lines offering an inside cabin for 600 or so. We then did also receive $100 OBC too. To do a fantastica was even more expensive, I think it went to around $3000 and had no benefit other than room service. To have booked the same cabin now was around $3200, so I think under $2500 was a good price. Not to mention current booking of over $3000 doesn't include the drink package, which for three people was $1008.

I currently have a boardwalk balcony booked on Allure of the Seas and it is $1400 for 2 people, no drink package. We also have a 14 day on Carnival in an inside cabin that is running $2300 for 2 people.