Holland America Bringing O’s Reading Room Fleetwide

RandyinDEN

I interpreted it that for non-O-themed cruises you can bring your own copy of the current book club book, and there will be meetings led by a staff member to discuss the book.

You got it. It's BYOB (Bring Your Own Book) aka buy it yourself.

If I am going to BYOB, it will be wine. I'll choose my own books :'):halo::evilsmile:

HAL's website states:

"The time and location for this special O-themed event will vary by ship."

This suggests to me that this isn't a replacement for the alleged well-loved library and is instead most likely a pop up event that will be held in different locations throughout the ship.

The libraries have already been replaced on most ships. An other quiet, easy chair reading nooks like the Crow's Nest and the Explorer's Lounge have been converted into hard scape multi-use meeting rooms. Even though the CEO acknowledges his own passengers are "fanatical readers".

Odd choice for a CEO to make - we know you like to read, so we are taking away your libraries, your reading nooks and tossing out this sole agenda Oprah book group as a consolation prize.

Odd choice for a CEO to make - we know you like to read, so we are taking away your libraries, your reading nooks and tossing out this sole agenda Oprah book group as a consolation prize.

It does remind me of an Office Christmas gift exchange when a non-reader pulled my name. I read mainly classic mysteries, Regency historical fiction, and Russian Royal family biographies. She gave me the latest Danielle Steele novel explaining "It's a book, and you read."

The idea of taking libraries and comfortable reading nooks from passengers you admit are avid readers but giving them discussions of books not of their choosing in whatever meeting area that might be available that day seems much the same to me: The passengers read, we're giving them a book.

I doubt that Oprah is spending any money and instead I would think that Oprah is licensing her brand to HAL.

Totally agree. She's making money, not spending it.

As the article does not contain any mention of the libraries, I highly doubt that this has anything to do with the libraries.

Book clubs don't have to be held in libraries and many I've seen haven't been.

You are spot on (as much as I dislike that phrase). this has nothing to do with libraries. And, unless you are on the themed cruise, you need to buy the book and bring it on board.

A far cry from the book clubs I have seen on HAL where the books were supplied and frankly, much better choices. But books, like food, are subjective ;)

The libraries have already been replaced on most ships. An other quiet, easy chair reading nooks like the Crow's Nest and the Explorer's Lounge have been converted into hard scape multi-use meeting rooms. Even though the CEO acknowledges his own passengers are "fanatical readers".

How do you define most??

I don't think the libraries are leaving the S & R ships nor the Prinsendam. The bigger ships yes, (Vista and above) except, maybe the Noordam which does not have it's library in the Crow's Nest like the smaller ships.

LIbraries (I hope) will stay on these ships and since they often have the best itineraries.. It's not a hard decison for me to make.

I agree though, how can you say that your passengers are avid readers and take away the library? It's beyond comprehension. I guess this is the consolation prize.

Maybe there was door #1, door #2 and door #3 and they just chose the wrong door. ;):eek::loudcry:

How do you define most??

I don't think the libraries are leaving the S & R ships nor the Prinsendam. The bigger ships yes, (Vista and above) except, maybe the Noordam which does not have it's library in the Crow's Nest like the smaller ships.

LIbraries (I hope) will stay on these ships and since they often have the best itineraries.. It's not a hard decison for me to make.

I agree though, how can you say that your passengers are avid readers and take away the library? It's beyond comprehension. I guess this is the consolation prize.

Maybe there was door #1, door #2 and door #3 and they just chose the wrong door. ;):eek::loudcry:

Here is how I was looking at this evolving situation where the previous HAL libraries have been either replaced or materially altered:

Still have library space, but no longer operate as a staffed library:

1. Maasdam

2. Veendam

3. Noordam

4. Rotterdam

5. Zaandam

6. Amsterdam

7. Voldendam

8. Prinsendam* (does P-dM still have a staffed librarian?)

Former dedicated library space removed and replaced to become a shared facility operation with limited inventory:

1. Oosterdam

2. Westerdam

3. Zuiderdam

4. Eurodam

5. Nieuw Amsterdam

6. Konigsdam

7. Nieuw Statendam

I also appreciate reading habits have dramatically changed to over the past 10 years from hard/soft cover books to kindles. We watched this transition take place ourselves, like many others. The same dilemma all libraries face - how much dedicated hardscape with a physically limited inventory along with high staffing demands vs. virtually unlimited options with no space demands going electronic. But HAL ships are not running research libraries or teaching institutions- they are/were offering these as "guest" ambience features. Which had become a brand signature for many.

I personally have picked us so many serindipitious reading choices when browsing the former HAL libraries, I hate the thought of losing that special pleasure long enjoyed on my HAL cruises. And I bring plenty of books on my ipod too.

I think the word "fanatical" may be in response to the amount of negative feedback when passengers discovered that the K has no library. The "suits" may have been honestly surprised that anyone cares about books. Ashford's background is tech. Maybe he hasn't read anything but e-books for a while and assumed everyone does the same.

But know that he knows, you'd think he'd give us more than one book at a time.

Oh, and I guess the powerful people in Seattle think that men don't read? My husband would pick up an Oprah book club pick about as fast as I would pick up a cigar. Let's just say, not forward thinking at all. I saw how very interested people were in the "O" shop on our recent cruise on the Veendam. Not. Never saw anyone in there.

Here is how I was looking at this evolving situation where the previous HAL libraries have been either replaced or materially altered:

Still have library space, but no longer operate as a staffed library:

1. Maasdam

2. Veendam

3. Noordam

4. Rotterdam

5. Zaandam

6. Amsterdam

7. Voldendam

8. Prinsendam* (does P-dM still have a staffed librarian?)

Former dedicated library space removed and replaced to become a shared facility operation with limited inventory:

1. Oosterdam

2. Westerdam

3. Zuiderdam

4. Eurodam

5. Nieuw Amsterdam

6. Konigsdam

7. Nieuw Statendam

I also appreciate reading habits have dramatically changed to over the past 10 years from hard/soft cover books to kindles. We watched this transition take place ourselves, like many others. The same dilemma all libraries face - how much dedicated hardscape with a physically limited inventory along with high staffing demands vs. virtually unlimited options with no space demands going electronic. But HAL ships are not running research libraries or teaching institutions- they are/were offering these as "guest" ambience features. Which had become a brand signature for many.

I personally have picked us so many serindipitious reading choices when browsing the former HAL libraries, I hate the thought of losing that special pleasure long enjoyed on my HAL cruises. And I bring plenty of books on my ipod too.

Lack of a librarian does not = no library.

Frankly for the past several years, most have been more internet people than librarians,

But in any case as you have listed - it is not "most" that have lost libraries. There are still 8.

I have no idea if P'dam still has a librarian now. I'll report in May when I am on board ;)

Librarians are not needed and were never on board Holland America ships. The presence of an employee sitting in the library has nothing to do with the existence of a library. My last two HAL cruises had libraries but the books were really old, I didn’t see anything published in the last ten years. The biographies and non fiction books were ancient and of no interest to me.

Mainstream cruise lines will not be providing reading material, bring your own. If you don’t want to carry heavy books buy a kindle, $29 on Black Friday. The older HAL ships that still have a library are up for sale. No buyers for the ships but at some point they will be retired.

The Oprah branding won’t last.

Librarians are not needed and were never on board Holland America ships. The presence of an employee sitting in the library has nothing to do with the existence of a library. My last two HAL cruises had libraries but the books were really old, I didn’t see anything published in the last ten years. The biographies and non fiction books were ancient and of no interest to me.

Mainstream cruise lines will not be providing reading material, bring your own. If you don’t want to carry heavy books buy a kindle, $29 on Black Friday. The older HAL ships that still have a library are up for sale. No buyers for the ships but at some point they will be retired.

Probably not,due to a write in campaign to HAL headquarters.:rolleyes:

It was good to have a staff person on hand to "officially" keep the room quieter than it often is now- where people engage in loud conversations even though many around them are trying to quietly read.

Lack of a librarian does not = no library.

Frankly for the past several years, most have been more internet people than librarians,

But in any case as you have listed - it is not "most" that have lost libraries. There are still 8.

I have no idea if P'dam still has a librarian now. I'll report in May when I am on board ;)

But those 8 are in the process of losing their libraries as well. I know the Zaandam loses their's next month in favor of the EXC Explorations Central.

If you don't want to attend Oprah's book club don't go. Seattle might get the hint when nobody shows up. Also if enough people write letters to head office to complain they could change their minds and make sure you fill out those post cruise surveys.

Allan

I'm a librarian and was sad to see HAL slowly kill off their libraries, but they where stale and really sad looking form a professional's perspective. Plus the added expense of staffing it with a crew member made no sense to them.

To keep a library fresh even the small ones on cruise ships you need someone weeding the collection every month and processing new materials to replace the weeded(discarded) ones. You would have to get a new materials shipment at least once a month to keep things relevant. ...

Nahh. I think this view is just your personal preference and that schedule for "weeding" especially doesn't apply to a cruise ship library. Good books are more important than what you call a "fresh" library. Even a normal (land) library can suffer if this view is accepted and control is in the wrong hands. I 'm not saying this is the case where you work, and I'm not saying HAL's library's have been perfect, but I will say any of them could be made worse by someone using your rules for "fresh" and convincing others that it is an objective truth.

With all due respect, it is possible that the scope of your interests and your focus on publication date are in need of at least as much attention as the library's collection.

Nahh. I think this view is just your personal preference and that schedule for "weeding" especially doesn't apply to a cruise ship library. Good books are more important than what you call a "fresh" library. Even a normal (land) library can suffer if this view is accepted and control is in the wrong hands. I 'm not saying this is the case where you work, and I'm not saying HAL's library's have been perfect, but I will say any of them could be made worse by someone using your rules for "fresh" and convincing others that it is an objective truth.

Agree, this is a recreational library, not an academic or research library. An annual refreshment - or even an interchange between ships would most likely serve cruise passenger needs. I was always impressed at the variety of offerings - though I always stick to non-fiction choices. But it was picking up the random title that I was not even seeking that often brought the most pleasure.

About 8 monthly ago, I began receiving O Magazine. I did not order it, but it began arriving regularly. I'm not an Oprah fan,so I just toss it in the recycle bin. Now I wonder if my subscription was compliments of HAL. My dh and I avoid Oprah cruises like the plague. I wish to enjoy vacations without celebrity influence, particularly Oprah, not a fan. And as to books onboard, I fill my Kindle before we leave home.

Agree, this is a recreational library, not an academic or research library. An annual refreshment - or even an interchange between ships would most likely serve cruise passenger needs. I was always impressed at the variety of offerings - though I always stick to non-fiction choices. But it was picking up the random title that I was not even seeking that often brought the most pleasure.

(bold is mine) I feel the same way. When we did a fall repositioning cruise a few years ago, one of the stops was PEI. We'd never been there and I was looking forward to going to Green Gables. To "prepare" for the visit, I decided to reread the first Anne book, curious to see if what I loved as a pre-teen would still be interesting to an adult (I found it charming). Browsing in the library on Maasdam, I discovered a little biography of Lucy Maud Montgomery. That was the perfect addition to my pre-visit reading! Yes, I could have looked for a bio at home, but my point is I didn't think of it, and serendipity improved that port visit for me.

How do you define most??

. ;):eek::loudcry:

I hope that you are right about the S and R ships. I searched that subject recently and came across a post from someone who had been on last year's WC. It was reported that they had been informed that the library would remain on the Amsterdam but the number of books would be reduced. By how many, I wonder. If it is down to the number of the now extinct mini library on the Oosterdam in 2016, I am going to be very unhappy on our 89-day Grand Asia. Why, oh why, would Ashford decided to reduce the library that does the extended cruises.

More thread drift here, if you don't mind.

One poster's comments about this is rather like the "branding" that is taking place with sports stadiums makes me wonder if the "suits in Seattle" have considered a JW Marriott Neptune Suite or a Days Inn inside stateroom, etc.

Just off the Koningsdam for a 10 and 11 day back to back and they had an O Reading Room session once on both legs on a sea day. I made a point to walk by and gauge the interest. First time ... 5 attendees ... Second time ... 7 attendees. I guess all those "fanatical" readers Orlando sees in his dreams must have been by the pool reading their own books :rolleyes: