Oceania Excursion Pricing Confusion

Heartfelttraveler

#2 AND #3 are discounted depending on the number of tours taken. #1 is the basic price if you take a fewer number of tours. We've never taken more than 1 or 2 tours on any cruises (ones we pay for as opposed to the oLife "free" tours) so I'm not sure how many you have to take to get the discounts.

Mura

I have a question, I’m looking at excursions listed for a Fall cruise I’m considering, but don’t see any listed as possible free O Life ones. What am I missing?

It's too soon. OLife tours usually aren't listed until about 120 days before sailing.

I have a question, I’m looking at excursions listed for a Fall cruise I’m considering, but don’t see any listed as possible free O Life ones. What am I missing?

Go to the 2nd page of the thread at this link:

- https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2599800&page=2https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2599800&page=2

We had a good discussion on the subject of OLife excursions.

When I look at the price for excursions on the Oceania website there are three prices for each excursion:

1. Tour Price

2. Your World

3. Unlimited.

What makes up which price I will pay?

Not to be rude but its dependent how much money you want to waste or throw away, because you can, on your own, make private arrangement's for any of these tours for 50 to 75% cheaper

You pay dearly for having O hold your hand and do all the work...

Example Bora Bora island tour 3 hours 150..00 pp on O

On your own $16 pp $ 100 for a private car tour.

I usually prefer private ones...have even organized a couple with other CC

members. Having taken free ones is new to me, Just tried two on Viking

Ocean - one was good, one was bad.

Not to be rude but its dependent how much money you want to waste or throw away, because you can, on your own, make private arrangement's for any of these tours for 50 to 75% cheaper

And sometimes it provides the security of getting back to the ship (and on time) when a country's infrastructure is poor or the area isn't very safe or the site you're going to is a long drive (sometimes with a lot of traffic).

We'll be getting 36 included excursions so will use them in countries/situations like I described above. Plus we'll have $3,500 each in OBC to book others....why spend any of my own money? In Europe we'll do DIY because we've been there many times.

No you don't, especially when you take the OLife excursion option. As I mentioned above, we use the free OLife excursion perk to purchase the expensive ones and then get 25% off when we purchase enough to qualify for the YWC.

When we're on a long cruise and have a bunch of port days to plan for, we really enjoy just going to O's excursion list and picking them out.

And sometimes it provides the security of getting back to the ship (and on time) when a country's infrastructure is poor or the area isn't very safe or the site you're going to is a long drive (sometimes with a lot of traffic).

We'll be getting 36 included excursions so will use them in countries/situations like I described above. Plus we'll have $3,500 each in OBC to book others....why spend any of my own money? In Europe we'll do DIY because we've been there many times.

It is no longer a given that any ship will wait for un-returned guests, even if they were on a Cruise Line based excursion.

I would agree that it is more likely that they will wait for "their own" excursion but at times there are increased costs for staying in a Port which make waiting extremely unlikely .

Longshoremen never did work for nothing, and these days everyone wants a slice of the pie.

It is no longer a given that any ship will wait for un-returned guests, even if they were on a Cruise Line based excursion.

I would agree that it is more likely that they will wait for "their own" excursion but at times there are increased costs for staying in a Port which make waiting extremely unlikely .

Longshoremen never did work for nothing, and these days everyone wants a slice of the pie.

Do you have a specific example on a particular cruise line you could reference? For example we were just on an Antarctica cruise in January and we were 1 hour late to disembark. We went on our 7 hour HAL excursion to see some penguins and we got back 1 1/2 hours past the scheduled set sail time and the ship was still there waiting for us. On the other hand folks we talked with had to cut their private excursions short to make sure they got back at the scheduled "back on board" time.

I would hope if O is going to change their policy, they will let us know prior to booking our excursions. After all that is one big reason we book excursions through the cruise line.

I have to think that if you purchase an O excursion & the ship leaves before you return that O foots the bill to put you up on land, meals & transport to the next port?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have to think that if you purchase an O excursion & the ship leaves before you return that O foots the bill to put you up on land, meals & transport to the next port?

I'm sure they would. The cruiselines promote the assurance that the ship will wait for passengers who book their tours so I doubt they'll go back on that. And I've been on many cruises that waited for passengers on ship tours to return before they left.

I'm sure they would. The cruiselines promote the assurance that the ship will wait for passengers who book their tours so I doubt they'll go back on that. And I've been on many cruises that waited for passengers on ship tours to return before they left.

That is the way that it was 20 or 30 years ago.

I direct your attention to Section 23 of the present Ticket contract:

Should the actions or inactions of any Guest(s) result in the Ship not sailing at its scheduled departure time, Carrier shall assess Late Departure Fees, beginning at US$1,000.00 per Guest, to said Guest(s) directly responsible for any departure that is delayed more then 15 minutes beyond the scheduled and published departure time, to cover the costs levied against Carrier by port authorities, governmental and quasi-governmental agencies as agreed and liquidated damages

J&S:

Alcohol policy is "All liquor purchased ashore must remain in bond until disembarkation", paragraph 15.

That isn't real either.

The ship will wait for their tours to return. Not independent travelers. There are exceptions to everything, but the circumstances are too rare to consider.

I think the learning from Ken the Cruiser's post is that the Cruise line's tour guides knew, or more likely had agreed beforehand , that as the tour left late they could come back to the ship at a later time whereas private tours have to stick to scheduled times or risk the ship leaving.

I direct your attention to Section 23 of the present Ticket contract:

The quoted T&C has no bearing on the subject as it talks about actions or inactions of the guest. When on an excursion sponsored by the cruise line it would be the action or inaction of the tour guide or tour operator. The guest usually has no actions or inactions when on a shore ex except perhaps if the guest is late back to an excursion meeting place or something similar. Can't imagine any cruise line charging a guest thousand(s) of dollars due to traffic, breakdowns, etc.

Too often read scare tactics by certain posters driving people to spend more money that really necessary.

:') :')

I wasn't sailing 20-30 yrs ago.....It's been in the past 10 yrs that I've personally experienced several of my ships staying in port to wait for returning ship tour passengers.....not just reading a ship's contract, but real life happening. Maybe an O ship would leave, but other cruiselines don't.

If I recall correctly, if your also using O's air and your flights fail to get in on time to meet the ship it is not their responsibility....It is up to you to get on the ship... Thats why I except on rare, very rare occasions do I ever rely onthe O air. You assume they would, but do they????

The selling pitch ( sales 101) stated that putting time restrictions in an offer Good only today, The price NOW, and what if your tour you make is late and you miss the ship. are all selling FEAR which is highly profitable.