Coffee questions

robindina

My hubby is very picky about his morning espresso, to the point that he wants to bring his own stuff on. Do they allow French press coffee makers? Hand grinders? And is it easy to get drinkable hot water? He also wants to bring on his whole bean coffee in a sealed bag.

My hubby is very picky about his morning espresso, to the point that he wants to bring his own stuff on. Do they allow French press coffee makers? Hand grinders? And is it easy to get drinkable hot water? He also wants to bring on his whole bean coffee in a sealed bag.

I don't recall seeing a French press or a hand grinder on the list of prohibited items. I have read that other people bring their French press without a problem. You can order a carafe of hot water from Room Service.

Under prohibited item "

Electrical and household appliances" is listed. A grinder might be considered as such.

OP did say "hand grinder".

Still, has hubby considered getting an espresso or other coffee of choice from the Coffee Bar on board? Supposed to be pretty good, from what I gather - maybe others can chime in.

You have to pay for the premium coffees though, unless you have Cheers!, then it is included.

It's been years since we've bought any instant coffee, and I know that some brands are better than others. Is there a brand of instant espresso that your husband would be okay with ? If so, it would save packing a French press, a grinder and a bag of coffee beans.

I'm interested in this, because I have become picky about my coffee too. In the past I found the room service coffee to be acceptable (unlike the reconstituted sludge they have on the lido.) But now, I am roasting my own beans and I would probably not want to downgrade to ship coffee, nor pay for it at the coffee shop.

There is nothing electrical about a french press or hand grinder, so those are fine to bring on board. The hot water carafe from room service is a good idea also.

If you were to bring some electrical device capable of heating water, that could be a concern depending on how much current it draws... best to leave at home.

Does anyone know if the ships have any self-service hot water out on deck somewhere?

I'm interested in this, because I have become picky about my coffee too. In the past I found the room service coffee to be acceptable (unlike the reconstituted sludge they have on the lido.) But now, I am roasting my own beans and I would probably not want to downgrade to ship coffee, nor pay for it at the coffee shop.

There is nothing electrical about a french press or hand grinder, so those are fine to bring on board. The hot water carafe from room service is a good idea also.

If you were to bring some electrical device capable of heating water, that could be a concern depending on how much current it draws... best to leave at home.

Does anyone know if the ships have any self-service hot water out on deck somewhere?

Yes. In the buffet area, right next to the coffee makers there is pot of hot water for tea. However, you can only get a cup under the spigot. It's not high enough to get a carafe or thermos bottle under it. So if you want a carafe of hot water, you'll have to order it from room service.

The best way to get hot water for a french press is to bring the press to the Lido deck and use the hot water spigots for tea. If you want to have coffee in your cabin, go up to the lido, pour in the water and while it's "perking" take the pot back to the cabin.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T / C738T) using Forums mobile app

While I can understand wanting "good coffee", I can't imagine lugging my own expresso, a french press, and a hand grinder on vacation.

I am with you. I would pre-grind a week's worth and pack it in a double ziploc.

Not going to pack the French press either. But a nice drip chemex rig would be real nice for the mornings!

The quote was from Carnivals FAQ: The intention from me was household appliance.

OK, but I am pretty sure (almost) everyone interprets "household appliance" to mean "household electrical appliance". Like a juicer, or blender, or toaster oven.

Though it would be interesting to see the reaction if you try to bring a hand-operated laundry tub on board...

The brand at the coffee shop onboard the Fasination (and I assume fleetwide) is Lavazza. Decent espresso can be found (albeit for a price) I am from Seattle, so being a coffee snob goes with the territory and my morning latte was just fine. They also have cold brews for the afternoon that weren’t half bad either. Bringing your own gear seems like a lot of work to me.