best spot to buy a ring?

If you are looking to spent over $1000, buy it at home. If you want to spend several hundred, about any island is fine. We found out the hard way that the islands mostly have a tendency to rip you off.

The Port Shopping Guides on the ships are not RCCL employees. They work for Royal Media. Even though they say that RCCL guarantees your purchase, let's just say"white man speaks with forked tongue". Royal Media will do pretty much do what the shop wants to do.

Best bet use a credit card & get the ring appraised as soon as you get home.

Another word of advise " Do not shop at Milano's.". Their entire company is set up to rip you off.

If you are looking to spent over $1000, buy it at home. If you want to spend several hundred, about any island is fine. We found out the hard way that the islands mostly have a tendency to rip you off.

The Port Shopping Guides on the ships are not RCCL employees. They work for Royal Media. Even though they say that RCCL guarantees your purchase, let's just say"white man speaks with forked tongue". Royal Media will do pretty much do what the shop wants to do.

Best bet use a credit card & get the ring appraised as soon as you get home.

Another word of advise " Do not shop at Milano's.". Their entire company is set up to rip you off.

I (politely) disagree. Speaking for myself, and maybe a lot of other women, buying nice jewelry is also an emotional experience. The "souvenir" factor is big with me, and most of my nicer jewelry was purchased on cruises.

"Oh, there's the earrings I bought in 1998 on the Vision when we went with Son #2's best friend and his mother." "Oh, there's the tanzanite earrings I bought in Grand Cayman."

I always price what I am thinking of buying before the cruise, so I know the appropriate price range. My Greek Key earrings from the Plaka in Athens are the exception: they were too unique and it was a special trip. But, even so, $150 for 18k gold was worth it. I've never seen another pair like them.

It's not always about the money.

Do not buy from Diamonds International. Ships get a considerable kick-back from them. I purchased a good size diamond only to get home to find out I had been overcharged a couple thousand dollars more than what it was worth. They also told me my trade in diamond was smaller than I said it was yet when I got home and found the certification it was the size I had said so I got cheated on my trade in. The price I paid was no where near their original quoted price. Good thing I didn't pay that price. I have purchased from small family run stores in St. Thomas and have been quite satisfied both for name brand watches and and other jewelry pieces. Bobby's Jewelry and Imperial Jewelers for jewelry. I get a Christmas card every year from Bobby's Jewelers. Thought that was a nice touch.

I don't know if they are known for rings, but we have had very good luck with Imperial Jewelers in St. Thomas.

Second this as well. Shopped there a number of times for different pieces and have found them to be very good. Still get their family Christmas cards......:)

I have used Ballerina jewelry before.

Tony, the original owner of Ballerinas in st. marten is the best. My family has spent 10s of thousands of dollars over the last 20 years. Very trustworthy and they continue to add stores. There items usually appraise for double when we get home. They will help with insurance, trade items that you have bought when you return. Always clean your jewelry for free. I can promise you that you will always leave happy.

I (politely) disagree. Speaking for myself, and maybe a lot of other women, buying nice jewelry is also an emotional experience. The "souvenir" factor is big with me, and most of my nicer jewelry was purchased on cruises.

"Oh, there's the earrings I bought in 1998 on the Vision when we went with Son #2's best friend and his mother." "Oh, there's the tanzanite earrings I bought in Grand Cayman."

I always price what I am thinking of buying before the cruise, so I know the appropriate price range. My Greek Key earrings from the Plaka in Athens are the exception: they were too unique and it was a special trip. But, even so, $150 for 18k gold was worth it. I've never seen another pair like them.

It's not always about the money.

In the $150 range, totally agree. In the $15,000 range buy at home. They play on the emotional experience.

We wanted that extra special experience of buying a new diamond wedding ring. Knew what we wanted & the average price it should cost. Found exactly what we were looking for. The ins. company insisted on an appraisal (store said use their appraisal). Got an appraisal, we had been ripped off. Nothing was what they said it was. Had to pay for a certified gemologist written appraisal. Stopped payment with credit card company. One nice email to Michael Bayley & two not so nice emails several hundred dollars later got the charges removed.

I am so very glad you have had great success. We have bought several rings & other jewelry on the islands with no problem. But with talking to 4 gemologist, GIA institute & credit card company dispute people the odds are high on being ripped off.

IMHO, the best place is at home with your local jeweler.

Double that comment.. Too many people get caught in the moment and overpay for low quality jewelry or souveniers that get stuffed in the closet when they return home never to see the light of day again.

If you're talking a trinket to remember your trip, do that, but save the decent jewelry purchases for when you return home, or bring it and give it to her while there!

In the $150 range, totally agree. In the $15,000 range buy at home. They play on the emotional experience.

We wanted that extra special experience of buying a new diamond wedding ring. Knew what we wanted & the average price it should cost. Found exactly what we were looking for. The ins. company insisted on an appraisal (store said use their appraisal). Got an appraisal, we had been ripped off. Nothing was what they said it was. Had to pay for a certified gemologist written appraisal. Stopped payment with credit card company. One nice email to Michael Bayley & two not so nice emails several hundred dollars later got the charges removed.

I am so very glad you have had great success. We have bought several rings & other jewelry on the islands with no problem. But with talking to 4 gemologist, GIA institute & credit card company dispute people the odds are high on being ripped off.

I have a good friend who has been in the jewelry business for over 40 years. He knows that my wife and I are not big jewelry people at all. We have never bought any serious jewelry and he knows that about us. I say this to establish that he wasn't giving his opinion to sway us one way or the other - since home or on the ship we weren't ever going to be buyers.

But what he told me was that in all his years in the business he has hardly ever done an appraisal of a piece bought during a cruise that came out anywhere near what the person paid.

YMMV

I purchased a beautiful diamond ring using a small inheritance from my dear late grandma, when I was in port on a cruise, I was very upset when a stone fell out not long after, and discovered that it wasnt set well, jewellers here in UK repaired it, but I was heartbroken, wasnt so much what they said, was more what they didnt, I could tell I had a badly made ring. The risk is that further stones will fall out so now its in a drawer, not worn. Equally if you buy on the ship, you have limited power to do anything if you have issues afterwards. I would only buy on land now.

Some thoughts from someone who doesn't regularly buy expensive jewellery but did recently on one of my Caribbean cruises.

As others have said, it isn't just about the money, it is about emotions and memories that get attached to the purchase. So it comes down to confidence that the item you buy is genuine and the price you pay is reasonable. It is not just the cost of the raw items - gold, diamond but the price you pay for the skill of the jeweller. I rely on my intuition and trust my judgement on these matters.

I avoided shops that looked dodgy or had pushy sales people. I found one or two shops which offered a good customer experience and had a really good choice with items which appealed. I then gave myself time to look at items, discuss price and then go away to reflect. I went back later in the day to commit to the purchase.

Most likely, I didn't get a bargain. Probably paid more than I would at home but I was happy with the shopping experience and have no regrets.

I have a good friend who has been in the jewelry business for over 40 years. He knows that my wife and I are not big jewelry people at all. We have never bought any serious jewelry and he knows that about us. I say this to establish that he wasn't giving his opinion to sway us one way or the other - since home or on the ship we weren't ever going to be buyers.

But what he told me was that in all his years in the business he has hardly ever done an appraisal of a piece bought during a cruise that came out anywhere near what the person paid.

YMMV

Very good information.

If Pauline likes something we start at one third to one half of the asking price and see what happens.

We have often seen people buying without haggling so if you do haggle over price they have plenty of flexibility to do it.

Angie at Jewels N Style in St. Thomas. Everything we have purchased there has appraised (insurance purposes) for at least 1/3 more than purchase price when we got it home. Stands behind her goods. Friend spent 16K on a tanzinite necklace, got home and realized she had made a mistake. Called Angie, was told to send it back and got a full refund!

It is a few years since we were in St Thomas but on 2 seperate visits Pauline bought a gold heart,gold necklace chain,plus a gold heart with diamonds around.

She bought these at :

Beverleys jewellers.

When we got them checked at home the jeweller said they were top class and worth a lot more than we paid.