When do Upgrades / Upsell Fairy Opportunities Usually Happen?

Hi!

I'm relatively new to sailing HAL, but leave in three weeks on the Rotterdam out of Tampa.

I'm in an oceanview cabin on the dolphin deck. :o:o:o We have two young children, so we typically book balcony cabins when cruising, since they go to sleep early and we can have a place to go and chill/read/watch movies on the iPad, etc.

When reserving this, all cabins that would hold 4 people were sold out except for the Neptune Suite (which was about $10k more than our OV). Not a big deal, I'm happy with the price we paid for our OV.

But I'm keeping the hope alive that there may be some cancellations and a different cabin could come available. Unfortunately when I called today to confirm a crib for our cabin, she mentioned the agent at HAL that made the reservation noted "no upgrades" on our reservation. I was pretty surprised and didn't understand why this would be?!

She did say that HAL doesn't typically look to upgrade or upsell anyone until about two weeks prior to sailing, so it's not a big deal.

Just wondering if this has been the case for others?

Either way, we'll have a great cruise but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed...

Hi!

I'm relatively new to sailing HAL, but leave in three weeks on the Rotterdam out of Tampa.

I'm in an oceanview cabin on the dolphin deck. :o:o:o We have two young children, so we typically book balcony cabins when cruising, since they go to sleep early and we can have a place to go and chill/read/watch movies on the iPad, etc.

When reserving this, all cabins that would hold 4 people were sold out except for the Neptune Suite (which was about $10k more than our OV). Not a big deal, I'm happy with the price we paid for our OV.

But I'm keeping the hope alive that there may be some cancellations and a different cabin could come available. Unfortunately when I called today to confirm a crib for our cabin, she mentioned the agent at HAL that made the reservation noted "no upgrades" on our reservation. I was pretty surprised and didn't understand why this would be?!

She did say that HAL doesn't typically look to upgrade or upsell anyone until about two weeks prior to sailing, so it's not a big deal.

Either way, we'll have a great cruise but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed...

Generally speaking I've found upsells start around 3 weeks out, but they start with the higher categories and work down so I would think that yours would be 2 weeks out or less. that's only what I have experienced and nothing says things can't change.

If your cabin is marked "do not upgrade", it is usually something that you request, but where you need a quad (a cabin for 4 it sounds like), perhaps HAL puts that on to prevent you from being moved to a room that can't hold 4?

Whether you are marked with "do not upgrade" or not, you can still receive upsells. Did you book with a TA or PCC? If you did, let them know you are interested in upsells. If you booked directly with HAL you should get the offers, and, it might be worth calling back to whomever you booked with and see if you can get the "do not upgrade" off, but, since quads are few and far between, it most likely won't be a free upgrade.

The Neptunes can accommodate 4 for sure on every ship in the fleet except the Prinsendam, I believe so, it might be worth reaching in case the price is low enough to suit you on an upsell.

Hi!

First, the upsells lately seem to be starting around 4-5 weeks out, depending of course on how full the ship is. The free upgrades are very often not assigned until the final week, even the last day. My brother just got an upsell offer yesterday for a cruise which is departing today, so anything can happen. Remember, the free upgrades do not happen until after HAL is done with the paid upsells (naturally).

Second, it is hard to say why your reservation was marked do not upgrade - you should ask whoever booked your cruise for you. It could be due to you having 4 people in your cabin, which is hard to find upgrades for (as you found out). Personally, whenever I select a cabin, I almost always have the agent mark the reservation "do not upgrade" as my idea of a "better" cabin within a category is often different than HAL's idea - plus I will be offered an upsell to a higher category anyway if available.

Third, I am on the March 25th Rotterdam sailing - so if that is your cruise, please join us on the Roll Call board here on Cruise Critic!

Not to confuse the issue but I think upsells depend on the sailing, the cabin type, and the number of passengers on the reservation. My recent experience booked in the lowest possible (fully obstructed ocean view) the first upsell offer came two weeks prior to sailing and I did not take it because I didn't like the location of the offered cabins - full ocean view. The second upsell offer came a week before sailing and was for either a full ocean view or a veranda. The price was right (sailing solo so double rate) and I took the veranda.

Have never received a free upgrade on HAL although have received two on Princess at time of check in. Don't know how that works either. I always say it is the luck of the draw.

Good luck and do enjoy your cruise.

1 888-628-8107

Here is the number to call for upsells. Usually you or your ta get an email with the offer and then the above number is called to accept the offer.

I have called them numerous times to see if I qualify without receiving the email and they were happy to check for me. On a couple of occasions I did get an offer from them over the phone and accepted...

No harm in trying.

Thanks so much for the helpful input! I will call that number tomorrow morning...

I must share...in 2014 I had booked my family in a standard Oceanview on a cruise out of Panama on Royal Caribbean. I signed into my Royal Caribbean account about 2 weeks prior to sailing to check something and found that we had been given an AFT BALCONY SUITE! Seriously. I cried, I was so happy!;p

I imagine these things probably only happen once in a lifetime, but no harm in keeping the hope alive!

1 888-628-8107

Here is the number to call for upsells. Usually you or your ta get an email with the offer and then the above number is called to accept the offer.

I have called them numerous times to see if I qualify without receiving the email and they were happy to check for me. On a couple of occasions I did get an offer from them over the phone and accepted...

No harm in trying.

Good to know, thanks