What is the Alaska Cruise Companion?

firsttimer2018

I'm reading Patters from last year about Alaska cruises and each day there is an article in box from the navigator. Most articles reference the Alaska Cruise Companion. Is it free or for sale? If for sale, at what price and did you enjoy it/would you recommend buying?

It's a book written by a former long time Alaska expert on Princess. It lists what you should be looking for mile by mile, and those mileposts are often announced by the captain. It also includes a very nice map, and can be purchased in the shop onboard. EM

If you are buying it ahead of time, get the right one. If you want the book that matches what the Patter is talking about I believe you have to get the book by Rachel Cartwright, not John Upton. Also, I have read that if you buy it used, it may not contain the fold out map.

We LOVED LOVED LOVED Rachel Cartwright's Alaska Cruise Companion. They sell it onboard for $19. And yes you can get it online before your cruise and there are valid arguments for doing just that as you're planning... but you run the risk of it missing the fold out map which is one of the BIG selling points to it. (Bring magnets to put it on your stateroom wall btw...)

The thing to watch out for if purchasing online (other than the presence of that map) is the edition/date. Mine was 2016 which I believe is the most current...but someone may correct me on that. I assume the differences in the editions would be related to wildlife...as lighthouses, landmasses and glaciers don't often 'move'.... (ok...glaciers move, but not to another location. ha!! ). For us the wildlife was such an important part of our cruise, I wanted the most recent edition and information.

In my review of our Alaskan cruise last Aug. (here on cruise critic) I actually wrote a review of the book. The link is in my signature below (rather than retyping it all here). :)

The navigational section of the Patters will refer to the book - page and paragraph #'s as you're sailing...the Naturalist on board will refer to it OFTEN!!! By the 3rd day of the cruise you see many people walking around the ship with it....and the Captain will sign your copy at 'Coffee with the Captain'.

Ok....that's enough of my sappy review...except to say we LOVED the book. ;)

Edited by rgmacm
  • Like 2

Yes -- buy the Alaska Cruise Companion on board in the gift shop. It has gorgeous photos and a terrific map, so you can follow the ship's route exactly. It is written by Rachael Cartwright, who was the naturalist on board our ship, the Emerald Princess. Well worth the purchase price. We loved the cruise to Alaska, and learned so much about the glaciers, wildlife, and beautiful scenery. :) EBC

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, Bignickpsu said:

Does anyone know if there is a way to order it from Princess and have it sent to my house?  I think my kids would like to read through it ahead of time.

I have not seen that, only being able to order it on the personalizer for Alaska cruises and getting it once onboard.

It is in the gift shops onboard for Alaska cruises and it is available on Amazon as well.

7 minutes ago, Bignickpsu said:

Does anyone know if there is a way to order it from Princess and have it sent to my house?  I think my kids would like to read through it ahead of time.

Not anymore. They used to do it.

The version of Amazon is outdated and maybe used (and with out the map). There are good books to buy about Alaska on Amazon though.

Edited by Coral

I bought mine online before our cruise last summer. I wanted to read it before the cruise, not while I was on the cruise. My copy came with the map. I really enjoyed all the information in the book, and gave a great heads up for what to see and where to look for all the scenery, wildlife, etc.

11 hours ago, shellgirl61 said:

I bought mine online before our cruise last summer. I wanted to read it before the cruise, not while I was on the cruise. My copy came with the map. I really enjoyed all the information in the book, and gave a great heads up for what to see and where to look for all the scenery, wildlife, etc.

From Princess or from Amazon or from ?