Oceania wine questions

islandwoman

I wish I had a US dollar for every time someone has asked this exact same question? I remember back a year ago we had three threads going, simultaneously, with people asking about bringing wine or liquor aboard an O ship. Strange thing is CC doesn’t want to make it a sticky!

Here is the larger question. If made a sticky, would a one read it or just ask the same question without a simple search?

It is not just Oceania. This same question is asked on almost every board although the answers differ by cruise line.

Quick answers

1. No problem, everyone does it!

2. Never looked as would just bring wine onboard and pay corkage, quite a few people do this. No point paying inflated prices

3. Yes it includes gratuities but worth paying extra for the prestige package if you like drinks in bars as a couple of cocktails or martinis adds up, and also it covers drinks round the pool

4. Yes, they will store it and they will deliver it to any restaurant (and a previous poster also said they will also deliver it to an on board bar)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 - As we are lucky enough to have a few friends that are Speciality Wine Sales Reps, a few of them are suppling us with some outstanding bottles for our 2 week Holiday. As mentioned above, they will store these beauties for us and I imagine the 'smart' thing to do is for me to take a picture of each and bottle and then request this from the wine steward / beverage dir / Somm upon our arrival for dinner? And also mentioned above, if we are 'casual' dining that afternoon / evening and we (HER) are in need of bubbles, same thing? AND (lol) if we (HER) are wanting a glass or seven of bubbles before dinner at 'the bar' or elsewhere, we again just show the wine steward a picture of the 'bottle' and they will retrieve it?......I'm just trying to make this as easy for them and us as possible.

TIA!

[/b][/color][/size]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 - As we are lucky enough to have a few friends that are Speciality Wine Sales Reps, a few of them are suppling us with some outstanding bottles for our 2 week Holiday. As mentioned above, they will store these beauties for us and I imagine the 'smart' thing to do is for me to take a picture of each and bottle and then request this from the wine steward / beverage dir / Somm upon our arrival for dinner? And also mentioned above, if we are 'casual' dining that afternoon / evening and we (HER) are in need of bubbles, same thing? AND (lol) if we (HER) are wanting a glass or seven of bubbles before dinner at 'the bar' or elsewhere, we again just show the wine steward a picture of the 'bottle' and they will retrieve it?......I'm just trying to make this as easy for them and us as possible.

TIA!

or you can just give them the name of the wine you want that you have stored & your cabin number

or you can just give them the name of the wine you want that you have stored & your cabin number

As my wife will remind me, "I'm not that smart..... but I'm pretty and can lift heavy things", so I think that's why she's kept me around for 35 years..... our intention is one case of various grape varietals and one case of bubbles for the two week Holiday and probably will only 'remember' a few of the bottles.... Looks like I'll catalog the bottles and just point-and-grunt at the pictures on the phone and request them.... Glad I got clarification on the Pre-Gaming drinking at the various locations other than the dining rooms, this way we can ease into the dining rooms with bubbles in our bellies....

You might consider keeping a few bottles of bubbly or sipping wine in your cabin fridge. A glass or two on the veranda can be very nice if the weather cooperates. Room service will bring you appropriate glasses or even an ice bucket if you wish.

We usually keep all our wine in our cabin and carry it to dinner (or to the bar and then onward to dinner). That way we have it immediately and can get right to drinking :'). Sometimes it takes the Som a while to find and fetch your wine.

Enjoy, Robbie

As my wife will remind me, "I'm not that smart..... but I'm pretty and can lift heavy things", so I think that's why she's kept me around for 35 years..... our intention is one case of various grape varietals and one case of bubbles for the two week Holiday and probably will only 'remember' a few of the bottles.... Looks like I'll catalog the bottles and just point-and-grunt at the pictures on the phone and request them.... Glad I got clarification on the Pre-Gaming drinking at the various locations other than the dining rooms, this way we can ease into the dining rooms with bubbles in our bellies....

I'm sure you've read it, but any wine consumed in a restaurant or bar has a $25 a bottle corkage fee.

Do people ever mistake you for Eddie Vedder?

I'm sure you've read it, but any wine consumed in a restaurant or bar has a $25 a bottle corkage fee.

Do people ever mistake you for Eddie Vedder?

I get (depending on how much GIRTH I have), Russel Crow, Jim Carey & PATCH from Days Of Our Lives ..... and when my beard/hair was a tad longer, anyone 'FROM A 70'S SOUTHERN ROCK BAND'... and Jesus...but no, never Eddie Vedder....

To me more annoying than the repeated questions here on Cruise Critic where people do come to get current information is the 3 bottle limit listed on Os documentation and website. I know that it is CYA that corporate lawyers love, but it does cause many to be confused and in some cases (for real wine lovers) to move on to the lines that do not have the weasel works. One worries that any time O may enforce their documented policy. JMHO.

Also remember that O allows liquor to be brought on for in cabin consumption. :)

Total newbie. Booked on Regatta this summer for Alaska cruise embarking from Vancouver. I noted that you clear US Customs and Immigration at the cruise terminal in Vancouver. Does anyone have any experience or advice re bringing wine/liquor on board at this port? Strict adherence to 1 liter/person duty-free limit?:eek:

I cannot tell where you are from but the problem with Vancouver - if you are coming from the US - is getting the wine into Canada when you clear customs at the airport. Canadians have an extremely high duty for alcohol. Our first cruise on Oceania was out of Vancouver. I carefully researched customs duties and discovered that they charge 150% of the retain cost of each bottle. Since I thought that egregious, I called a Canadian Customs office and was told that it was strictly up the customs agent as to whether he wanted to charge or not - and how much. If you weren't willing to pay whatever he charged, he would confiscate the wine --- even though you did not intend to drink it in Canada.

Recall that I said they could charge this. I'm sure someone will state that they've done it successfully. And, I'll also admit that this took place in 2011 so things may have changed since then.

But we thought it wasn't worth the risk and arrived in Vancouver sans wine. Over the two days we were there, we purchased a case of wine at local stores and carried that on board - no problem whatsoever.

I must admit, that I am a bit confused, the Oceania website says:

"What is your alcohol policy for bringing bottles onboard?

The maximum of 3 bottles of independent wine (per stateroom, per cruise) can be brought on-board for the duration of the cruise."

Does this mean that ONLY 3 bottles may be brought onboard at embarkation?

If not, can we bring more?

I must admit, that I am a bit confused, the Oceania website says:

"What is your alcohol policy for bringing bottles onboard?

The maximum of 3 bottles of independent wine (per stateroom, per cruise) can be brought on-board for the duration of the cruise."

Does this mean that ONLY 3 bottles may be brought onboard at embarkation?

If not, can we bring more?

As mentioned MANY times before that is the legal policy in case they need to enforce the rules but generally they allow you to bring more or bring some on at port stops

People have been known to bring a case of wine or 2

Just drink them in the cabin or if you take a bottle of wine to a dining venue you just pay the corkage fee

Edited by LHT28

There are tons of posts that reassure newbies on this point. That's a CYA kind of statement. You can bring on more than 3 bottles. Some people bring on cases ... not me, but a number of people have said that they often do without a problem. (While I haven't brought on as much as a case, I HAVE brought on more than 3 bottles.)

Mura

We brought a suitcase full of good wine. We primarily used the wine at the specialty restaurants and paid the 25 dollar corkage fee. The wine was delivered with the rest of the luggage. We bought a bottle of gin at one of the ports and used their tonic in the room, never left the room with our hard liquor.

We did enjoy the happy hour where you get 2/1 drinks, and we mingled with other guests.

Hope this helps

One can bring wine or alcohol aboard at any port!!!!!

It was our experience that we could bring wine in at each stop. We had wine on the veranda from time to time. Never bothered to bring it to the DR.

What do cocktails typically cost? Wondering whether it is worth getting the Prestige Select beverage package which allows unlimited beer, "selected" wine by the glass, and and most top-shelf spirits and cocktails versus the House Select which includes beer and a selection of wines by the glass, but no cocktails. I typically will enjoy 1-2 drinks at the pool or maybe right before dinner. If they are $10 a piece or more that might make the Prestige package worth it.

What do cocktails typically cost? Wondering whether it is worth getting the Prestige Select beverage package which allows unlimited beer, "selected" wine by the glass, and and most top-shelf spirits and cocktails versus the House Select which includes beer and a selection of wines by the glass, but no cocktails. I typically will enjoy 1-2 drinks at the pool or maybe right before dinner. If they are $10 a piece or more that might make the Prestige package worth it.

Cocktails do cost ten dollars or more, as you put it, but your primary reason for upgrading to the Prestige Package will probably be that the basic package only covers mealtimes AT THE DINING TABLE.

Hi could anyone tell me what time is happy hour and how does it work.?

Are the drinks reduced or do you get two for one.

Thank you

Janet

two for 1 some exceptions apply

Happy hour is usually 5-6 & 10:30pm to 11;30 pm in select bars check the CURRENTS for locations

I posted some menus from Dec cruise if you care to look

see post #22 for the links

Edited by LHT28