Rome to Civit. port by car

akke29

Our cruise sails from Civitavecchia at 6pm. My plan was to get picked up at our hotel in the city at 1pm and proceed to the pier. It seems like this timing is still very conservative, but want to maximize time in Rome that final day. I'm considering pushing the pick-up to 2pm. This gives us the morning and lunch in Rome before the drive to the port. Is this pushing it a bit?

Not to be a wet blanket, but we are always on the theory, better to be safe than sorry.

Your ship leaves at 6, so you need to be on board by 4. Leaving at 2 and a 90 minute ride only allows for 1/2 an hour leeway. Maybe the car has a flat tire, or there is an accident on the highway? You never know and that's the way we look at things. Myself, I would leave at 1 and give yourself some time to breath and not worry about not getting there on time.

Cheers

Len

I would not recommend getting there so late.

Now it depends on your itinerary.

Mediterranean itineraries tend to be port intensive so I want to get on the ship and get all settled and relaxed so I am ready to go full throttle so to speak.

I would skip the lunch. I would just head over to the port at around 10:30 AM.

Remember the first day is busy on the ship and that includes your muster station drill.

Just have a nice dinner in Rome the night before and a nice breakfast and skip lunch until on board the ship.

Keith

Absolutely plenty of time.

Enjoy your lunch in Rome! Hmmm, let me see, lunch in one of the great food cities of the world, or lunch on the ship. Gee, I'm unsure. Not.

You will breeze onto the ship with no lines at check-in, too.

Great plan! Buon Viaggio!

Absolutely plenty of time.

Enjoy your lunch in Rome! Hmmm, let me see, lunch in one of the great food cities of the world, or lunch on the ship. Gee, I'm unsure. Not.

You will breeze onto the ship with no lines at check-in, too.

Great plan! Buon Viaggio!

Sorry but I disagree very much. "Plenty of time" yes, in theory, but can you guarantee there won't be an accident on the highway our of Rome or on the way to

Civitavecchia? Can you guarantee that the car won't have trouble?

If that's the way you view things, that's fine, but leaving at 2PM is cutting it too close for myself. Can one truly enjoy lunch in Rome, knowing you have to leave any minute and worry that the car will be on time, and you won't have any problems getting to Civitavecchia?

I would rather relax, have lunch on the ship and have a worry free ride to my ship.

Cheers

Len

Most of the route is on the A12/E80...which is a high speed busy highway. If there is an accident anywhere on that route it becomes a complete traffic nightmare. We have done a lot of driving in Italy (over 10,000 miles) and it actually happened to us one day when we were driving our own rental car towards Civitavecchia. We were very lucky because we were close to an exit and I was able to get off the highway after a short 20 minute delay. Others who were not so close to an Exit might have been stuck for a very long time.

Is this normal? No more so then any other busy metropolitan highway. But we tend to be somewhat risk adverse when going to a port for embarkation (we take a lot more risk during many port days).

Hank

Most of the route is on the A12/E80...which is a high speed busy highway. If there is an accident anywhere on that route it becomes a complete traffic nightmare. We have done a lot of driving in Italy (over 10,000 miles) and it actually happened to us one day when we were driving our own rental car towards Civitavecchia. We were very lucky because we were close to an exit and I was able to get off the highway after a short 20 minute delay. Others who were not so close to an Exit might have been stuck for a very long time.

Is this normal? No more so then any other busy metropolitan highway. But we tend to be somewhat risk adverse when going to a port for embarkation (we take a lot more risk during many port days).

Hank

I greatly appreciate this sentiment. It's important to establish the OP's tolerance for risk. It's also important to ask if the next port for the OP's departure is as close as Naples or Livorno, or as distant as Miami!

Everyone needs to find what works best for them.