Gratuities are

Gratuities are paid as part of our cruise fare, either before we cruise or billed later. WHY must we feel the need to add MORE gratuities?

Is it because Carnival has cut back so much that these guys are cleaning far more cabins than they legitimately can manage and we feel the need to give them extra because they have done all of that and still met our needs?

:evilsmile:Or, is it because what used to be a 3-man team in the dining room is now a 2-man team, handling MORE TABLES?

If we are ALREADY being charged gratuities, then WHY? :o

Gratuities are paid as part of our cruise fare, either before we cruise or billed later. WHY must we feel the need to add MORE gratuities?

Is it because Carnival has cut back so much that these guys are cleaning far more cabins than they legitimately can manage and we feel the need to give them extra because they have done all of that and still met our needs?

:evilsmile:Or, is it because what used to be a 3-man team in the dining room is now a 2-man team, handling MORE TABLES?

You aren’t made to feel that you must add more gratuities. Nobody forces you to pay more than the standard rate, your room steward doesn’t hold out his hand demanding more, your wait staff doesn’t hold your dinner hostage if you don’t give them more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a 3 person dining team last week. I had a great steward who cleaned my room twice a day even though I told her I only needed it once. They all got extra. Nobody is asking you to do that though. Just do your autograts and you’re good.

What I'm asking is why would it even be a consideration for anyone?
I do it when I receive service that is above the norm or someone goes out of their way to make my trip special. Otherwise average service gets the standard.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Because when eating out sometimes you tip 15%, sometimes 20%, sometimes 25% depending on the service you get. If you get exceptional service you can tip extra if you want but no one is making you. Some people like to give more, others take their tips off of their account. Do what you want.

I can think of several reasons.

Guilt, pity, or simply because people on vacation spend money crazy.

I rarely tip extra because I don't feel I get special attention anymore I suspect mostly because of the things you have mentioned. They don't have time anymore.

Back in the day I used to tip quite a bit more esp when the kids were smaller. The waiter used to teach them magic tricks, folding napkins, scraping crumbs from the table cloth with special little scrapers. Usually the cabin steward had some little game going. They would often stop by for a little chat.

They basically do their job now because they don't seem to have time for the extra touches anymore.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Why not? A buck here or there will do more for them than what I would probably waste it on... and if it gets ME above and beyond service that makes MY trip more enjoyable then it is money well spent. Plus, if I give my young adult kids $1 - $3 bucks, they would be like “uh ok, thanks, but I’m not sure what I can get with this” whereas my bar waiter/ess is usually very happy and grateful and gives me “extra attention “ for that same few bucks... which makes me happy so it’s a win-win.

Nobody says you HAVE to tip extra, I just LIKE to... my money, I earned it, my prerogative how I spend it...

Edited by poz222
added

Because those who work for them actually enhance our cruise experience through what they do for us (sometimes just the little things) and our interactions with them. Because I believe good service should be rewarded. Because a few dollars more means WAY more to these hard working people than it does to me.

Because compared to your assessment of receiving below-average service, we have always received above-average service.

Our personal choice, therefore, is to extend an additional gratuity in such situations. There exists a direct correlation in continuing this experience.

In doing so, our service levels have increased exponentially and the cycle repeats itself.

Continue with how you feel things work and be satisfied with what you get. It’s entirely up to you.

We've never felt "obligated" to tip over and above the autogratuities. We do tip extra, however, as it seems to result in somewhat better service. Our cabin is always cleaned twice daily and the towels seem to always be fresh. Drinks are delivered very quickly, sometimes without even asking for another. Our kids get a little extra attention. Our favorite dinner drinks are usually waiting for us when we enter the dining room. It's these little touches we've come to enjoy on cruises (whether it's Carnival, Royal Caribbean, or Norwegian), and we think it's because we tip a bit extra.

YMMV, and you do what you feel you should.

I do it when I receive service that is above the norm or someone goes out of their way to make my trip special. Otherwise average service gets the standard.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Agreed! We have left an average room steward nothing on one hand and $40 if he/she has gone above and beyond.

Shoot, even my teenage son knew to shell out some of his own money when the entire cruise he had kept his room a pig sty only to come back and find it tidy (just so he could turn it into a disaster again:)). This was a good learning experience for him and he now keeps his room in a better state.

Another example, on our last cruise, we wanted breakfast in the MDR - they opened at 730 and we were supposed to be one shore at 830. We arrived early, asked for expedited service and it was delivered flawlessly. Extra effort gets rewarded.

Has been covered many times. Myself I do not like auto Gratuities or service fees. Never have and never will, as a matter of policy I feel they are wrong and should not be charged. I also check everything and remove from my account if possible. If the cruise line will not remove my credit card providers seem to be willing to remove the fees.

I know this post is like throwing gasoline on a fire... but I am entitled to handle my money as I see fit. If others feel different I will allow you to handle your money your way, that seems more than fair. I do not tip for average or normal service, I tip for extra services provided.

Has been covered many times. Myself I do not like auto Gratuities or service fees. Never have and never will, as a matter of policy I feel they are wrong and should not be charged. I also check everything and remove from my account if possible. If the cruise line will not remove my credit card providers seem to be willing to remove the fees.

I know this post is like throwing gasoline on a fire... but I am entitled to handle my money as I see fit. If others feel different I will allow you to handle your money your way, that seems more than fair. I do not tip for average or normal service, I tip for extra services provided.

Glad you recognize that this is gasoline, and not really a response to the OP.

That said, for those that may be unaware of the reason for tips, it is because the cruise line pays an hourly wage - assuming the typical custom in the Americas of tipping. When you remove your tips, not only do those that directly service you not receive adequate compensation, but those behind the scenes that wash your sheets and prepare your food are neglected as well.

It is very important to be aware of the payment system and cultural norms in which you are traveling. In Europe for example, tipping is much less common, but there, the wage structure is much different than on Carnival.

Yes, it is your money and you can do what you want with it...Scrouge certainly did.

Glad you recognize that this is gasoline, and not really a response to the OP.

That said, for those that may be unaware of the reason for tips, it is because the cruise line pays an hourly wage - assuming the typical custom in the Americas of tipping. When you remove your tips, not only do those that directly service you not receive adequate compensation, but those behind the scenes that wash your sheets and prepare your food are neglected as well.

It is very important to be aware of the payment system and cultural norms in which you are traveling. In Europe for example, tipping is much less common, but there, the wage structure is much different than on Carnival.

Yes, it is your money and you can do what you want with it...Scrouge certainly did.

Merriam Webster

Definition of gratuity

plural gratuities

: something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service; especially : tip added a gratuity for the server

It is not a gratuity as defined. Very tired of people saying it hurts the workers, the cruise lines are stealing money from guest and it needs to end. And yes it is on point to the OP post because the greedy worthless cruise lines are pushing people not only to pay these service fess but more on top of that.

Call me cheap or Scrouge I really do not care only drives me to do more to try and stop these fees. Let me be crystal clear here... I see it as no different than armed robbery and will fight the system to the end. If a cruise line makes service fees mandatory I stop booking that line.If the cruise lines told me people will die if you don't tip. My reply would be good population control is working and no mandatory service fees.

Merriam Webster

Definition of gratuity

plural gratuities

: something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service; especially : tip added a gratuity for the server

It is not a gratuity as defined. Very tired of people saying it hurts the workers, the cruise lines are stealing money from guest and it needs to end. And yes it is on point to the OP post because the greedy worthless cruise lines are pushing people not only to pay these service fess but more on top of that.

Call me cheap or Scrouge I really do not care only drives me to do more to try and stop these fees. Let me be crystal clear here... I see it as no different than armed robbery and will fight the system to the end. If a cruise line makes service fees mandatory I stop booking that line.If the cruise lines told me people will die if you don't tip. My reply would be good population control is working and no mandatory service fees.

Thank you for clarifying...it gives great clarity and insight to your thought process and others can now clearly determine which side of line on which they fall.

Maybe someday they will opt for your plan and simply raise the cost of the cruise to cover what is now gratuities in a charge that cannot be removed. Personally, I would prefer this so that people cannot stiff the staff.

Because compared to your assessment of receiving below-average service, we have always received above-average service.

Our personal choice, therefore, is to extend an additional gratuity in such situations. There exists a direct correlation in continuing this experience.

In doing so, our service levels have increased exponentially and the cycle repeats itself.

Continue with how you feel things work and be satisfied with what you get. It’s entirely up to you.

Beautiful response. I totally agree!!!

I tip more because these people leave their loved ones behind to help me have a good time with my loved ones! I feel "Blessed" "fortunate" or whatever you call it to be able to enjoy the experience of a cruise.

we leave anywhere between 5-20 dollars on the table per meal and give the steward 100 dollars at the end of the trip depending on the service level received. We feel that’s plenty and also have the service charge removed.

Merriam Webster

Definition of gratuity

plural gratuities

It is a service fee and Carnival should call it that. Since you live in the P.I. have you sailed Carnival Australia? The service fee is included in your cruise fare and tipping is truly tipping per Webster on Carnival Australia. Happy Sailings