Help...how often is Philadelphia Airport shut?

chemmo

Glad that you made it home, and although it did hit 80 in Philadelphia today, I saw some snowflakes on my drive home from work just 4 days ago. Every time Philadelphia had a snow event predicted, I hoped that your route home did not include a stop here.

And thank you for stressing your flexibility in flying into Miami versus Orlando which made it easier for the airline to accommodate you. There are a lot of airport options in Florida and anyone trying to catch a cruise in the winter months is much better off landing somewhere in Florida rather than being stranded in winter weather in almost any other state.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did return via Philly with no issues! We were slightly delayed leaving Orlando, however, due to thunderstorms! We would take a returning home delay in our stride.....no cruise ship to catch just washing to catch up on!

I should just like to add one further piece of advice for others traveling from outside the USA. It is easy to book non-direct flights without a thought for where your connection is and the alternatives that may be on offer. It is worth a little research so that you can select the best option. Some hubs may have a potential for weather issues at some times of the year, others may have multiple terminals, others may have other issues.

I was concerned when chemo was diverted to Dallas Fort Worth knowing just how huge it is and how long it can take to get from one end to another.

It is also worth remembering that you will need to pass through immigration at the hub airport and some, I am sorry to say, provide a less welcoming experience than others.

With the Internet, this research is much easier now than when we first started flying to the Us.

Sue, totally understand what you mean.

Living near a large provincial airport but a long way from the London options we have few direct flight choices into Florida. When we cruised last January because of concerns re weather we paid a premium for direct flights into Orlando and then drove down to the port. We did not think at the end of March Philadelphia would be a risky option.

Some of you, like Sue, who have followed our recent cruise experiences know I do have some mobility issues although thanks to some very clever doctors no longer need a wheelchair. On our original flight we had good down time in Philadelphia and I was planning to walk independently. Once we knew we had a mega fast connection time in LHR, a massive walk in Dallas Fort Worth and two economy flights either side of our business long haul we requested either wheelchair or a cart transfer at Fort Worth. It just simply was too much for me to manage. I would strongly recommend those who do not see themselves as ‘fully disabled’ but know their ‘legs are not as good as they used to be’ consider requesting a wheelchair or cart transfer between flights. It just isn’t worth spoiling your holiday by walking too far on the journey!

Cold and damp in the U.K.! Seriously, we honestly thought the end of March was one of the ‘safer’ times to book a TA flight....It was something of an eye opener to us! Enjoy your warmer weather!

We’re having a very capricious spring this year, but today will be another sunny day in the low 80s. At day’s end, to reward myself for a garden cleanup job well done, I intend to occupy my personal lounger with a frosty beverage in hand:cool:. Next week, we’re back to 60s, clouds and rain.

People in the Mid-Atlantic region often tell me we never have snowstorms here after March. I smile sweetly, and remind them of the 1997 blizzard in early April;p. Flying to Florida from the UK in winter, I’d book direct flights, or connect only in Charlotte, Atlanta or DFW. That said, your very wise strategy of arriving at least two days early would usually save your trip.

I do hope you post a photo. I’ve grown quite fond of your new posh frock:).

Me too!

As to differences in dressing, my experience has been that Europeans are much more interested in dressing up for dinner on a cruise than Americans are. We don't see many posh frocks any more. That's why we all want to see yours!

Cold and damp in the U.K.! Seriously, we honestly thought the end of March was one of the ‘safer’ times to book a TA flight....It was something of an eye opener to us! Enjoy your warmer weather!

Thanks, yesterday and today in the 80's. Tomorrow, cold front with POSSIBLE SNOW!!!!!:eek: I guess we're skipping spring this season and will go right to summer....eventually. So glad you were able to get where you needed to be and packed your great attitude in you carry all and were able to enjoy your vacation.

Chemmo: We were actually on board Eclipse on the Southern Caribbean when all of this was happening to you. Living on Long Island (home of the coastal Nor'Easter) we can appreciate what you were going through....we left on St. Patty's day (Saturday) which was a day early for our cruise and had no problem getting to Fl on time, but once on board (Sunday)we started hearing from our children(Monday) that there was almost 2 feet of snow on LI and all schools and airports were closed! What I really want to say to you though is Thank You for a splendid example of what a good traveler is: laid back and prepared to meet all contingencies with a smile and the good manners and experience to appreciate that none of it is the fault of the airline or the people you deal with who are trying their best to help you! What a wonderful example you have set for everyone who read CC and has a travel "nightmare" story!!! Happy travels!!! :hearteyes:

Congrats on the successful trip, even with the interesting arrangements! Definitely better to be somewhere in the US a day before your cruise than anywhere outside the US.

We always cruise in February. Our closest airport is St.Louis, which is still a 2 hour drive. About 5 days before we are to fly out, I start watching the weather closely. If the weather starts to look bad, I will be sure to look at alternative arrangements. Whether leaving a day early, driving to an alternative airport, or driving all the way to Ft Lauderdale (about 22 hours) I will find a way!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I would strongly recommend those who do not see themselves as ‘fully disabled’ but know their ‘legs are not as good as they used to be’ consider requesting a wheelchair or cart transfer between flights. It just isn’t worth spoiling your holiday by walking too far on the journey!

May I second this. Requesting airport assistance is not something anyone should be reticent about if you really need it. You may still be capable of getting through life in normal circumstances but airports are not normal. You often find yourself having to walk long distances rapidly and this can be challenging to some only just coming to terms with their increasing mobility issues.

We were encouraged to request assistance many years ago by our GP and I still carry his letters with us - but we have never been asked to produce them. We have more experience with BA than any other airline but requesting assistance through them (you do request assistance through your airline although it is provided by the airport) is simply done on their website. You can specify the type of assistance you need and, if necessary, be even more specific once at the airport. Once there, we simply ask the distances we will need to walk at the difference stages (e.g. before and after security) and then specify what assistance we will need that day.

We, for example, request difference assistance at Heathrow T3 and T5 because the assistance waiting area at T5 is a very long way into the terminal - and difficult to find. That at T3 is very close to security.

However, before anyone thinks that requesting assistance if not required is a way of improving your airport experience - I strongly suggest you do not. Any advantages are very much outweighed by the disadvantages. You are always last off the plane. There was the time they "lost" my husband at Heathrow. He had set off from the waiting area but did not appear at the gate and we were last, rather than first, on the plane. There was the time at Madrid in the middle of the night we and a group of nuns were taken off the plane on a cargo lift. And we have seen parts of airports that no one is supposed ever to see.

Glad you made it home safely. I believe your attitude during all the tribulations made things work out fine. Would love to see a picture of your new posh frock! Best to you.

I do so agree. You read so many tales here where a poor travel experience colours a group's attitude to their cruise so that they find fault with everything. WE have witnessed that so often on a cruise ourselves. A positive attitude whilst travelling is essential and the best frame of mind following a difficult journey is gratitude that you have arrived.

Once again so touched by the comments of all...

Promise to try to post a picture of posh frock from our Eclipse cruise in September!

We are cruising from Barcelona and definitely plan to fly in two days early ‘just in case’!

However, before anyone thinks that requesting assistance if not required is a way of improving your airport experience - I strongly suggest you do not. Any advantages are very much outweighed by the disadvantages. You are always last off the plane. There was the time they "lost" my husband at Heathrow. He had set off from the waiting area but did not appear at the gate and we were last, rather than first, on the plane. There was the time at Madrid in the middle of the night we and a group of nuns were taken off the plane on a cargo lift. And we have seen parts of airports that no one is supposed ever to see.

Amen to that!! We were boarded on Lufthansa through the galley by a bus that raised up to the door...and we sweated making our flight out of Frankfort because we were with an attendant at what appeared to be a deserted garage waiting for a bus to take us to the plane! LH actually had to hold the plane because our attendant kept calling for the bus and even HE was beginning to panic! But it's true...we do see parts of the airport that no one else does! :D