Help...how often is Philadelphia Airport shut?

chemmo

Yes, many of us are looking forward to seeing a pic of your new posh frock!! :D

I promise we will take some but I will have to learn how to post them!

My posh frock seems to have taken a life of its own on this thread!

Just to add a funny to our adventures....Dressing for Tuscan last night I decided to wear one of the new tops I purchased in Fort Lauderdale. Towards the end of the meal something seemed to stick into the back of my neck. I reached back and found the cardboard price/size label dangling!

Nothing better than being unpacked before muster drill!

You are sooooo right!

I have always loved the phrase ‘posh frock’ from an episode of that wonderful old sitcom ‘The Good Life’! I now have one more posh frocks this cruise than I think we have ‘chic evenings’!

You are sooooo right!

I have always loved the phrase ‘posh frock’ from an episode of that wonderful old sitcom ‘The Good Life’! I now have one more posh frocks this cruise than I think we have ‘chic evenings’!

You may have one more posh frock than you’ll need on this cruise, but a girl can never have too many posh frocks!

Sounds like you were channeling Mini Pearl with tour price tag hanging on the back of your new top.

I hope your cruise is wonderful, and so glad you are off to a great start after so much uncertainty before you crossed the pond. Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

You are sooooo right!

As others have said, you cannot have too many posh frocks.

Special Delivery sounds wonderful especially as it includes the embarkation experience you describe. It sounds like the time we departed from Miami on Marathon day, I think I have told you the story.

Received a phone call 9pm to say our luggage was arriving in Fort Lauderdale at 11pm but they couldn’t guarantee to get it to our hotel for 10.30am tomorrow. The alternative was for us to collect.

Rather than risk a fiasco tomorrow better half and son took a taxi to the airport. They have just returned with luggage (midnight)!

One nice part of the experience has been contact with Celebrity. I let Zoey (shore side concierge) know by email yesterday we had a potential problem. She was ready and willing for me to phone her in the morning if we still had no luggage and to sort out necessary liaisons for us. So reassuring....

Keen to try the new ‘Special Delivery’ now we have luggage to deliver! Will report back on how good it is!

Sincere thanks again for support and advice over a few very trying days! Promise to dedicate my first Champagne tomorrow to all of you!

A few years ago my sister and nieces were flying to AZ to do the Koman 3-day, and it was the storm after Sandy. Their flight got canceled, and Jet Blue couldn't get them there in time. They flew something (US Air I think) to San Diego then to AZ. Their luggage didn't.

The kids luggage was on the jet blue flight the next day (after their original, ie the day they flew). My sister's had gone to San Diego but not on to San Diego.

I went to the airport at 11pm to pick up my niece's luggage, then again at 1 am to pick up my sister's.

Did I mention we had to be at the start of the event at 5am?

I read the whole thread today with a lot of understanding. Glad you made it and hope it's a great cruise.

A few years ago my sister and nieces were flying to AZ to do the Koman 3-day, and it was the storm after Sandy. Their flight got canceled, and Jet Blue couldn't get them there in time. They flew something (US Air I think) to San Diego then to AZ. Their luggage didn't.

The kids luggage was on the jet blue flight the next day (after their original, ie the day they flew). My sister's had gone to San Diego but not on to San Diego.

I went to the airport at 11pm to pick up my niece's luggage, then again at 1 am to pick up my sister's.

Did I mention we had to be at the start of the event at 5am?

I read the whole thread today with a lot of understanding. Glad you made it and hope it's a great cruise.

Sincere thanks for your good wishes, it has been a great cruise so far!

Day 4 of our cruise, Antigua. Mid afternoon here and a short while ago we were sat on the balcony enjoying the view. We saw several pieces of assorted luggage arrive at the ship. We also saw what looked like a couple and their luggage arriving....counting our blessings.....

Day 4 of our cruise, Antigua. Mid afternoon here and a short while ago we were sat on the balcony enjoying the view. We saw several pieces of assorted luggage arrive at the ship. We also saw what looked like a couple and their luggage arriving....counting our blessings.....

:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

We have just returned to the U.K. following our fantastic cruise and extended stay in Florida.

I have never before returned to an old thread I have started but on this occasion felt it necessary to add a few final comments and say another sincere thank you.

The advice, comfort and support we received from CC members as our holiday plans changed so suddenly and drastically will not be forgotten....

We would like to offer some observations to fellow CC followers who fly to cruise...

Firstly we are so grateful that we always book a ‘two day cushion’ pre cruise. At the end of March we didn’t expect a snowstorm to affect the whole of the NE coast but it did. Without our cushion we, quite simply, would not have made our cruise.

Secondly, after comments from CC posters when I started this thread we took the ‘weather alert’ from AA seriously and were probably one of the first U.K. customers to be in touch when our flight was cancelled. Without this awareness, resulting in our quick response, we could have really struggled to have found alternative flights. As we were checking in to our new flights we could hear conversations at adjacent desks clearly stating ‘no flights available until....’ There were travellers in tears......

Thirdly our ‘cross packing’ did make a difference to 2/3 suitcases going missing. We all had one set of T shirt and shorts, one ‘smart casual’ outfit, one swimsuit, some undies and various miscellaneous items (including a chess set!). We could have boarded as we were and survived in a fairly civilised way. Our choice to go shopping and buy additional items is not regretted. All new cosmetics and clothes purchased (including my new posh frock) will be put to good use! Much better than ‘living in hope’ until the last minute of boarding then starting your cruise ‘on a downer’ because your clothes are missing.

Another bit of advice we would offer is to ‘work with’ rather than ‘fight’ the companies you are liaising with....AA genuinely took on board ‘we had a cruise deadline’. Our flexibility in agreeing to fly into Miami rather than our original destination of Orlando meant they could actually help us....if we had been inflexible about getting to our original destination we would have reduced AA’s options to get us somewhere near our cruise port of Fort Lauderdale.

Finally, before we even had our flight cancelled but knew it was listed as ‘at risk’ we kept in touch with Celebrity. We were lucky as were were in a suite and had Zoey as a direct contact but we also had listed Celebrity emergency contact numbers. We found it so reassuring that in a scenario of firstly us, or then our luggage, not making sailing we did have support...If you have never been in this scenario it is sooooo nice to talk to someone who makes every eventuality seem manageable.

Ours was a real ‘Happy ever after story’ (even if we boarded a bit physically and emotionally frazzled!). We made our cruise and so did our luggage.....we are aware that others were not so lucky....

Our sincere thanks again to those who offered words of advice and support!

We have just returned to the U.K. following our fantastic cruise and extended stay in Florida.

I have never before returned to an old thread I have started but on this occasion felt it necessary to add a few final comments and say another sincere thank you.

The advice, comfort and support we received from CC members as our holiday plans changed so suddenly and drastically will not be forgotten....

We would like to offer some observations to fellow CC followers who fly to cruise...

Firstly we are so grateful that we always book a ‘two day cushion’ pre cruise. At the end of March we didn’t expect a snowstorm to affect the whole of the NE coast but it did. Without our cushion we, quite simply, would not have made our cruise.

Secondly, after comments from CC posters when I started this thread we took the ‘weather alert’ from AA seriously and were probably one of the first U.K. customers to be in touch when our flight was cancelled. Without this awareness, resulting in our quick response, we could have really struggled to have found alternative flights. As we were checking in to our new flights we could hear conversations at adjacent desks clearly stating ‘no flights available until....’ There were travellers in tears......

Thirdly our ‘cross packing’ did make a difference to 2/3 suitcases going missing. We all had one set of T shirt and shorts, one ‘smart casual’ outfit, one swimsuit, some undies and various miscellaneous items (including a chess set!). We could have boarded as we were and survived in a fairly civilised way. Our choice to go shopping and buy additional items is not regretted. All new cosmetics and clothes purchased (including my new posh frock) will be put to good use! Much better than ‘living in hope’ until the last minute of boarding then starting your cruise ‘on a downer’ because your clothes are missing.

Another bit of advice we would offer is to ‘work with’ rather than ‘fight’ the companies you are liaising with....AA genuinely took on board ‘we had a cruise deadline’. Our flexibility in agreeing to fly into Miami rather than our original destination of Orlando meant they could actually help us....if we had been inflexible about getting to our original destination we would have reduced AA’s options to get us somewhere near our cruise port of Fort Lauderdale.

Finally, before we even had our flight cancelled but knew it was listed as ‘at risk’ we kept in touch with Celebrity. We were lucky as were were in a suite and had Zoey as a direct contact but we also had listed Celebrity emergency contact numbers. We found it so reassuring that in a scenario of firstly us, or then our luggage, not making sailing we did have support...If you have never been in this scenario it is sooooo nice to talk to someone who makes every eventuality seem manageable.

Ours was a real ‘Happy ever after story’ (even if we boarded a bit physically and emotionally frazzled!). We made our cruise and so did our luggage.....we are aware that others were not so lucky....

Our sincere thanks again to those who offered words of advice and support!

Welcome Home, it’s close to 80 in Pennsylvania today, no snow. Thanks for coming back many don’t.

Going to WAFFLE HOUSE

So happy it turned out well. A lot was due to your great attitude. In the Philly area today it reached 86° and our air conditioner switched itself on. Crazy weather this year for sure. Thanks for the update.:D

Chemmo,

Thanks for posting. :)

Thanks....I did follow though with general cruise information on a further post but really wanted those who had responded to us on our initial post to know how appreciative we were.

We did also want to offer information to those who may be in a similar situation in the future to possibly learn from our experiences....I will find it hard in the future not to respond “Don’t do it!” when CC posters suggest flying in with no ‘margin for error’....

Chemmo, thanks for coming back to update us on the rest of your holiday. I’m so happy to see that you had a lovely time, and that you made it home without any further travel perturbations:)

Soooooo easy to get on flights booked at the correct time! Still need to arrange a special occasion to wear my new posh frock!

So happy it turned out well. A lot was due to your great attitude. In the Philly area today it reached 86° and our air conditioner switched itself on. Crazy weather this year for sure. Thanks for the update.:D

Cold and damp in the U.K.! Seriously, we honestly thought the end of March was one of the ‘safer’ times to book a TA flight....It was something of an eye opener to us! Enjoy your warmer weather!

This spring on the east coast has been one of the most unusual in recent memory. Glad you posted on CC re your dilemma and took the advice of those of us who live here. Sometimes the weather forecasters get it right, which is why we are giving ourselves 2 days in the port city before our cruises. Thanks for your cruise review and coming back to report on your safe journey home.

Glad that you made it home, and although it did hit 80 in Philadelphia today, I saw some snowflakes on my drive home from work just 4 days ago. Every time Philadelphia had a snow event predicted, I hoped that your route home did not include a stop here.

And thank you for stressing your flexibility in flying into Miami versus Orlando which made it easier for the airline to accommodate you. There are a lot of airport options in Florida and anyone trying to catch a cruise in the winter months is much better off landing somewhere in Florida rather than being stranded in winter weather in almost any other state.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I should just like to add one further piece of advice for others traveling from outside the USA. It is easy to book non-direct flights without a thought for where your connection is and the alternatives that may be on offer. It is worth a little research so that you can select the best option. Some hubs may have a potential for weather issues at some times of the year, others may have multiple terminals, others may have other issues.

I was concerned when chemo was diverted to Dallas Fort Worth knowing just how huge it is and how long it can take to get from one end to another.

It is also worth remembering that you will need to pass through immigration at the hub airport and some, I am sorry to say, provide a less welcoming experience than others.

With the Internet, this research is much easier now than when we first started flying to the Us.

This spring on the east coast has been one of the most unusual in recent memory. Glad you posted on CC re your dilemma and took the advice of those of us who live here. Sometimes the weather forecasters get it right, which is why we are giving ourselves 2 days in the port city before our cruises. Thanks for your cruise review and coming back to report on your safe journey home.

We are so glad we did post on CC....we honestly just didn’t know the likelihood of our flight being cancelled. We had no real idea what ‘at risk’ on AA meant and they could not advise us further. CC just seemed a possible good source of real information....

We then used the time between receiving warnings on this post to AA actually cancelling to research other possible options. The biggest problem was that most other routes across the pond went via NY which was also at risk of closure....This meant that by the time we got through to AA we already had some ideas including changing our final destination and being willing to drop from business to economy for internal flights if necessary (health issues prevent me managing an across the pond economy seat). Both these compromises opened up far more options to us which did result in our primary goal to get to Fort Lauderdale before the ship sailed!

Thanks again for the advice!

Glad you made it home safely. I believe your attitude during all the tribulations made things work out fine. Would love to see a picture of your new posh frock! Best to you.

I haven’t worn my new posh frock yet!

This was our first Caribbean cruise on X post the introduction of evening chic and we found that evening dress was very informal on our cruise.....First evening chic night I wore a simple short black cocktail dress and I was probably one of the most dressed up ladies on board! All guests abided by the dress code....lots of really nice sun dresses, tops and skirts and men in smart trousers with nice open necked shirts but very few cocktail/evening dresses and suits and ties. I honestly felt my new more blingy ‘posh frock’ would be too blingy - I like to mingle in not stand out in a crowd!

Our last three cruises since the introduction of evening chic were in Australia and out of Southampton where ‘posh frocks’ were very evident! We have a Med cruise booked in September, posh frock may get an airing then! I can feel a new post being needed entitled “How posh a frock do guests wear when cruising in the Med?”!!!

I have just reread my comment and would like to stress that we didn’t have any issues with the more informal dress on Reflection....indeed it will help reduce our luggage next Caribbean cruise! We were just surprised that we could see a real difference between how evening chic is interpreted in different areas (or was our cruise an exception?).