Port Canaveral during Space X launch - too busy?

On Anthem with a 4/2 Port Canaveral stop. Same day as a Space X launch. On one had I am excited to see the launch. On the other hand - Easter Weekend/Spring Break/Space X Launch/ and don't dock until noon - Is it even going to be worth attempting to go into the Space Center?

Space Center ... I'd say no

but not because of the launch crowd alone ....

if you don't get in 'til noon, by the time you'd to KSC your time remaining is short as they close at 7 on 4/2 and it will be crowded

{they can hit capacity on launch days}

the upper deck of a cruise ship in port is actually an EXCELLENT place to view the launch! With the additional height you should be able to see the pad.

btw, don't be surprised if the launch does not happen. First off, cancellations are very common for a million different reasons, causing the launch day to change. Second, the 4/2 launch has an 'instantaneous' window meaning there is zero leeway. A 10 second delay during the countdown says 'try another day'

If it happens you can have a great show tho .... p.s. you're sched' for Terminal 6

{ I watch from my pool when it is warm enuf }

Edited by Capt_BJ

On Anthem with a 4/2 Port Canaveral stop. Same day as a Space X launch. On one had I am excited to see the launch. On the other hand - Easter Weekend/Spring Break/Space X Launch/ and don't dock until noon - Is it even going to be worth attempting to go into the Space Center?

This link should answer some of your questions.

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/launches-and-events/events-calendar/2018/april/rocket-launch-spacex-falcon-9-crs-14

The launch is later in the day meaning you won’t have issues getting anywhere until 3 pm or so.

And this is a “standard “ launch - not a “heavy” meaning less craziness.

After the launch and considering an hour delay there will be slow traffic for 30 minutes or so. By 6:30pm latest things should be fine to get back to the ship only 10-15 mind from the beaches.

However all restaurants etc will be packed along the beach!

How r you planning to get to the beach? Here is a detailed article for Cruisers and Port Canaveral Beaches.

Thank you so much for the link to that article! I have never seen it anywhere. Its super helpful. Is Jetty Park beach appropriate for kids? We have an 8 year old and 5 year old. Any idea where the anthem of the seas usually docks?

Jetty Park is fantastic for kids. We were just there on Sunday with four kids ages 3- 7 and they had a blast. Nice beach area and restrooms right there. Plus there is a playground. There is also a restaurant there but I have never eaten there. It’s very close to the port

Thank you. We weren't even going to get off the boat, but if its walkable, we may. Is it walkable from where anthem docks, or only some areas?

Anthem doesn't always dock at the same terminal. If you are at Terminal 1 or Terminal 3, it is walkable. It isn't walkable from Terminal 6 since that is on the other side of the channel. Here is a link to the port schedule for you to check which terminal you will be docked at.

https://www.portcanaveral.com/Cruise/Cruise-Lines-Schedules

The last launch here in Fl was bedlam! Traffic was horrible for hours!

Yes top of ship is perfect. You will be able to see all the pads and buildings

From top of ship!

If you are around terminal (where Oasis/ Majesty docks)

you can walk to Jetty Park too but taxis back maybe a problem as well as traffic due to limited roads in and around port!

That said You can really see the launch all over the area.

Last launch it came right down the river (toward Merritt Island) and turned east over the ocean

Then the 2 rockets returned right over my house back to launch pad

Never had to leave the yard!

By the way Florida Today has local LIVE reporting!

While you can plan your day around the 2 minute rocket launch, the truth is you can see it very well from the beach. This way you get both - Beach and Rocket. It will be low tide in the afternoon which is perfect with plenty of beach sand to play on.

If there is a delay in the launch you would’ve wasted your afternoon waiting on the ship. So it depends how serious you are about rockets.

It is important to know that this is a normal launch and we do not know yet if the stage 1 will land back at KSC after the launch or on the barge which cannot be seen. Traffic will be as usual for launches (similar to the March 6 launch) and not bedlam as it was on Feb 6. It is a Monday I believe and not a weekend day which helps despite being Easter.

As I wrote earlier, do not plan to rush back after any launch. You have plenty of time so wait 30 minutes or so then get an Uber which you can also prebook. You can also take a short walk to the restaurants at the Port from the Jetty beach and get the Uber from there. Either way it is a short ride back to terminal 6.

Edited by SteerageJoe