Workaround when you cannot print the HAL boarding pass

someotherguy

The last two times we were in FLL, we HAD to show our boarding passes to get into the HAL terminal to check in. The person who was demanding them made it clear it was pretty non negotiable.
If someone did not have a boarding pass did they send them away? :(:confused: You say "non-negogtiable. they would not get a manifest to verify the person was on it? Big Problem if tha t was the case. I they had copy of their paid invoice for the cruise..... One would hope the person in authority may choose top not abuse that authority. Edited by sail7seas

II don't know what was done with the people that did not have their boarding pass. I do know they were pulled over to the side, so, presumably once those with the boarding passes had cleared, a HAL rep would have come out with the manifest?

I didn't stay to watch. Nor could I since the line was moving.

II don't know what was done with the people that did not have their boarding pass. I do know they were pulled over to the side, so, presumably once those with the boarding passes had cleared, a HAL rep would have come out with the manifest?

I didn't stay to watch. Nor could I since the line was moving.

I have a knack for getting behind people who can't find passports or boarding passes. Last year, as the line grew behind one couple at FLL, the doorway checkers asked them to step aside to do their searching so that others could proceed.

Every Uber or Taxi driver who has taken us to the ship at FLL has warned us as we head for the port, have your passports and boarding passes ready at the gate. I think the drivers have to show ID, too.

I have a knack for getting behind people who can't find passports or boarding passes. Last year, as the line grew behind one couple at FLL, the doorway checkers asked them to step aside to do their searching so that others could proceed.

Every Uber or Taxi driver who has taken us to the ship at FLL has warned us as we head for the port, have your passports and boarding passes ready at the gate. I think the drivers have to show ID, too.

You sound like you have my kind of luck when it comes to lines. I always have both our passes and passports ready ;)

I am always surprised at how many people have to "fish" for them. It's sort of like boarding a plane and not having your boarding pass out ;)

Ruth Ann, if you have no luck, drop me an e and I can do it for you if you want. I can send it to you in a pdf format so you have it or give it and the tags to you at ES - whatever you prefer :)

I printed off another roll call members for them the other day. If your friend has microsolft and uses Edge - try that.

Thanks Jacqui I appreciate the offer. I’ll let you know if I still have trouble after I use my friend’s computer.

Ruth Ann

Thanks Jacqui I appreciate the offer. I’ll let you know if I still have trouble after I use my friend’s computer.

Ruth Ann

Good luck Ruth Ann :). 'Sea' you soon :)

Looking forward to it :D

The last two times we were in FLL, we HAD to show our boarding passes to get into the HAL terminal to check in.

The person who was demanding them made it clear it was pretty non negotiable.

We always get asked for them in Vancouver, before we get to the HAL checkin area we have to go through US Customs, they ask to see it while you get in the line for when they scan your luggage, then we go talk with a US customs officer have to show it to them, after that we wouldn’t need it to check in at HAL but we already have it for customs purposes. Anyhow for Vancouver you will need boarding pass.

Every time we came to Port Everglades in a taxi, we had to show our passports at the guard gate before the driver could proceed to the dock.

Edited by sail7seas

We have shown our passports at FLL, never needed a boarding pass. I suspect that if asked, all they want is some evidence that you are boarding a cruise. A self printed boarding pass, or any other self printed doc is not really much when it comes to proof. Anyone can format an official looking doc on their home computer and print it out.

There are two cruise line web sites that we avoid-HAL and Celebrity. They are tied for last place in customer friendly from our perspective.

I think one reason they ask to see boarding passes at the entrance to the terminals in FLL is that there can be multiple HAL ships in port on a busy day. Best to make sure you're in the right place before you go inside.

A few years ago we were boarding Maasdam in Boston on a day when Veendam was also boarding passengers. I think three different people in the terminal asked us which ship we were supposed to be on. So I guess people do go to the wrong place.

As I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread other lines do it differently. So how about HAL coming into the 21st century. I have a passport. I have already registered on HAL's website for the cruise. Why can't HAL do as other lines do and have those agents walking around like robots telling everybody to stand in line and make sure you have your boarding pass and instead walk around with tablets to scan your documents and let you walk in and pick up your card after security checkin?

Old people aren't stupid and not technically challenged. Most of us have smart phones and know how to use them. This 1990 boarding process is a joke. Printing out a boarding pass is so ridiculous. I can use my phone to buy and board a plane yet I need a paper boarding pass to get on the ship.

Stupid.

As I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread other lines do it differently. So how about HAL coming into the 21st century. I have a passport. I have already registered on HAL's website for the cruise. Why can't HAL do as other lines do and have those agents walking around like robots telling everybody to stand in line and make sure you have your boarding pass and instead walk around with tablets to scan your documents and let you walk in and pick up your card after security checkin?

Old people aren't stupid and not technically challenged. Most of us have smart phones and know how to use them. This 1990 boarding process is a joke. Printing out a boarding pass is so ridiculous. I can use my phone to buy and board a plane yet I need a paper boarding pass to get on the ship.

Stupid.

Great point! Agree!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Never really thought of it. More than once, when there may have been a misunderstanding with a hotel reservation, we simply reached for the ipad and brought the data up. Could just as easily been our phone but we don't usually travel with one. I guess that is exactly what we would have had to do if security at FLL or anywhere else wanted proof of travel arrangements or proof of onward travel.

Edited by iancal

I don't think Windows7 accounts for all of the problem. I'm on 10 and they wouldn't print on Chrome or IE, only on Edge.

But later, when I went to my documents I found that all of them were in my downloads :loudcry::confused:

If you're still on Windows 7 that's likely the problem.

I'm on Windows 10 on the PC and I've tried Edge, Chrome and Firefox. On the laptop I'm on Windows 10 and I've tried Edge, Mozilla and Chrome. On the tablet it is Windows 8.1 and I've tried Edge. No luck with any of those.

I checked the downloads folder, but nothing is there. It doesn't get as far as downloading to go there.

I've got some time, so hopefully, this will get fixed. I have commented on this to HAL. If not, I'll have my PCC send them to me in pdf form.

Wow, that is terrible that folks still can't print these docs/tags. I wonder why I had no problem at all....I don't get it as I am using a 4 year old HP desktop computer with Windows 8.1 and Chrome browser. Nothing special or fancy....and I don't have any advanced computer knowledge. The only issue I had was I saw nothing at first to print because the pop-up blocker was on. Once I enabled the site to allow a pop-up, there it was and I could print it. HAL had better fix the issue for everyone or go back to the good old days when they mailed you the docs and tags.....!

PS what is Edge? I have never heard of it.

PPS when I was on Windows 7 I had no problem either and I was using IE at the time (last cruise)

Wow, that is terrible that folks still can't print these docs/tags. I wonder why I had no problem at all....I don't get it as I am using a 4 year old HP desktop computer with Windows 8.1 and Chrome browser. Nothing special or fancy....and I don't have any advanced computer knowledge. The only issue I had was I saw nothing at first to print because the pop-up blocker was on. Once I enabled the site to allow a pop-up, there it was and I could print it. HAL had better fix the issue for everyone or go back to the good old days when they mailed you the docs and tags.....!

PS what is Edge? I have never heard of it.

PPS when I was on Windows 7 I had no problem either and I was using IE at the time (last cruise)

Edge is microsoft's internet surfer in Windows 10. (Like IE, Chrome, whatever - just a different browser).

HAL does have a warning not to have ad pop up blockers on which, hopefully people are noticing.