Be honest, what is the wait for "anytime dinning"?

LongHill44

On valor, table for two, we waited about 15 mins on formal night, only because we wanted a special table. Other nights, going before 7pm, we were seated right away. When we went with a party of 10, we waited max 15 mins except elegant night, where we waited 45 mins and had a pager, we went right at prime time, went to meet the captain about 730 pm and then signed up for a table. Wait times are very consistent with restaurants on land, small parties, no preference at a low peak time will have no wait. Before 7pm and after 830 pm will be best times for low or no wait.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our Magic & Freedom cruises in the past we sailed with a group of 6. Most nights we were seated within 5 minutes, if not right away. One elegant night we waited 15-20 minutes (Magic). We usually go to dinner pretty early - around 5:45-6:00. The time we waited, we just grabbed a cocktail from the lobby bar & relaxed in the comfy chairs.

I would think wait time would have a lot to do with how large your party is and what time you go to eat, just like in a land restaurant.

One way to avoid a long wait on formal night (elegant night) is to agree to share a table. on our last cruise, we got in the line, they asked if we were willing to share a table, we were, and they seated 7 of us within 5 minutes. Three couples, two of us celebrating anniversaries, one just married couple and a birthday girl. Very nice, all celebrating.

The longest we have had to wait was a party of 6, elegant night, 35 minutes. DH and I found that the later we went the less the wait, but when I get hungry, it's too late to get in line, so we try going in around 6:30, wait time on the last three cruises? about 10 minutes. I do think over the years, that the anytime dining crowd is getting larger.

For a two top and if you are not requesting a specific wait staff there is usually no wait for maybe a 5 minute wait. When cruising I stay up late so I get to the YTD as late as I can around 9:00pm. Even that late it may still be a 5 minute wait but at that time the the service is much faster because it is the end of service.

Not sure why anyone would fib about a wait time. :confused: We go early so no wait. It seems there's always a line around 7:00.

I’m guessing that while nobody would outright lie about the wait times, people do have a tendency to exaggerate how long something took.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m guessing that while nobody would outright lie about the wait times, people do have a tendency to exaggerate how long something took.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely! The people who say they’ve never waited less than 20mins for pizza have me wanting to time it next cruise.

I am curious if it takes more time or less time to do ATD? I have 6PM dinner and I know it will take 2 hours. Is it similar in ATD or slower or faster in general? Thanks!

I can't speak for others but in ATD we've never sat around for 2 hours. Anything more than an hour is overkill for us. It doesn't take us that long to eat. We like to try to be out in an hour if possible.

Regular nights we go to dinner around 730 and ask for a table for two and there's no wait. Elegant nights the wait is usually 20-30 min.

I second this. The most we have ever had to wait was around 15-20 minutes on elegant night and every other night we are seated right away.

Just had my third anytime dining cruise and we have not had to wait even once for seating. The Dream, the Paradise and the Elation. We have also showed up for seating at different times in the evening. Still no wait.

Something funny did happen last week on the Elation. I step off the elevator and the line to the dining room appears to be stretched into the Mikado lounge. I tell my wife we will just eat in the Lido because that is ridiculous and I am stepping into the bathroom first. When I come out, she says, that line is not for the dining room and we walk over and are seated immediately. They had setup a photo station on the same floor and apparently 200 people had made the same mistake I did and were standing in line for a photo op thinking they were in line for dinner. A Carnival employee realized that about 10 minutes later and told everyone and the line then emptied from the photo op and they seated everyone.

Our options at 8:15 seating or anytime dining. 8:15 is too late so how long of a wait is it on average for anytime dinning

How many people do you have? It's only 2 of us and the only wait we've ever had is on elegant night.

I am curious if it takes more time or less time to do ATD? I have 6PM dinner and I know it will take 2 hours. Is it similar in ATD or slower or faster in general? Thanks!

I timed it last week. about 1:45 to eat each night. I do not see much difference in how long the meal takes YTD versus assigned seating.

Our options at 8:15 seating or anytime dining. 8:15 is too late so how long of a wait is it on average for anytime dinning

I've always had YTD and never had to wait for more than 5 minutes but then again I go early when MDR opens