Exchanging old British pound notes for new ones

I had a £ (I think it was at 10 or 20) a few years ago, I tried to use it with the car service to LHR and LHR restaurant and they would not take it. I asked a customer at the restaurant if they saw any difference in the £ and could not. I was told to take it to one of the money exchange places at LHR. I had no problems exchanging it there.

If you want to get rid of your old notes I would not see it as an insult if you sent them to me!

The hotel staff will, in all likelihood, have UK bank accounts and will find it much easier to exchange than a tourist would (I appreciate that most of the staff encountered in the hospitality industry in London will not be UK nationals, but they will, most probably, have a UK bank account).

The hotel staff will, in all likelihood, have UK bank accounts and will find it much easier to exchange than a tourist would (I appreciate that most of the staff encountered in the hospitality industry in London will not be UK nationals, but they will, most probably, have a UK bank account).

I have significantly less confidence in that statement than you [emoji846] Also, there may be a tronc in operation and the tronc master is unlikely to be happy with non-legal tender!

But I think the poster who suggested this took on Globaliser’s excellent suggestion of donating to charity instead.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just typed a really long reply but CC had a defect. So, I'll reduce it to a simple question:

If all else fails, I will donate our old notes at LHR. We are flying VA upper class and theoretically have a unique security entrance. Will these pass any 'charity bins'?

If not, I will ask a VA employee to drop them in a bin for me. And if they don't because they need the money, fine with me.

ML

I just typed a really long reply but CC had a defect. So, I'll reduce it to a simple question:

If all else fails, I will donate our old notes at LHR. We are flying VA upper class and theoretically have a unique security entrance. Will these pass any 'charity bins'?

If not, I will ask a VA employee to drop them in a bin for me. And if they don't because they need the money, fine with me.

ML

Don't know about the bins, but I know some airlines come round with 'charity envelopes' for their charity of choice for that year. You could probably put them in there.

Don't know about the bins, but I know some airlines come round with 'charity envelopes' for their charity of choice for that year. You could probably put them in there.
Virgin Atlantic's charity is described here: https://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/sustainability/community/change-for-children.html

Incidentally, VA is Virgin Australia, not Virgin Atlantic (which is VS). This won't cause any difficulty in London, but could cause difficulties at airports where both airlines have a presence.

Thanks for this. We'll do this with any leftover pounds/euros and if we can't get to The Bank :D

Virgin Atlantic's charity is described here: https://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/sustainability/community/change-for-children.html

Incidentally, VA is Virgin Australia, not Virgin Atlantic (which is VS). This won't cause any difficulty in London, but could cause difficulties at airports where both airlines have a presence.

Globaliser

Thanks for that link, seems like an excellent cause.

Yes, brain fart on my part. I knew it was VS but I was tired when I saw the new post! Thanks for reminding me.

ML