Can men wear khaki shorts at MDR?

It's always fun to twist words around to suit what you want. The word suggestion has many meanings depending on the context. So a normal dinner attire for adults in a restaurant with table service that is not considered a fast serve restaurant, is usually long pants, and shoes/sneakers. So the suggestion is wear you big boy clothes. Now I like to wear shorts all day, just like anyone else, but the suggestion to look decent in the sit down restaurant (MDR), will be something I follow.

So if a guy sits down at my table, wearing basketball shorts, a t-shirt, and a baseball cap, because the sign says "suggestion", and they say, where, It's my vacation, and I will wear what I want, that's fine. But on the other hand, I would have lost respect from that person, because of what they wore to the table. A suggestion is also about respect.

I will continue to respect the suggestions, until they are changed. There is a time and place for everything, and the buffet might be that place.

Both the Compass and sometimes the sign outside the venues say almost exactly that - still not enforced.

I am looking at a Cruise Compass from two weeks ago for formal night. The bold text is bold in the Cruise Compass:

Tonight's Dinner Dress Suggestion

Formal attire is appropriate; which includes suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women.

No shorts allowed in the dining room at dinner.

On non-formal nights the Cruise Compass says "Sport shirts and trousers for the gentlemen".

The OP's question is "Can men wear khaki shorts at MDR?" The answer is that shorts for men are not appropriate, especially on formal night. However there will still be a handful of men wearing shorts in the MDR whether it is appropriate or not.

I was turned away from the MDR on the Grandeur for wearing khaki shorts on a non-formal night last year. I was sailing solo, so I didn't even think about it as it was a sea day and that's what i wore. (Also didn't have my wife with me going "we're going to dinner, you need to change!!!") The guy at the door was nice about it.

It's always fun to twist words around to suit what you want. The word suggestion has many meanings depending on the context. So a normal dinner attire for adults in a restaurant with table service that is not considered a fast serve restaurant, is usually long pants, and shoes/sneakers. So the suggestion is wear you big boy clothes. Now I like to wear shorts all day, just like anyone else, but the suggestion to look decent in the sit down restaurant (MDR), will be something I follow.

So if a guy sits down at my table, wearing basketball shorts, a t-shirt, and a baseball cap, because the sign says "suggestion", and they say, where, It's my vacation, and I will wear what I want, that's fine. But on the other hand, I would have lost respect from that person, because of what they wore to the table. A suggestion is also about respect.

I will continue to respect the suggestions, until they are changed. There is a time and place for everything, and the buffet might be that place.

Normal attire at sit down restaurants isn’t necessarily long pants. That may be your opinion or normal where you live but in Florida that is absolutely not the case. The same applies all over the south as well. I’ve been to nearly ever state in the US and during summer men in shorts are common place at restaurants. It just seems like the views of some are very far removed from reality and severely outdated.

And for those that don’t know what dress shorts are, think dress pants with about 28-30 inches less inches I n the pant leg material (ie. shorts). This is different that athletic shorts, cargo short (out of style for a while now) jean shorts (which have been out of style for a very long time now).

While I don’t care what others wear I’d much rather see someone in nice shorts, a nice shirt, etc than polyester high waters, orthodic shoes, an unkept dress shirt with a tie that stops before their belly button, more and mindy suspenders, and no jacket. Or a women who dresses like Maude with a 1970s outfit that looks like pajamas. Both of the latter outfits are common place on formal nights. Or better yet the guy who wears the zip away travel shorts/pants with a blue blazer and walking/hiking boots. And people are worried about shorts? Lol.

Fashion is subjective. Just go and have fun and don’t worry about others.

I guess some folks are concerned that the evening dining room will turn into California Casual -- jock straps and shower shoes. But I guess, what difference does it make. :rolleyes:

What part of California is this from? I think I have a guess.

Of course....because there are soooooo many bad things that can happen when folks wear shorts in the MDR.

Nothing bad. You can wear whatever you want. However, if you don't believe that dressing down for dinner makes it less of an "occasion" for both you and the people surrounding you, you are mistaken.

Nothing bad. You can wear whatever you want. However, if you don't believe that dressing down for dinner makes it less of an "occasion" for both you and the people surrounding you, you are mistaken.

Most people don’t base how special their dinner is by how other strangers dress for dinner. Maybe for you do but I’m sorry I think you are in the minority.

There is a reason even most business is casual. My dad wore a suit to work every single day when I was younger but the last 15 years of his career (recently retired) he rarely if ever wore more than a polo shirt. This was as a high level executive for a large global finance firm.

Times are different now.

Obviously, Royal is unwilling to alienate the population that is offended at being told to wear long pants and nice shirts, so, they suggest appropriate attire. There will always be those who say, " If it's not required, I'm not doing it." The suggestion is clear; they shouldn't have to list every possible type of wearing apparel that is suggested in order to make it clear what is appropriate--no normal person would assume that since pajamas aren't listed as in-appropriate, they must be appropriate. The suggestion is long pants and a nice shirt.

Why shorts are, by some, deemed so much easier to wear, I do not understand. Heat is no excuse: the dining rooms are air conditioned.

But, as has been noted in every reply, Royal won't turn anyone away--even the ones dressed like beach bums with ratty t-shirts and disreputable jeans--so wear what you want.

What is considered a nice shirt. Who decides if it is nice or not.

Exactly. Dress for the occasion and the location. It's a white tablecloth restaurant.

First time on RC and just wanna make sure it's ok for men to wear nice shirts at dinner. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I just got off the Allure and I was dining next to a table with someone in a tuxedo and another table with a guy in a tshirt and shorts on Formal night. They don't police.

Honestly you should be able to wear whatever you want as long as you are fully clothed. You’re paying for the cruise, you should be comfortable

I have never understood people that worry about what others wear to the point it ruins their vacation. If what others do or wear causes you that much of a problem you don’t belong in public much less on a cruise.

I am looking at a Cruise Compass from two weeks ago for formal night. The bold text is bold in the Cruise Compass:

Tonight's Dinner Dress Suggestion

Formal attire is appropriate; which includes suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women.

No shorts allowed in the dining room at dinner.

On non-formal nights the Cruise Compass says "Sport shirts and trousers for the gentlemen".

The OP's question is "Can men wear khaki shorts at MDR?" The answer is that shorts for men are not appropriate, especially on formal night. However there will still be a handful of men wearing shorts in the MDR whether it is appropriate or not.

Formal night attire should go without question but dinner attire on the other nights is just suggested attire and not mandatory. Thought it was listed this way in the compass as well?

How can you tell what makes something an "occasion" for me?

Honestly you should be able to wear whatever you want as long as you are fully clothed. You’re paying for the cruise, you should be comfortable

I have never understood people that worry about what others wear to the point it ruins their vacation. If what others do or wear causes you that much of a problem you don’t belong in public much less on a cruise.

I agree!! I think mainly this discussion is more about opinions on appropriate attire rather than who is offended by certain attire. These questions will always bring in several different opinions. Like you said, you should be able to wear whatever it is that makes you comfortable as long as you are clean and your clothes aren't torn. No need to be banished to the buffet for not wearing pants or dressy clothing.

There may be families who struggled to save for a cruise and don't have any extra money to buy suits that will never be worn again. I've seen you tube videos of large families with several kids in all age ranges and they wore t-shirts all week with jeans. I also saw other groups big and small post videos from the MDR wearing clothes I would probably go to the supermarket in. The were enjoying their meal while others in the background dressed nicer.

There are and always will be several threads on this topic. The best advice for those with questions, is wear what makes you the most comfortable and know there are 2 formal nights and the other evenings offer "suggested" attire.

Exactly. Dress for the occasion and the location. It's a white tablecloth restaurant.

So what? So they put a tablecloth on the table before rushing out the food. It's a cruise vacation in the Caribbean, relax.

For me personally, if my husband wore a sports jacket and pants or khaki shorts it wouldn't make it less of an occasion. It wouldn't affect me if the table next wore shorts, flip flops and t-shirts either. That's their prerogative. I make my own "occasions" special based on the company i'm with and not the attire my party is wearing or of those around me.

For me personally, if my husband wore a sports jacket and pants or khaki shorts it wouldn't make it less of an occasion. It wouldn't affect me if the table next wore shorts, flip flops and t-shirts either. That's their prerogative. I make my own "occasions" special based on the company i'm with and not the attire my party is wearing or of those around me.
Well said.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

I could understand people wanting shorts of there was no air condinting like many Caribbean restaurants ,but not on cruise ships . But on the other hand I am about to retire tux’s which I have worn on every cruise since mid 80’s but still will wear a jacket in formal nights .

I could understand people wanting shorts of there was no air condinting like many Caribbean restaurants ,but not on cruise ships . But on the other hand I am about to retire tux’s which I have worn on every cruise since mid 80’s but still will wear a jacket in formal nights .

I have sat there in a suit and tie on a ship and sweat bullets. What is comfortable for you may not be comfortable for someone else. Where I live restaurants are air conditioned and shorts/polo/boat shoes is still the predominant theme around town 12 months a year. It is "nothing" to walk into a restaurant as nice or nicer than a cruise ship MDR and be dressed that way. I'll be packing 2 or 3 pairs of pants for our 9 day cruise. The rest of the nights will be in shorts and polos or tommy bahama shirts.

Let me preface by saying that we haven't sailed with Royal in 10 years and we are going on the Enchantment next Monday for a quick four day Bahamas/Key West cruise. I'm assuming that nice shorts (think Tommy Bahama) and appropriate shirt would work for my husband?

Also, is the second night "formal night?" Assuming long pants here? We typically sail on Celebrity for longer cruises but this is just a quick getaway for us.