What HAL Momentos do you Bring Back From a Cruise

dag144

I was Sail7Seas post regarding HAL's soap. I always take some stuff from each cruise that I have taken. I have bottle of HAL's Royal Dutch shampoo with the Windmill and a pack of HAL's dark blue matches. I think I'll put these items in my will.

I will always regret not taking something from the old QE1. But alas I was a young buck and full of myself. I was on the second to last sailing from Cherbourg to NYC.

I, too, have a bottle of Royal Dutch Shampoo as well as a pack of the matches.

I used to bring home complete sets of the daily programs and dinner menus along with a few lunch menu and a generic breakfast menu. I have many, many, many. Recently, common sense has kicked in and I am much more selective in what I bring home. Key cards always are a part.

My most prized HAL possession is one I purchased many years ago: a crystal, limited edition and numbered goblet embossed with an imagine of Rotterdam V and the former HAL Cruises logo in recognition of the Line's 100th Anniversary.

We bring home our key cards and the daily programs. And I always pack home a bar of soap and a bottle of the hand lotion. But the big thing we do is that we always buy a t-shirt from each ship we sail on. I really liked the designs that had more about the itinerary than just the name of the ship, because while it's nice to remember which ship we were on, it's also nice to remember where we were on that ship.

We have all our key cards, too. Not much in the way of souvenirs any more. "Back in the day" we had nice prizes for team trivia: very nice luggage tags, key chains, and even compact umbrellas.

On my first cruises we got prizes for the trivia contests and the Daily Quiz, but that was back when they had actual librarians and not everyone had the internet in their pockets. We got some really nice prizes: travel alarm clocks (which still go with me on every cruise), compact umbrellas, key rings, coffee mugs, collapsible luggage, photo books, pens, etc. I wish they would go back to the branded prizes for trivia. That was fun. The pins they are giving out now are nice, but I really miss the better prizes. It was nice even after they stopped giving out the nice prizes and gave out the Dam Dollars as the prizes for you to collect and trade in for things at the end of the cruise -- one cruise we collected enough Dam Dollars to get sweatshirts, baseball caps, windbreakers, travel pillows, and a beach towel for everyone in the group!

I forgot to mention the wonderful martini shaker that came with a special martini. I got the beautiful shaker in the Ocean Bar of the Zaandam perhaps 10 to 15 years back. Its a beautiful chrome shaker, and I periodically use it.