Not going well on Sun cruise .

patannel

What I don’t understand is, if they knew they were going to be disrupting this much of the ship and passengers on this sailing, then why not market as a an “under construction” cruise?

Then sell it as a discount to the passengers with the knowledge some parts of the ship will be worked on at random times, locations, etc? I have a feeling they would still be able to fill the ship with locals or people who can’t normally afford to cruise (college kids etc.), without pissing off their normal sailing demographic.

By handling it in a wait and see fashion, they now have betrayed people’s trust, lost future revenue, have to offer the 25% voucher and now risk bad press. Why is NCL so against transparency?

Because they make lots and lots of money from obfuscation.

The Sun is going into dry dock in a few days after She disembarks passengers in San Francisco and then heads for Victoria.

Not uncommon at all for work to start early or continue after dry dock.

I doubt that the Captain did know any of the plans as he just boarded in Miami.

No master of any ship does not know what is going on with the ship. Changing of light bulbs, no doesn't need to know. But major work that effects areas of the ship are all cleared by the Captain through correct channels .

Hi Cheng - appreciate all your comments explaining the technical elements of ships.

On the profitability issue I do not understand this when the share prices of these companies have risen significantly as has the remuneration of the top executives (NCL CEO reported to have made over $30m in one year in another thread)?

Well, I'm no business major, for sure, but stock prices are only a measure of investor perception of the profitability of a company, and while a historically pretty accurate barometer of the status of the company it is not exact. As for CEO compensation, whether you think it is fair or not, this is sort of a fixed cost, as the company must pay a competitive package to attract the best talent. You need to compare this compensation with other similar companies in the industry, or similar sized companies outside the company, and as we've all seen in the past, CEO compensation is not tied to successful operation of the company, as many companies that have gone under paid their top executives not only top salaries but golden parachutes, and this comes out of the bankruptcy fund before the shareholders are paid.

The way I look at investing is return on investment. How much money does NCL make on the money invested in it, which either increases dividends paid to investors, or increases the company's net worth. Is this return better than another company, if the same amount of money is invested? If not, should I take my money elsewhere. Shipping is a capital intensive business that ties up vast amounts of capital in the long term assets (ships). I looked at ROI for a few cruise lines a while ago, and they were all in the 3-5% range, which is considered low to median.

Also, each ship is operated as it's own profit center, so a major hit to revenue like taking the ship out of service for an additional week, may drive the ship to an annual loss. This is why I believe you are seeing more and more of these kinds of pre- and post-drydock work being done in service.

No master of any ship does not know what is going on with the ship. Changing of light bulbs, no doesn't need to know. But major work that effects areas of the ship are all cleared by the Captain through correct channels .

That is not what people are saying. What they are saying is that he joined the ship at the start of the current cruise. Very likely he had no prior knowledge, before talking to the Captain he was relieving, about the scope of work being done. Why would he? He's not been anywhere near a ship for a couple of months, someone said he'd never been Captain before, and the Captain onboard the previous cruise would have been the one who was notified by corporate what was planned, and "cleared" by him, not the guy on vacation.

That is not what people are saying. What they are saying is that he joined the ship at the start of the current cruise. Very likely he had no prior knowledge, before talking to the Captain he was relieving, about the scope of work being done. Why would he? He's not been anywhere near a ship for a couple of months, someone said he'd never been Captain before, and the Captain onboard the previous cruise would have been the one who was notified by corporate what was planned, and "cleared" by him, not the guy on vacation.

I understand how he joined the ship. But what you need to understand is a Captain does not just come on a ship get handed the "keys" and the other Captain leaves. It is a big deal when a Captain tuns a ship over, and a complete report of everything on the ship, for the upcoming cruise/deployment is included.

After the new Captain is on the ship he meets with his department heads, and they go over detailed reports. Before the Captain can pull away from the dock he needs to know everything about his ship.

The master is responsible for the lives and safety of everyone on that ship. If he did not know basic information, like what work is ongoing on his ship it is grounds to remove him/her as Captain. He could be removed by the Cruise line or Coast Guard , or the government agency in the country the ship is flagged.

It would be impossible for the Captain not to know about the work on his ship.

I understand how he joined the ship. But what you need to understand is a Captain does not just come on a ship get handed the "keys" and the other Captain leaves. It is a big deal when a Captain tuns a ship over, and a complete report of everything on the ship, for the upcoming cruise/deployment is included.

After the new Captain is on the ship he meets with his department heads, and they go over detailed reports. Before the Captain can pull away from the dock he needs to know everything about his ship.

The master is responsible for the lives and safety of everyone on that ship. If he did not know basic information, like what work is ongoing on his ship it is grounds to remove him/her as Captain. He could be removed by the Cruise line or Coast Guard , or the government agency in the country the ship is flagged.

It would be impossible for the Captain not to know about the work on his ship.

And, again, you are not understanding what is being said. And I have worked with Captains, and seen their reliefs, for over 40 years, and do the same thing in my position. Everything you say is correct, but just as you said, he must meet with the offgoing Captain to get the report of everything that is going on. The poster, way back on page one of this thread, said the Captain did not know about the work to be performed beforehand, meaning before he walked on the ship. So, he expressed surprise to that poster (a passenger onboard) about the scope of work planned, since he did not expect that, and since this was his first tour on the ship had not been part of any previous planning correspondence. The Captain did not say, according to the poster who reported it, that he "didn't know what was going on", he said he didn't know "beforehand" what was going on.

And, if you believe that the Captain "knows everything he needs to know" before leaving the dock, you are seriously misinformed. There is no way that "everything" can be discussed in a few hours, let alone have "meetings with department heads" (doesn't happen). Things are discussed between Captains, written handover documents cover the salient points, and the Captain will get up to speed with the minutiae of ship's operation over the next few days.

My guess is that it is replacing Las Ramblas - deck 12 aft. We were on 2 week cruises on the Sun in 2016 and 2017 and that space was underutilized.

As mentioned, what that ship really could use is a O'Sheehan's type restaurant to provide an alternative to the cramped buffet.

My thoughts as well. We love Las Rambles but it never has been a place that seems to excite many. The inside bar area near the buffet and also near Las Rambles is my version of O'Sheehan's.

If Las Ramblas is going, that makes me sad - I loved that space. Of course, we used to spend money there when pre-UBP & the new all-inclusive...I guess they need to make money somehow. Heard the observation lounge was going, too, but no word on what it was going to be. If they turned it into a real O'Sheehan's, that would be cool - if they turned it into suites like they did to a similar area on the Dawn, then that would be a shame. The Sun is my favorite ship, and I've sailed her 3 times, with a 4th coming up. It feels like some of the things I really liked about her are being ruined. I've got my fingers crossed that NCL knows what they're doing, and my next Sun cruise will be the best one yet...

My guess is that it is replacing Las Ramblas - deck 12 aft. We were on 2 week cruises on the Sun in 2016 and 2017 and that space was underutilized.

As mentioned, what that ship really could use is a O'Sheehan's type restaurant to provide an alternative to the cramped buffet.

That would be my guess too. We've only been on the Sun once for 12 days and that place was empty.

Yeah sure. Seems like google is has friend and he likes to make things up.

Here's an Easter greeting, with a photo from my office window showing how we show our pride in being a US flag vessel, anchored at White Castle, LA, in the Mississippi River. And if you think I got this off Google, there are details in the photo that show that this is one of only three ships in the world that fly the US flag. See if you can figure them out, and know what type of ship it is.

I see that your post claiming the throne of England has been removed, but Happy Easter anyway, Your Majesty.

And that is the last time I will debate my maritime qualifications with you, and will let this thread return to the details of the work being done on the ship and the compensation being offered.

DSC00301.jpg.cec50bddd8cfa6e74cd0927ff63f1efb.jpg

Here's an Easter greeting, with a photo from my office window showing how we show our pride in being a US flag vessel, anchored at White Castle, LA, in the Mississippi River. And if you think I got this off Google, there are details in the photo that show that this is one of only three ships in the world that fly the US flag. See if you can figure them out, and know what type of ship it is.

I see that your post claiming the throne of England has been removed, but Happy Easter anyway, Your Majesty.

And that is the last time I will debate my maritime qualifications with you, and will let this thread return to the details of the work being done on the ship and the compensation being offered.

Happy Easter to you and your family.

I deeply appreciate your military service and all your wonderful wisdom not only on this thread but on many others.

Some day I would love the pleasure of meeting you in person.

Mandy

I deeply appreciate your military service and all your wonderful wisdom not only on this thread but on many others.

Mandy

Ditto on everything said above!

I don't want to hijack this thread. I started one asking what Star is due for since I'm on my first NCL cruise on the upcoming TA and she's scheduled for dry dock after we disembark in Barcelona. Reading this thread, I'm fairly concerned. If anyone knows what Star is due for, and whether the renovations are expected to be this extensive, I'd really appreciate your posting in that thread.

Mandy

No real military service, a couple of years of Naval Reserve duty, but that's it. I did support our troops by bringing supplies to the Vietnam and both Gulf Wars, but they are the heroes.

Here's an Easter greeting,

Thanks for this and I'm sorry you were ever made to feel it necessary to show proof of your very obvious and well respected knowledge. The time you take to share it with us here on CC is appreciated.

Happy Easter

If Las Ramblas is going, that makes me sad - I loved that space. Of course, we used to spend money there when pre-UBP & the new all-inclusive...I guess they need to make money somehow. Heard the observation lounge was going, too, but no word on what it was going to be. If they turned it into a real O'Sheehan's, that would be cool - if they turned it into suites like they did to a similar area on the Dawn, then that would be a shame. The Sun is my favorite ship, and I've sailed her 3 times, with a 4th coming up. It feels like some of the things I really liked about her are being ruined. I've got my fingers crossed that NCL knows what they're doing, and my next Sun cruise will be the best one yet...

Really? Las Ramblas was a weird and honestly not very tasty spot in my opinion. If I recall correctly it felt more like the bar for Cagney’s ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If NCL cannot be trusted then why not just cancel your cruise now and cruise a different cruise line?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll check out the ship before final payment. Check reviews, dry dock schedule, and policy changes.

I have a Celebrity cruise booked a couple of months later. I'll probably do one or the other, and it will likely be the other. It's too bad. NCL's freestyle got me back into cruising years ago, way back when the Majesty sailed. I've always liked the shipboard attitude of NCL.

Interesting...where are you seeing the pictures?

Rumor on another thread mentioned the observation lounge going away, which I didn't want to hear - this news about Los Lobos doesn't thrill me either. I really like the Sun, but taking away a great space and adding another fee restaurant when the Sun doesn't even have an O' Sheehan's kind of stinks, IMO. It would be cool if the observation lounge became an O' Sheehan's though...

Observation longue is becomg spinnakers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

How about a refund of 25% or so or a 50% future cruise credit for those willing to take a chance with them again? Customer choice.

I think a 50% future cruise credit based on what they paid for this cruise would be appropriate. But if you look back, they only offered those on the Breakaway who think they went right through a a bomb cyclone (which they did not, they were behind it), they only offered them the 25% of their fare off another cruise, so this might have now become their standard offer.

I think a 50% future cruise credit based on what they paid for this cruise would be appropriate. But if you look back, they only offered those on the Breakaway who think they went right through a a bomb cyclone (which they did not, they were behind it), they only offered them the 25% of their fare off another cruise, so this might have now become their standard offer.

A 25% credit would be more appropriate for an accident or unplanned problem, But NCL knew that they were going to screw this group of passengers.

In fact, they had to plan far ahead to do it. They just didn't grab all of those materials and construction workers because they saw them hanging around the port and say "Oh hell, you guys aren't doing anything this week so why don't you just grab all of that crap just sitting over there, come on board, and we'll get a few things done".

NCL saved some time and money by intentionally screwing the passengers, and are basically offering them 12.5% off of this crappy cruise if they will take a chance and book another cruise (hopefully not as crappy) at 12.5% off (cruise fare only).and take it within a year.

And then an insincere apology to boot.

No real military service, a couple of years of Naval Reserve duty, but that's it. I did support our troops by bringing supplies to the Vietnam and both Gulf Wars, but they are the heroes.

Just returned today from the NCL Breakaway. Was thinking of you during the Q & A with the captain and chief engineer. Someone asked the chief engineer how long it took to get his position...he said about 10 years of school, training and on the job experience.

ps...I'm also one that enjoys that you share your experience and knowledge here.