Help me choose a ship!

Sammycupcaker

We are a family of 5 driving to Texas for a wedding in Oct. We are looking to book a cruise. I have it narrowed down to 4 cruises

1) Fantasy out of Mobile 5 day

2) Valor out of Galveston 5 day

3) Triumph out of New Orleans 5 day

4) Freedom out of Galveston 7 days.

I would love to do the Vista, but it is a Sunday wedding.

We have done cruises with all 5 of us in one room, but that was with the Deluxe Ocean View. Not sure how 5 in a room on any of these ships would work. My 8 year old enjoys sleeping between beds, so a trundle would be ok I guess. I was also thinking of doing 2 rooms maybe.

Looking for opinions. I know all about the issues that the Triumph has had.

This is hard for us to answer because it is about what is important to you.

I think it is more important what the itinerary is, and doing as may days for the best price as you can. Five people in a room is going to depend on what kind of room you get. Inside room versus a suite is going to be VERY different.

I would first consider your budget, then consider which is more important space for you or a longer cruise. Try to find a good fit for the most days you can cruise, and the biggest room you can get (or two rooms to be even better - maybe one inside, and one ocean view or balcony right across from it) and make sure the ports are interesting to you with things you think look like fun to do.

I think these things are more important than being on a "specific" ship.

The ports are the same on 3 of the 4 ships, that’s why I was trying to get a feeling of what ship might be best for an 13, 11 and 9 year old. We’ve been to all of the ports before and can find fun things at all of them.

We would be looking at either interior or ocean view.

7 day cruise would win in my book!! lol, I have sailed the Triumph twice, once in 2002 & 2007, no issue either time. Texas is a big state to drive thru, my home state but now I live in Michigan. Good luck choosing and have fun. We are on the Horizon but not till December.

We are a family of 5 driving to Texas for a wedding in Oct. We are looking to book a cruise. I have it narrowed down to 4 cruises

1) Fantasy out of Mobile 5 day

2) Valor out of Galveston 5 day

3) Triumph out of New Orleans 5 day

4) Freedom out of Galveston 7 days.

I would love to do the Vista, but it is a Sunday wedding.

We have done cruises with all 5 of us in one room, but that was with the Deluxe Ocean View. Not sure how 5 in a room on any of these ships would work. My 8 year old enjoys sleeping between beds, so a trundle would be ok I guess. I was also thinking of doing 2 rooms maybe.

Looking for opinions. I know all about the issues that the Triumph has had.

We always do 2 rooms - a balcony for us and the kids across the hall in an inside. We would chose a shorter cruise to make that happen in any given budget. But again, its your priorities - it's just not a vacation for us if our boys are in the room under foot.

Now, that aside, I would pick 7 days over 5 any time...except if I had not been to NO and could combine that like we did with a 5 days cruise. We LOVED the Triumph - some of the best service/crew we have had. LAST choice would be Fantasy - unless she has balconies when you are going...not sure when/if those are being added.

Well automatically I would want to choose the 7 day. I know that everyone has both good and bad opinions about the Fantasy class ships, but I learned that after our Elation cruise we need to avoid them if we have our kids. Both dh and I, personally, don’t mind them at all. However, my kids missed the seaside theatre every night. I didn’t realize how much they enjoy either swimming and watching a movie at night or cuddled up on a lounger with pizza and ice cream watching the movie. Now that we know, we will just plan accordingly.

I would definitely choose 2 rooms though. As for the ships themselves, I would easily pick either the Triumph, Freedom, or Valor.

This decision is over before it started....7 days always trumps 5 days. As we dig a little further, the tale of the tape.

Fantasy....1990...70 K tons

Triumph...1999..101 K tons

Valor........2004..110 K tons

Freedom.2007..110 K tons

Besides being longer by 2 days, the Freedom is the newest built and largest of your choices.

I really like the Conquest class (Freedom and Valor), never considered a cruise less than 7 days, but dearly love NOLA as a home port.

Regarding 2 rooms, I would do it if you can. Two insides are going to feel a lot better than one balcony.

I would have to go with the Freedom here.

Freedom and Valor should essentially be the same ship. Freedom and Triumph are similar but on freedom you get fridges in your rooms, a bit bigger buffet, a red frog pub and some additional food options like the bbq place. Haven’t done fantasy but have done her sister ship elation. A step down from the others.

Freedom for me. Longest cruise and probably the best of the ships.

My pick would be 2 cabins on Freedom out of Galveston. When we used to travel with the kids, we put the 3 of them in a cabin next to us. That way, we have a little privacy as well as 2 bathrooms. Freedom & Valor are the same class ship, but I like 7 nights better than 5 nights. And, if you go with Freedom and anytime dining, see if John Alex & his team are still on board. Great dining experience with them!