Adjusting to jet lag from the U.S.

We are flying from the U.S. to Sydney. We have never been on a flight this long before. If we are lucky, our flight will take us about 18 hours, and get us there 2 days later (considering the 16 hour time difference). How many days in advance do you recommend flying in to adjust to the jet lag and still be able to spend a day seeing the sites of Sydney. We are planning on the Harbour Bridge Climb, the Opera House tour, taking a Harbour Ferry tour of some sort. And do you have any advice on things to do or to avoid to assist in adjusting to the lag?

Thank you!

Welcome to Australia.

It’s a killer flight,I think the jet lag is worse going east,when you are going home.but either way it’s unpleasant.

I would plan for two days to get over jet lag.

SO FIND A NICE HOTEL AND RELAX.

Your flight should arrive early in the morning ,try to stay awake all day .

a cat nap is fine for a hour but try to adjust you body clock and stay awake.go for a swim.

Next day you will wake up early and won’t be able to sleep and be sleepy in the afternoon.go for a swim.

Third day you should be fine

hi

We annually fly New Zealand to Europe, and I can honestly say I have never suffered from jet-lag. Weariness, yes, but not that 'my body says it's 3a.m. but it's actually 6p.m' feeling.

Many many years ago I was advised to do the following and for me it works.

The minute you get on board your flight, set your watch to the time that your arrival airport is on. I always do this and I believe that's what the flight attendants do too.

And in case you're wondering - no we're not spring chickens, both of us are senior citizens!!

Works for me!!

Edited by Korimako
spelling

Thank you both for your responses! While we are not (quite) senior citizens, we don't run with the young crowd either! Gone are the days of staying out late, and sleeping in!

From what I can gather, taking it easy that first day will be best, without napping. Maybe stroll around the area. We are wanting to stay close to the port, and please correct me if I am wrong, but the Opera house is within walking distance of the hotels close by the port. That sounds like a nice easy adventure for the first day. Then the next day, after a good nights sleep, maybe we will be ready to take on the bridge climb!

I still have a significant amount of research to do. And I'm sure I'm putting the proverbial cart before the horse. I'm still not even able to book flights at this point as it is too early. But I am a planner, and it is just what I do.

Sounds like a good plan...and, yes, if you are in a Hotel near "Circular Quay" or "The Rocks"...you will be within walking distance of the Cruise Terminal and the Opera House and the Ferry wharf.

We are also flying into Sydney. We live in St. Louis, Mo, right in the middle of the US, so we have an extra 6 hours to LA. I have read posts about the jet lag. They say it’s best if you have dinner, watch a movie, then take a sleep aid and try to sleep as much as you can.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We travelled Melbourne to LA (and cruised back to Sydney) with 2 young kids. We left Melb at 930am and arrived the same day at 630am! Our goal was to stay awake until 6pm. We kept busy, caught a bus into Hollywood, walked around for most of the day, swam in the pool in the late afternoon, then finally around 6, our daughters asked for dinner and we went to sleep at around 8:30 pm. The next morning, there was not one hint of jet lag!

So my advice is keep busy and try your hardest to adjust to the times ASAP!

Living in Australia, we have done a lot of long flights (to Europe and to USA several times each and to South America and to South Africa a few times each). My advice is to drink as much water and fruit juice as you can during the flight. Getting up and walking to get the drinks also give you some mild exercise.

The only time I had serious jet lag was returning from Europe when the plane was only one-third full (wouldn't happen these days). Because I had to start work when I got home, I stretched out on a middle row of four seats and slept most of the way. This did nothing for my body clock but it resulted in serious dehydration. I felt awful for about three days. And yes - it was an east-bound flight that people who fly international regularly say is worse than west-bound.

Something else that helps tremendously - compression socks. Mine are very strong elastic and go nearly to my knees. They cost me $70+. There are cheaper ones, but I don't think they would be as effective. The socks help with circulation and mean that I get off a long international flight with absolutely no ankle swelling. I wear them even on the hour-and-a-half flight between Brisbane and Sydney and I definitely feel fresher then on flights before I had the socks.

To sum up my hints - water and compression socks!! I also agree with the point made previously - when you arrive at your destination, don't just go to bed, change your activities to the local time.

Definitely agree with everyone that going East is worse than going West. We find that because the flights from LA board around 10-11pm, that makes it a bit easier to get a bit of sleep on the plane first up.

Set your watch to destination time ASAP, and try to stick to that on the plane, even if it's too bright / dark outside.

I would aim to arrive 2 days before. The first day, all you want to do is get to your hotel, rest, maybe wander around and push through until 6-8pm before going to bed. The next full day can be spent exploring, and then on the next day you get on the ship.

If you're interested in the Opera House, they do a number of different tours. I believe the standard tour is about an hour and runs throughout the day. We did the backstage tour a few years ago for our anniversary and it runs daily at 7am. If you have an interest in learning a bit more about the place and what happens backstage, I can highly recommend that tour. You could even do it in the morning before your cruise and get back to the hotel in time to check out and walk back over to OPT.

The bridge climb is super nice too - it's not as scary as it looks as you're a long way from the edge at all time, and you are always connected via a safety harness. Definitely an experience worth doing.

You can also take a ferry across to Taronga Zoo in Mosman, or to Manly Beach. If you know your dates, you can look up what shows, musicals etc are playing in Sydney. If you had more time I'd suggest driving up to the Blue Mountains, maybe even as far as Jenolan Caves (there are tours too).

Good luck and enjoy!

I wont comment on the jet lag as this has been answered already, but I would recommend you book the bridge climb long in advance because it fills up.

As for a ferry ride, I would also recommend Manly. When you get off the ferry at manly walk across to the beach on the other side where there are some great restaurants to stop in.

I'm from Melbourne, but make Manly a must do every time I am in Sydney.

You guys are amazing! Thank you for all of the useful information! The ferry ride Is another low energy activity that will allow us to take in some of the sites around Sydney. I feel like we can do that on the first day to keep us from wanting to curl up and take a nap. I am just waiting to book the bridge climb till we have our flight information confirmed. That is one thing I planned on booking early because I didn’t want to miss out!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The hotels around circular quay are expensive and Sydney is one of the most expensive cities in the world.

We have a extremely good train system and there’s a station right at circular quay,so if you’re budget isn’t like bill gates.there are cheaper hotels and all you need is a station near your hotel.

Also important to try and get outside and into the sunshine as much as you can on your first full day in Sydney (without getting sun burnt of course) as the natural light will help your body clock readjust. Try to stay awake till 6pm even if it is tough and then you'll have a better chance of a good night's sleep. I find westbound jetlag lasts one day if I sleep well on the flight or 3-4 days if I can't sleep so I take over the counter sleeping tablets to try and help me nod off.

I have done many of these long flights. To fly Boston to SE Asia is no less than 24 counting all legs, with the big leg being 14 to 16 hours. As others have said, I do not get much Jet Lag flying East to West (Boston to Asia) but coming back I do have issues for about 3 days. One day to adjust is what I would do, depending upon time you land. If you land evening late (IE Tuesday Night, take Tuesday Wednesday Night). But you could do two days if you believe you need it.

It is important you sleep on the plane, even if you do not think you can sleep close your eyes and don't open them. If you don't sleep the darkness will help you, but most people fall a sleep. Drink lots of water, eat food and don't drink alcoholic drinks. I have made this trip more than 50 times and this is what has worked for me. Have a great cruise.

Consider at least 3 days in Sydney. That way if you find it tough to adjust, you have a day up your sleeve. If you adapt well, you have an extra day - there is plenty to do in and around Sydney and you may be wishing you had more time.

After all how often are you going to get over here?

Cheers

Living in Australia, we have done a lot of long flights (to Europe and to USA several times each and to South America and to South Africa a few times each). My advice is to drink as much water and fruit juice as you can during the flight. Getting up and walking to get the drinks also give you some mild exercise.

The only time I had serious jet lag was returning from Europe when the plane was only one-third full (wouldn't happen these days). Because I had to start work when I got home, I stretched out on a middle row of four seats and slept most of the way. This did nothing for my body clock but it resulted in serious dehydration. I felt awful for about three days. And yes - it was an east-bound flight that people who fly international regularly say is worse than west-bound.

Something else that helps tremendously - compression socks. Mine are very strong elastic and go nearly to my knees. They cost me $70+. There are cheaper ones, but I don't think they would be as effective. The socks help with circulation and mean that I get off a long international flight with absolutely no ankle swelling. I wear them even on the hour-and-a-half flight between Brisbane and Sydney and I definitely feel fresher then on flights before I had the socks.

To sum up my hints - water and compression socks!! I also agree with the point made previously - when you arrive at your destination, don't just go to bed, change your activities to the local time.

As a nurse, I 100% agree with compression socks! I own quite a few pair of high quality ones myself! They may not be the most stylish attire, but I can only imagine what my ankles would look like after an 18 hour flight! And getting up and moving in that pressurized box is so important!

• 2 weeks later...

The harbour ferries are definitely a good first-day plan. The public ferries are frequent and cheap, and you can hop on and off at different locations and really get a feel of the city. Darling harbour is a nice trip too, as is rose bay. It would be good to get an opal card soon after arrival for ferries - it's a tap on/tap off card that acts as your ticket and caps your travel costs.

I'd personally aim for three days before at least. Book the bridge climb in advance and give yourself a day or two to adjust before. Take the first day gently like you say, ferry rides, maybe an opera house tour, a walk around the botanic gardens. The extra day gives you the chance to do some of your must-see things if you're too tired on day one, and if you've been feeling great it gives you the chance to go further afield or try something else. A day trip to the blue mountains would be great, a beach day in the city, lots of great areas to visit in the city if you have the time.

Re:jet lag, I find it worse coming to Aus from the US for some reason. Stay hydrated, rest on the flight if you can (noise cancelling headphones, neck pillows, eye masks, whatever it takes!) and get plenty of daylight on your first day.

My doctor gave me some good advice for getting over jet lag. After you arrive and freshen up at your hotel, get some sunshine and walk bare foot on grass. If you arrive in the morning eat protein, if you arrive in the afternoon eat carbs e.g. pasta and no protein. The body has to work harder to metabolise protein which keeps you awake. Hydrate well and get in to your destination time zone as soon as you get on the plane with meals and sleep. If you really need to sleep when you arrive at uour destination try and only have a short nap of 30 minutes. You will need 2 days & nights to get in to the local time zone.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

Avoid alcohol and caffeine on the plane

Try to sleep on the plane

Don't take a nap on your first day

We generally are excited when we arrive at a new destination so jet lag generally is not so bad.

We used the airlines travel agent who got us a good rate in The Rocks area which is in easy walking distance to the bridge and the opera house.

You guys are amazing! Thank you for all of the useful information! The ferry ride Is another low energy activity that will allow us to take in some of the sites around Sydney. I feel like we can do that on the first day to keep us from wanting to curl up and take a nap. I am just waiting to book the bridge climb till we have our flight information confirmed. That is one thing I planned on booking early because I didn’t want to miss out!

Speaking of flights, do use ITA Matrix in your routing research. There are bizclass bargains to be found if you're willing to do certain connecting flights like SFO to SYD via Seoul on Asiana.

As for pre-cruise arrival, I suggest three nights in Sydney.

• 4 weeks later...

If you are not intending Los Angeles to be part of your vacation, check out flights leaving from Houston. At least the St. Louis to Houston would seem like on/off compared to STL to LAX.There are direct flights to Sydney now from IAH.

I can't wait for my Oz to Kiwi cruise in Feb 2019.

I don't think using Oz and Kiwi is offensive, is it?:o

I'm a proud Cheesehead.:p