Special needs meals - have you had success in getting food altered

Valiamo

Has anyone had any success in getting meal items altered to suit a medical condition? How did you go about getting the food altered, and did you do anything special to arrange for it?

I recently kicked Cancer’s butt (Stage 2 throat and neck), but through my treatments took some collateral damage to my throat. No taste (other than spicy hurts and no saliva) I can basically eat any type of non-spiced food, it just has to be pureed to the consistency of baby food.

I can survive on soft foods Bananas, oatmeal, eggs, and drinking meal replacement shakes (Boost, protein powder, and instant breakfast) but would love to have some more substantial food items.

We have an unplanned Alaskan cruise on the Star coming up real soon, we got offered a JS(oops, mini-suite) package for less than the price of an ocean view cabin and it even included specialty dining. (we just could not pass it up).

Edited by Valiamo

I have no idea what a JS package is, but....

Getting special food for any reason is easy. It doesn't sound like you need special things brought on board, so no need to notify them in advance. Talk to the head server the first time you enter the dining room and explain your needs--they will be met.

They will toss anything into a blender for babies and young children so don't know why they wouldn't do it for you. And they are happy to do special preps without spices, etc.

Daughter had no problem having her needs met in the time before and after jaw surgery.

Edited by moki'smommy

I have no idea what a JS package is' date=' but....

Getting special food for any reason is easy. It doesn't sound like you need special things brought on board, so no need to notify them in advance. Talk to the head server the first time you enter the dining room and explain your needs--they will be met.

They will toss anything into a blender for babies and young children so don't know why they wouldn't do it for you. And they are happy to do special preps without spices, etc.[/quote']

Thanks...

BTW a JS is a Mini-Suite (thinking of Royal)

I have first hand experience with this on Princess. A couple of years ago we had a transatlantic cruise booked. A few weeks before I had some major dental issues with my lower back teeth and planned to get implants when the cruise was over. Needless to say, eating would be very difficult.

The advice given to me, and it worked better than I could imagine was to check the Patter as soon as I got on board and find where the maître meets to address any dietary issues that first afternoon.

He then passes the information on to the head waiter. They will meet you at your table every single night, let you look over the next days menu, and make any adjustments necessary. If nothing is suitable, they will talk to you about your preferences and make you special meals to suit.

My husband was often jealous of what was appearing on my plate each night, lol.

So the waiter served the food to me and the head waiter would pop by to make sure all was as it should be. He seemed delighted when I enjoyed his creations. They couldn’t have been more accommodating and everyone got an extra tip at the end of the cruise. Btw, we were in an obstructed ocean view cabin and are non drinkers so not big spenders but that had no influence on the way I was treated.

No need to advise in advance of that first day meeting with the maître de.

Enjoy your cruise and congrats on your outcome.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My wife has also kicked cancer a few times and has come out of it lactose intolerant and allergic to shellfish. Each night when we are seated in the MDR, we ask for the headwaiter. If we have TD, they know to get him. We get his name the first night so we can ask for him if AD. We always try to eat in the same MDR, so we get the same Head Waiter.

He will bring the next night's menu so he and my wife can review it. He records her picks to give our waiter the next night. He will suggest off the menu options as well as modifications to help her.

The do a GREAT job.

The advice given to me, and it worked better than I could imagine was to check the Patter as soon as I got on board and find where the maître meets to address any dietary issues that first afternoon.

He then passes the information on to the head waiter. They will meet you at your table every single night, let you look over the next days menu, and make any adjustments necessary. If nothing is suitable, they will talk to you about your preferences and make you special meals to suit.

No need to meet with the Maitre d' for this. Just see your headwaiter the first evening in your dining room.

My wife has also kicked cancer a few times and has come out of it lactose intolerant and allergic to shellfish. Each night when we are seated in the MDR, we ask for the headwaiter. If we have TD, they know to get him. We get his name the first night so we can ask for him if AD. We always try to eat in the same MDR, so we get the same Head Waiter.

He will bring the next night's menu so he and my wife can review it. He records her picks to give our waiter the next night. He will suggest off the menu options as well as modifications to help her.

The do a GREAT job.

Congrats to your wife on kicking Cancer! Glad to hear that she was able to get some food that she could eat. I am much encouraged and looking forward to our cruise.

No need to meet with the Maitre d' for this. Just see your headwaiter the first evening in your dining room.

Thanks. I suspected that the headwaiter would be the one to see, and will connect with them on the first night.

Our daughter-in-law has a severe onion allergy. You'd be surprised what things you don't realize would have onions.

The head waiters on both Princess and Royal Caribbean were very accommodating to her needs.

I have first hand experience with this on Princess. A couple of years ago we had a transatlantic cruise booked. A few weeks before I had some major dental issues with my lower back teeth and planned to get implants when the cruise was over. Needless to say, eating would be very difficult.

Thanks for the detail, this is just what I needed to see. I am so much encouraged that I can eat more than oatmeal and bananas. :D

My husband has celiac and can't eat gluten. Princess has been very accommodating to him and varies the meals based on his allergy. The head waiter brought the menu over the night before so he could order the next day's dinner.

Thanks for the detail. My wife is celiac as well, and we know how accommodating with GF foods, I just hate to have to have them puree prime rib so I can eat, but that is what I will be doing.

Embrace the power of "and". ;)

Go to the Princess' website, then "Manage My Cruise", and then the "Accessibility

and Dietary Requirements" webpage well before the cruise, AND then see the

maître d' during "office hours" on embarkation day to confirm.

BTW, Princess also offers large-print menus on that webpage, too.

Our daughter-in-law has a severe onion allergy. You'd be surprised what things you don't realize would have onions.

The head waiters on both Princess and Royal Caribbean were very accommodating to her needs.

Wow! so happy to hear about someone else who has an onion allergy. I also have to read each label and be so careful of what I buy and eat.

I have found a salad dressing (Sprouts Italian) that is onion free and I bring it with me on my cruise. I also found a fish tarter sauce (Wow Wee) that is onion free and bring it because I love to order fish.

People are surprised and doubt that onions are responsible for my severe Migraine headaches.

I love to be on a cruise because the Head waiter takes care of all my needs (a special tip goes to him at the end of the cruise) and helps me decide on the meals for the following days. What a vacation from shopping and cooking.

The kitchen seems to think that because they are making my meals separately they have to give me a larger portion than the regular dishes. I try to tell them that I am not a big eater and please don't over do on the portion. I usually get whatever there is on the regular menu, just made separate without onions. A few times they have even made something for me that is not on the menu.

You will still need to be very careful up in the Horizon Buffet and at the other food venues around. If you are going to eat in one of the specialty restaurants, it is wise to talk to them maybe the day before.

Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy your special meals

People are surprised and doubt that onions are responsible for my severe Migraine headaches.

Interesting you should mention migraines. Her symptoms when she accidentally eats onions are not what you think of when you hear allergy, too. She virtually collapses. Pain, extreme fatigue.

Some headwaiters must be better than the ones we had on the Royal and the Regal. Neither seemed that interested in making sure DH's special dietary needs were met. In his case, though, he can usually find something on the menu to order that doesn't need modifying. DH hasn't persisted much, though, which is probably why they don't put forth an effort.

Wow : you are scaring me! My first Princess cruise will be in may on the Royal and I'm severely allergic to garlic, I never had any problem on others cruiselines. Hope it'll work well, or I might collapse too! I have sent my "diet" email when I booked and received a positive answer, but if the headwaiter doesn't care........

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Forums

We have had both good and bad experiences. Dh has severe swelling issues and must watch the salt.

On one cruise they were excellent, and we could tell by his breathing how well they handled it. The next cruise on Princess the head waiter told us it was of no importance as they didn't add much salt to their foods and started to walk away. I had to call him back and INSIST strongly. He reluctantly agreed to take on the job.

The next evening his meal, to me, did not seem to be closely attended to on the salt front. I mentioned to my waitress how severe his problems were and SHE told me SHE would be certain his meals were carefully prepared. Although the head waiter took his order every evening for the next night, I credit our waitress for monitoring the situation the remainder of the cruise.

It does seem to matter who your head waiter is and whether they think your problem is enough for them to be bothered with. If you get a dud for a head waiter, be firm.

Thanks for the detail, this is just what I needed to see. I am so much encouraged that I can eat more than oatmeal and bananas. :D

I am confident that Princess will be able to handle your dietary restrictions with no problem. We travel with our profoundly handicapped son who can only eat puréed foods. He has been on four princess cruises with three different ships. We met with the head waiter of our dining room the first day of each cruise and explained our son’s dietary needs. He then came to our table every evening with the next night’s menu so we could choose his meal. If we decided to go to the pub lunch, or specialty restaurant for dinner we would just call the dining room and ask to speak to our head waiter and tell him where to bring our son’s food. They have always done so with a smile as if it was no bother at all.

Wow : you are scaring me! My first Princess cruise will be in may on the Royal and I'm severely allergic to garlic, I never had any problem on others cruiselines. Hope it'll work well, or I might collapse too! I have sent my "diet" email when I booked and received a positive answer, but if the headwaiter doesn't care........

My cruise partner is also severely allegic to garlic, and has had no issues on any of our cruises - she checks with the head waiter the first night and then has a chance to review the next night's menu. They have been fantastic about recommendations, whether traditional or anytime.

My cruise partner is also severely allegic to garlic, and has had no issues on any of our cruises - she checks with the head waiter the first night and then has a chance to review the next night's menu. They have been fantastic about recommendations, whether traditional or anytime.

Thank you, I feel better!

DW has very unusual allergies and for first night order plain food but the asst MD will come over every night to plan the next nights dinner and lunch in DR if we wish.