North or South Island of New Zealand

We are flying to Auckland after a Tahiti cruise in Late October. We are dividing our time between Australia for two weeks then New Zealand for 10 days. We know it is not long enough but can only be away for this amount of time. We live near the Canadian Rockies and have cruised the Norwegian fjords and Alaska twice. Should we focus on the North island?

As a local my choice is for 10 days pick one island only. The South Island is more scenic and to get a taste of everything one really needs two weeks and for a similar taste in the North island a minimum of seven days. Whatever choice you pick is a winner and come again to do the other island.

We would like to thank Beanb41 for all his help in getting us ready for an amazing Australia and New Zealand cruise on the Celebrity Solstice earlier this year!

On our 14 night cruise (and a few extra days) we got only a little taste of what New Zealand has to offer. My personal advice, IMHO, would be to spend your 14 days on the South island and the next 10 days on the North Island.

Save Australia for another trip!

Hi,taking into consideration where you live and having been to the Rockies and Alaska if I were you I would stay in the north island.

The South is beautiful but we thought it was a mini Rockies in places.

Cheers Carole

If you had asked that question a couple of years ago just after we came home from the South island I would have said go south, it was very beautiful and we had a fantastic time. We have now been on the North island for 10 days and thought it was just as fantastic.

Sorry I can't pick the best!! I don't think you can go wrong with anywhere in New Zealand, we loved it all. Can't wait to go again.

Cheers

Hi,taking into consideration where you live and having been to the Rockies and Alaska if I were you I would stay in the north island.

The South is beautiful but we thought it was a mini Rockies in places.

Cheers Carole

100% agree!

The north offers the Maori Cultural experiences and the geothermal wonders...there is nothing like bubbling mud and geysers! The south is gorgeous and my favourite but that’s because of the mountains and fiords which you are very familiar with.

Since you fly into Auckland and only have ten days, I’d stay North. We spent 2 weeks on the South Island a few years ago and it is stunning, but 10 days would not do it justice. Pick up a car and head for The Bay of Islands and the area around Taupo/Rotorua. If you’re hikers, tackle the Tongariro National Park.

Attempting both islands would be too rushed [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've done north & south islands by car. Considering where you live you would be familiar with a similar topography of much the south island. Go for the north island and come back some day with more time for the south.

Whichever way you choose, rent one of these;

http://www.krusenz.com/

It will be the best $10 a day add-on you've ever spent to have your own virtual tour guide in the car with you. We speak from experience.

100% agree!

The north offers the Maori Cultural experiences and the geothermal wonders...there is nothing like bubbling mud and geysers! The south is gorgeous and my favourite but that’s because of the mountains and fiords which you are very familiar with.

I agree with 3littlepigs. The south island was our favorite but you have similar things in your back yard, so to speak. Take in the Maori Cultural center, etc. We also enjoyed the glow worm caves.