Expelling U.S. Staff

stevenr597

IMO...you are being overly concerned. The US is not the only country that is involved in this political tit for tat and don't forget that St. Petersburg is hosting the World Cup in June/July which is HUGE!!! Russia does not want to screw that up!

I was on a Baltic cruise a few years ago when Russia had invaded the Ukraine (Crimea)...now that was serious s***!!!

All ships continued to visit St. Petersburg without incident.

And I was on a Black Sea cruise where they did change the itinerary. Princess yanked the stop in Ukraine and replaced with Romania& Bulgaria. Nice to WISH for no change, but changes do happen!

Most ports that cruise ships stop at have no US Embassy or Consulates and it does not seem to be a big red flag issue. Yes if you lose your passport it will not be harder to replace but the closing here will have no effect on most passengers. How many board members here have gone to a US Embassy or Consulate while on a port stop?

Most ports that cruise ships stop at have no US Embassy or Consulates and it does not seem to be a big red flag issue. Yes if you lose your passport it will not be harder to replace but the closing here will have no effect on most passengers. How many board members here have gone to a US Embassy or Consulate while on a port stop?

Russia decided to order a US Consulate closed, tit-for-tat, for the ordered closure

of the Russian Consulate in Seattle. There's nothing to be drawn from that except

that diplomatic wheels are turning.

What attracts my attention is the choice of St Petersburg's rather than the other two

(and much less busy) US Consulates in Russia: Yekaterinburg and Vladivostok.

Putin is not a nice man, and it appears he's setting up certain options. It doesn't

mean he will use them, but it's beginning to seem unwise to trust he won't.

Well, the closure of st.p consulate seems to be done in line with the popular vote on Twitter (of all places).

You have to remember that, in contrast to Russıan visas in the US, Russian citizens have to go in person and go through an interview at the nearest US consulate to get a US Visa. If you take a look at the map, the distance someone from the Russian Northwest would have to travel to Moscow, for instance (up to 800 miles) is just a fraction of what someone from, say, the Russian Far East would have to travel to Yekaterinburg (4,500 miles). So, from the standpoint of convenience to Russian applicants, closing st.pete office makes sense.

Well, the closure of st.p consulate seems to be done in line with the popular vote on Twitter (of all places).

You have to remember that, in contrast to Russıan visas in the US, Russian citizens have to go in person and go through an interview at the nearest US consulate to get a US Visa. If you take a look at the map, the distance someone from the Russian Northwest would have to travel to Moscow, for instance (up to 800 miles) is just a fraction of what someone from, say, the Russian Far East would have to travel to Yekaterinburg (4,500 miles). So, from the standpoint of convenience to Russian applicants, closing st.pete office makes sense.

All of which speaks to not closing Vladivostok, but ignores the optimal-to-tourism

closure of the US Consulate in Yekaterinburg. St Petersburg was chosen to enable

options, whether they are used or not.

In dealing with Russia, watch their feet, not their mouth.

Have you applied for a Russian Visa? I have..and the questions they ask have been the most intrusive of any visa app. I have ever filled out...Also in order to apply for a visa you have to have an invitation to visit the country.

Since cruise ship passengers do not need an official Russian visa unless they want to wander about on their own, they do not need to apply for the visa.

I do hope that wiser heads will prevail (on both sides). It seems that there is nothing to be gained from having a confrontation with Russia. I certainly do not wish to see us go back to the dark days of the Cold War, with air-raid alerts and drills.

Russian just announced today that they will be expelling U.S. diplomatic staff and closing down the United States Consulate in St. Petersburg. We are booked on Regal Princess in July to talk Baltic Sea cruise and there will be a two day stop in this city. Hope that this will not affect our port stop, in that many individuals say that this is the high point of the cruise.

Hope that they will honor your visa.

All of which ... ignores the optimal-to-tourism

closure of the US Consulate in Yekaterinburg.

I'm inclined to think that an estimated 8 million people inhabiting the Far Eastern Federal District will happily agree with your assessment.

However, about 60 million Russians living in the Volga, Ural, and Siberian Federal Districts (currently serviced by Yekaterinburg) will probably beg to differ :-)

Sorry Randall, but that's an inaccurate and irresponsible assurance. Putin can order his immigration officials to deny disembarkation to American citizens or deny any ship with American passengers clearance into the port. Those of us who are booked on cruises that are scheduled to dock in St. Petersberg this summer should be very concerned that we may not be allowed to get off of the ship or be rerouted to another port.

Oh C'mon! By this summer - it will be forgotten about. Trust me - all will be fine.

The US closed the Russian Consulate in Seattle and ordered their people out of the country. So Russia in retaliation closed the US consulate in St Petersburg because they knew it was somewhat important to US interests. That simply is the way it works in diplomatic circles. Russia will continue to honor all visas granted and will allow sanctioned tours of cruise ship pax just like it has because they want the money. The only problem will be if you lose your passport which I understand you have to carry with you in Russia, you will have to go to another city that has a US Consulate or the Embassy in Moscow.

Now if the POTUS decides to not honor Russian visas in the US, Russia will respond by not allowing US citizens with Russian visas to enter their country. With the mentality coming out of our government lately, anything is possible.

The US closed the Russian Consulate in Seattle and ordered their people out of the country. So Russia in retaliation closed the US consulate in St Petersburg because they knew it was somewhat important to US interests. That simply is the way it works in diplomatic circles. Russia will continue to honor all visas granted and will allow sanctioned tours of cruise ship pax just like it has because they want the money. The only problem will be if you lose your passport which I understand you have to carry with you in Russia, you will have to go to another city that has a US Consulate or the Embassy in Moscow.

Now if the POTUS decides to not honor Russian visas in the US, Russia will respond by not allowing US citizens with Russian visas to enter their country. With the mentality coming out of our government lately, anything is possible.

Re: carrying and losing your passport. Are pick pockets a big problem in Russia?

Yes, but not any worse than Portugal or Spain. You need to be keenly aware of your surroundings.

...all your surroundings, especially when you're presented with something interesting

to focus on, even something as simple a the door for your elevator opening.