Beijing - when time is limited - Temple of Heaven or Summer Palace?

Tampa Girl

For those of you who have visited both sites, if your time was limited to two hours, which would you choose? I realize that one can spend hours at the Summer Palace, but I don't think I could handle that amount of time, anyway. Thanks for any input.

For those of you who have visited both sites, if your time was limited to two hours, which would you choose? I realize that one can spend hours at the Summer Palace, but I don't think I could handle that amount of time, anyway. Thanks for any input.

I have been to both sites a few times and if I were to go to Beijing and had to choose only one site, it would be the Summer Palace...No question about it.

I also liked the summer palace better, but with traffic in Being as it is, I would chose the site that is closer to the other sites you are visiting. Since we had a guide and driver, I did not pay attention to the distances we were travelling.

I also liked the summer palace better, but with traffic in Being as it is, I would chose the site that is closer to the other sites you are visiting. Since we had a guide and driver, I did not pay attention to the distances we were travelling.

Ditto to this. We originally wanted to do Forbidden City & Summer Palace but our guide explained traffic to us, so we ended up staying more centrally and doing Forbidden City & Temple of Heaven (then a really private section of the Wall on the following morning - Huanghuacheng, followed by a drive to the airport - this was at the end of a business trip when a colleague and I had to fit all the tourism we wanted to do in a day and a half ;p)

• 4 months later...

Although I would say I prefer Summer Palace, if you literally only have 2 hours as you say, I don't think I'd choose it.

The thing there is relaxing, seeing multiple things. In a short time, I'm not sure what I'd focus on and not sure any single thing really stands out, and wouldn't want to rush through it.

Summer Palace or Temple of Heaven? Two or so hours?

Depends where you are when you start.

Temple of Heaven is sort of in-Beijing proper. Summer Palace is outside of Beijing.

So if you factor travel time to get there in your two-hour span, Temple of Heaven hands-down.

Summer Palace, to my mind, is a better site to visit, but Temple of Heaven is interesting and worthwhile place to see.