Help! Documents for a minor !

You have everything you need and as others have said do not offer extra paperwork unless they ask for it. I would have the authorization to take the child on the trip notarized and available if they ask about it. Also have the parents available by cell phone if any issues come up boarding.

But my guess is they will not look twice at the paperwork and just board you. Please don't stress here 99.999999% sure you will not have any issues... Have a great trip.

Ok so don’t even put the stepdad on ?

The mom signs her legal married name but birth cert has her maiden name ?

Stepdad has no legal authority over the child, so no. Take a copy of the legal paperwork showing she has full custody of the child. That eliminates any question of whether the birth father has authorized the child to travel. If that paperwork predates her current marriage (i.e. has a different last name than her current one) take a copy of the paperwork (marriage certificate?) showing her name change as a precaution to bridge the two names, although I doubt you'll need that.

Social security is not/never needed for check in child or adult...Government issued Birth Certificate and Student ID is all you need

If the child is under 16, he won't need a picture ID (i.e. school ID).

Don't volunteer anything, unless they ask, with so many extended families I doubt the check in agent will even ask.

We just got off FOTS and we took DS friend and the agent checking us in asked for our letter.

1st time on 3 trips with a friend and was asked for it.

We routinely took our 5 adopted kids w/ us on numerous vacations including cruises. All of us (even husband & I) have different last names. Kids are all different nationalities - without a doubt you would know that we are not their biological parents. Always took their passports, paperwork drawn up by lawyer with appropriate notary seals, medical cards, etc, that we were their legal guardians/parents. Got stopped numerous times (especially when youngest was having a meltdown over permission for a snack and screaming "you aren't my mommy"), had so much paperwork no one knew what they were looking at. I was even showing phone photos from our holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving, previous vacations) In all honestly the most important documents traveling with our kiddos were medical insurance cards (all dare devils) and their passports.

Stepdad has no legal authority over the child, so no. Take a copy of the legal paperwork showing she has full custody of the child. That eliminates any question of whether the birth father has authorized the child to travel. If that paperwork predates her current marriage (i.e. has a different last name than her current one) take a copy of the paperwork (marriage certificate?) showing her name change as a precaution to bridge the two names, although I doubt you'll need that.

If the child is under 16, he won't need a picture ID (i.e. school ID).

However, if flying internationally (or traveling on a cruise line that requires passports for all itineraries), the kid will need a passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am taking my son and his best friend on a cruise next week visIon of the seas ! We typed a letter stating I was taking him and I had medical permission and all that stuff we all 3 signed it and the notary put a seal on it ! My question is if the mother last name and child’s last name aren’t the same as I gonna have issues ! Bio father is incarcerated and mom has full

Custody of him and has remarried ?

Do yourself a piece of mind. Just call rccl then you have correct answer

I am taking my son and his best friend on a cruise next week visIon of the seas ! We typed a letter stating I was taking him and I had medical permission and all that stuff we all 3 signed it and the notary put a seal on it ! My question is if the mother last name and child’s last name aren’t the same as I gonna have issues ! Bio father is incarcerated and mom has full

I took my grandson on a cruise and they asked for the letter. They told me if I didn't have it, we may not have been able to get on ship. Maybe get copy of custody paper or her marriage license showing different name? I believe in over prepared!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well all I have is a notarized letter from mom , she does not have sons last name cause she has remarried ! He’s 12 old enough to answer questions I’ll also have his birth cert .. this is gonna have to be good enough and I hope it is .... bio dad has been in prison ever since this child was born .

However, if flying internationally (or traveling on a cruise line that requires passports for all itineraries), the kid will need a passport.

True, but that wasn't the question at hand. ;)

Well all I have is a notarized letter from mom , she does not have sons last name cause she has remarried ! He’s 12 old enough to answer questions I’ll also have his birth cert .. this is gonna have to be good enough and I hope it is .... bio dad has been in prison ever since this child was born .

Then I'm not sure what the point of your original post was. You stated what you have and asked if you'd have any problems. People explained the possibilities that might come up based on that, and how to prepare for them and now you say, you can't/won't get anything more than what you have and are hoping for the best. Why worry about potential problems if you can't/won't do anything more to prevent them?

Ok great! Well I was just concerned cause mom and step dad signed the letter they have the same last name but the child has a different last name ! But I’ll have his birth cert and social ! It’s my

Sons best friend

I really know nothing about this subject, but like others on cruise critic, that doesn't stop me from posting. :evilsmile: In my 12 or so years on this forum I've read some interesting things. My best neutral advice is have the parent's cell phone numbers handy and advise them to be ready to take a call on boarding morning. Be one of the first to check in at the port and that way you will have time for the unexpected. Should some port official or check in agent get a special burr in their saddle, you will have time to react or have some unforeseen document faxed or emailed to the port. It would be better to have 10 or so extra hours to do that rather than a few minutes. If you do that hopefully the worst thing that will happen is you are one of the first on the ship, or have to wait in the terminal an extra hour.

I worried my tail off for the same issue. Truth be told they didn't even look at the letters. Neither did CBP on the way back in. They looked at the kids and said something to the effect of "who is this person to you". Take the letters and the docs. Also if they are 17 or older they need a state issued ID card.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Things go a lot easier if the child has a passport. Take all of the documents but leave them in your bag unless asked. You should also try to have the mother of the child near a fax machine with any other documents that might be requested. Once you get on the ship, there shouldn't be any other issues.

Lcruz89 we have also taken our grandchildren a several cruises and out of country travels. Never had a problem with cruise documentation; however, have had to produce birth certificates and a notarized letter from their parents. I made a large mistake several years ago and put the wrong birthdate into the travel document information... needless to say, we spent several hours sorting this out at our arrival back into the states. Now we always have their birth certificates and notorized perantal forms when we take them on travel out of the USA... cruise or resort.

Lcruz89 we have also taken out grandchildren a several cruises and out of country travels. Never had a problem with cruise documentation; however, have had to produce birth certificates and a notarized letter from their parents. I made a large mistake several years ao and put the wrong birthdate into the travel pieces of information... needless to say we spent several hours sorting this out at our arrival back into the states. Now we always have their birth certificates and notorized perantal forms when we take them on travel out of the USA.

Thank y’all ! I think we are gonna be fine mother signed notarized consent with her maiden name which is on the sons birth certificate so I think when ate gonna be good ! I put her phone # on there as well ! I worry a lot over nothing icebox heard royal usually doesn’t even ask but in the case that they do I have 2 copies of the form !

Thank y’all ! I think we are gonna be fine mother signed notarized consent with her maiden name which is on the sons birth certificate so I think when ate gonna be good ! I put her phone # on there as well ! I worry a lot over nothing icebox heard royal usually doesn’t even ask but in the case that they do I have 2 copies of the form !

Fyi We were asked for notarized permission letter on Royal in Bayonne, last March. I was traveling with my grandson. They took letter, went to another desk, and copied it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I’m prepared either way I have my notorized statement from his mom and his birth certificate and ID! I think we are covered I don’t think they will reject us from boarding as long as I have his moms permission !

You may be fine getting on the ship, but over on the Carnival board there have been people delayed by the CBP at the end of the cruise. The CBP website tells you what you need to have when children are only traveling with one parent or with grandparents, friends, school groups etc. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3643/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTIyNzMxNjAzL3NpZC9ncU9sYmRKbg%3D%3D

If a child (under the age of 18) is traveling with only one parent or someone who is not a parent or legal guardian, what paperwork should the adult have to indicate permission or legal authority to have that child in their care?

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) strongly recommends that unless the child is accompanied by both parents, the adult have a note from the child's other parent (or, in the case of a child traveling with grandparents, uncles or aunts, sisters or brothers, friends, or in groups*, a note signed by both parents) stating "I acknowledge that my wife/husband/etc. is traveling out of the country with my son/daughter/group. He/She/They has/have my permission." See our Q&A parental consent.

They then go on to say the following: While CBP may not ask to see this documentation, if we do ask, and you do not have it, you may be detained until the circumstances of the child traveling without both parents can be fully assessed. If there is no second parent with legal claims to the child (deceased, sole custody, etc.) any other relevant paperwork, such as a court decision, birth certificate naming only one parent, death certificate, etc., would be useful.

You may be fine getting on the ship, but over on the Carnival board there have been people delayed by the CBP at the end of the cruise. The CBP website tells you what you need to have when children are only traveling with one parent or with grandparents, friends, school groups etc. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3643/related/1/session/L2F2LzEv

dGltZS8xNTIyNzMxNjAzL3NpZC9ncU9sYmRKbg%3D%3D

If a child (under the age of 18) is traveling with only one parent or someone who is not a parent or legal guardian, what paperwork should the adult have to indicate permission or legal authority to have that child in their care?

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) strongly recommends that unless the child is accompanied by both parents, the adult have a note from the child's other parent (or, in the case of a child traveling with grandparents, uncles or aunts, sisters or brothers, friends, or in groups*, a note signed by both parents) stating "I acknowledge that my wife/husband/etc. is traveling out of the country with my son/daughter/group. He/She/They has/have my permission." See our Q&A parental consent.

They then go on to say the following: While CBP may not ask to see this documentation, if we do ask, and you do not have it, you may be detained until the circumstances of the child traveling without both parents can be fully assessed. If there is no second parent with legal claims to the child (deceased, sole custody, etc.) any other relevant paperwork, such as a court decision, birth certificate naming only one parent, death certificate, etc., would be useful.

Thank you for this , dad is in prison has been most of this child’s life idk how this can be proven maybe I can go online and print out the proof on web ! I don’t see us having issues but just to make sure .

Believe it or not, even dads in prison have parental rights regarding their children unless a court has officially limited those rights. If mom has sole physical/legal custody pursuant to a court order, take a copy of that order, just in case. If mom does not, then be aware that not having bio. dad's permission to remove his child from the country may be an issue.

All of this is in place for a good reason - to avoid international child abduction, but it's certainly a frustrating technicality when you are going on a very short cruise which begins and ends in the USA and it sounds like dad has never exercised any parental rights in real life.

Believe it or not, even dads in prison have parental rights regarding their children unless a court has officially limited those rights. If mom has sole physical/legal custody pursuant to a court order, take a copy of that order, just in case. If mom does not, then be aware that not having bio. dad's permission to remove his child from the country may be an issue.

All of this is in place for a good reason - to avoid international child abduction, but it's certainly a frustrating technicality when you are going on a very short cruise which begins and ends in the USA and it sounds like dad has never exercised any parental rights in real life.

But see there’s is no custody papers she snever had to pursue it he’s never had anything to do with his son ! So what happens in this case the kid just doesn’t get to go ? If there going I deny us there is no point in going ! Some people say the they don’t even ask to see it and we will be fine some say they may ! I paid all this money and for excursions just to be denied

But see there’s is no custody papers she snever had to pursue it he’s never had anything to do with his son ! So what happens in this case the kid just doesn’t get to go ? If there going I deny us there is no point in going ! Some people say the they don’t even ask to see it and we will be fine some say they may ! I paid all this money and for excursions just to be denied

Consider adopting a "what will be will be" attitude. You have done what you can, be satisfied with that and move on. If you approach the counter like, "I am ready to get on this cruise and have a great time" you are much less likely to encounter problems than if you approach in a meek and mild manner.

So when is the cruise? What do you have planned? Try to focus on the positives.

We boarded Oasis on April 1st with my daughter and her friend. We had all the necessary notarized documents and they didn’t even blink an eye over the fact that her last name is different than ours. Never asked for any of it. Bring it all just in case, but we never had to produce anything.

Sent from my iPad using Forums