Suite Question - TWO YEARS OUT - 3/6/2020 Silhouette (A, B, C Islands)

Tom-n-Cheryl

I booked this sailing a few weeks ago and was quite surprised that I got the LAST SUITE. I was looking for a corner/hump CS cabin, but all they had was one RS left (admittedly more perks, larger room - but at the cost of a smaller balcony).

This just seems unusual, especially this far out. Any speculations?

Thanks,

Tom

If I got the deal I wouldn't speculate why I got it, I would just take it. Any responses you may receive will be just that, speculation.:)

I didn't get any kind of deal. The RS (and above) comes with additional perks on all ships/sailings. I'd prefer the CS for its balcony.

Speculation is welcome ! :)

My speculation is that either some large corporation or wealthy individual with plenty of lucky friends has snapped up all the other suites, or there's one or more TA's holding a lot of them... dunno!

Tom

Since you are asking for speculation. Ever since Celebrity improved the suite benefits, the suites are in high demand. On the cruises that I book, I never see any price reductions. The suites are either sold out early (especially the S1s and above) or there are a few suites available at outrageous prices. The supply and demand prices are so high, that I question whether anyone ever pays those prices.

OP, I think you will find the extra benefits and great RS cabin more than makes up for a smaller balcony. The balcony is plenty big for two people IMO, but I wish they would just remove the tub on the balcony. I think it makes the balcony seem even smaller. In the interest of full disclosure, my DW and I have never cruised in a CS because the bedroom does not have a view of the outside.

We prefer the corner Sky Suites over the CS.

My wife and I vary between a SS1 or RS depending on the price difference and whether the cruise is a repositioning cruise. The extra benefits of the RS and above suites are even more valuable without the Best bundle on the regular suites.

You will need to let us know what you think after the cruise.

We used to book 90 days out except for Xmas or spring break, when, with 4 travelers, we would think 4-5 months out. Then, a couple of years ago, we could no longer get suites.....all booked! Have encountered same thing, no deals really and booking up 12-18 months out, and still not getting first choices! Princess another line whose suites we find all booked up for Europe. Same thing on river cruises , all booked up , so we are losing loyalty perks because we switch lines for availability. We have found availability on other lines, but still prefer Celebrity ocean cruises. Personally, kind of a pain to adjust to Long range travel planning. However, we just returned from abc islands, plus Cartagena. Had not been to Bonaire or Cartagena, Colombia, before and enjoyed this itinerary this February. A plus was no hurricane effects on these islands, and overnight in Aruba.....but 2nd day was Sunday and stores were closed. So you have chosen well imo!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's not really that uncommon for all the suites to be "sold out". People book multiple trips and suites because for at least the U.S. there is no penalty if cancelled prior to final payment. As the cruise date get closer there will be a swarm of cancellations and could be a good time to switch to a preferred suite or class of suites.

I use the "fishy" site that monitors cabins and get alerts when a class of cabin comes back on the market.

I use the "fishy" site that monitors cabins and get alerts when a class of cabin comes back on the market.

Just an fyi - that site hasn't been working for some time now. I had two cruises I was watching, never got updates on either despite several price drops and decided to investigate. Apparently the price drop alert hasn't been working for 6-8 months now - you can go on the website itself, but it's not actively tracking any price drops. Several people have tried emailing the moderator with no response. It's a bummer...really liked the site and have several open credits left:(

It's not really that uncommon for all the suites to be "sold out". People book multiple trips and suites because for at least the U.S. there is no penalty if cancelled prior to final payment. As the cruise date get closer there will be a swarm of cancellations and could be a good time to switch to a preferred suite or class of suites.

Perhaps, for one reason or another, that specific sailing was more popular. I've glanced around at several others (most not that far out), and found plenty of availability.

(EDIT -- just checked the same ship/itinerary for the prior two sailings and all suite categories are available. Having said that, the next one after the one we have booked, has none available)

I'm not sure how long it's been going on - but when did Celebrity start having different prices for refundable deposits and those which are not? I was aware that Royal Caribbean has been doing that for awhile, at least with suites.

So now people must balance the cost of saving $200-300+/cabin with getting their deposit back if something comes up, or if they're speculating. I often have 2-3 other cruises booked "just in case". I'll now be less apt to have spares on hand if it's going to come at a cost - and I'm sure the cruise lines realized that as well. They'll have a better handle on actual inventory and, for those cabins that do cancel, at least they'll have a little padding for the bottom line.

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

I was looking for a corner/hump CS cabin, but all they had was one RS left (admittedly more perks, larger room - but at the cost of a smaller balcony).

In your continuing search, please be aware that there are no corner Celebrity Suites on any ship. On Solstice-Class (ie; Silhouette), the aft corners are all categorized as Sky Suite 1...

In your continuing search, please be aware that there are no corner Celebrity Suites on any ship. On Solstice-Class (ie; Silhouette), the aft corners are all categorized as Sky Suite 1...

Thanks.

Yes, I was referring to those CS cabins which are at the angle/corner of the hump, not the back corner of the ship. I was not clear on that.

Tom

I booked this sailing a few weeks ago and was quite surprised that I got the LAST SUITE. I was looking for a corner/hump CS cabin, but all they had was one RS left (admittedly more perks, larger room - but at the cost of a smaller balcony).

This just seems unusual, especially this far out. Any speculations?

Thanks,

Tom

No surprise to me. I continue to watch the cruises we book (usually 2+ years out) and suites always sell out first, usually from the top down.

One has to only look at the prices Celebrity is charging for some of their new Edge suites to know that it's a sellers market.

Regarding the non-refundable deposits I'm not seeing on Celebrity - what's the history with that... something new? It's been a couple years since we last sailed with them, and it certainly was not the case then.

Tom

One has to only look at the prices Celebrity is charging for some of their new Edge suites to know that it's a sellers market.

Regarding the non-refundable deposits I'm not seeing on Celebrity - what's the history with that... something new? It's been a couple years since we last sailed with them, and it certainly was not the case then.

Tom

(Unnecessary typo correction to follow!) : Should have been "now seeing" instead of "not" above. :D

Non refundable deposits started in November or December of last year for new releases.

Thanks