wine corkage question

AZJerry

I understand bringing 1 bottle pp with no corkage and that it's for drinking in the cabin. Has anyone tried opening said bottles in the cabin and then taking the opened bottle along to one of the dining rooms. Would you still be expected to pay corkage?

I understand bringing 1 bottle pp with no corkage and that it's for drinking in the cabin. Has anyone tried opening said bottles in the cabin and then taking the opened bottle along to one of the dining rooms. Would you still be expected to pay corkage?

You’ll pay the $15 if you take the bottle.

Not if you take a glass.

And just to add a bit of confusion the waiters may or may not charge you to open a bottle in the dining room. Officially they should but in our experience they are reluctant to do so. Have also signed the form and had the waiter not turn it in.

And just to add a bit of confusion the waiters may or may not charge you to open a bottle in the dining room. Officially they should but in our experience they are reluctant to do so. Have also signed the form and had the waiter not turn it in.

We always ask and they always say they are required to charge for corkage.

I'd need more than one glass of wine with my meal. :evilsmile::evilsmile:

We usually take a glass from our cabin. Then, we buy a bottle in the dining room, have a glass and save the rest for the next night.

Corkage fee is not about the opening of the bottle or the crew serving it. It's about collecting a fee for giving you the opportunity to pay less for alcohol. Just like in a restaurant.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Forums mobile app

You are correct and a poster above was wondering about a partially opened bottle. Technically, yes, a passenger ought to be charged corkage fee on a new bottle. But how does any random waiter know when/where a bottle was first opened and if a corkage fee was charged? Yes, your regular TD waiter may recognize a new label albeit with a partially consumed bottle.

Once the opened bottle has been partially consumed, passenger can bring the remaining wine to dinner the next night (any venue by the way) and no further fee is charged.

If a passenger brings a half-consumed bottle of wine to a dining venue, the presumption is that it was previously used and is either a ship wine or passenger's wine. Most wait staff are not going to know or be aware if passenger was elsewhere earlier in the day, or the night before, when wine was opened. An alert waiter at your regular dinner table may notice you being in a new bottle of wine (by the label) and realize he/she has never seen it before and therefore might ask about corkage.

Stickers are issued for bottles charged for at boarding - not every time an unstickered bottle is opened. In short, passengers may well not be charged for a bottle they drank from in the room and now bring a 1/2 empty bottle to dinner. I will just say that I never have been charged, nor quizzed in such a situation.

I was recently assessed the correct corkage fee in check-in area and was perfectly fine with that and expected to be charged the amount.

So much variation. Last cruise on Royal we were first to board and table was not yet up so all bottles boarded without fee. At dinner first waiter filled out form and we paid corkage, next 2 nights had a waiter who did not do so and wines went corkage free. Finally at the Crown we were charged corkage again. Have had similar experience in the past.

Grab a couple of water glasses from the Horizon buffet & use them as wine glasses.

They're on the large size & might be sufficient for dinner without a refill.

Just ask your cabin steward and he will provide wine glasses everyday in the cabin.

Just ask your cabin steward and he will provide wine glasses everyday in the cabin.

Yes they will but the only problem we're found is that they're very small.

The water glasses in both the Horizon & DR are much larger, (maybe 2X as large?) and provide sufficient size serving for a meal.

"In" the cabin means "in" the cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes they will but the only problem we're found is that they're very small.

The water glasses in both the Horizon & DR are much larger, (maybe 2X as large?) and provide sufficient size serving for a meal.

Lately steward tries to get out of supplying wineglasses each day by getting them from room service daily. Find that rather impractical and just liberate about 4 glasses every other day and return them in evening to DR.

Lately steward tries to get out of supplying wineglasses each day by getting them from room service daily. Find that rather impractical and just liberate about 4 glasses every other day and return them in evening to DR.

I know what you mean.

I'm thinking they don't have easy access to the & it requires a special trip to pick them up. :confused:

We solved the problem by bringing back a 1/2 dozen at a time from the Horizon to have them ready to go whenever.

Make sure to tip your waiter at the end if he helped you like this.