Restaurateur's take on the new deli

coevan

I repeat!

Is this an episode of MST 3000?

Poor Joel or Mike or whatever his name is.... He never gets to eat...it's a TV show after all.....:confused::confused:

It's a cruise, food is always available

You're complaining about a sandwich that you got "twice"?!? At no extra charge.

And your wife didn't like the ham & cheese that she could not get them to leave the mayo off of. I would think if she couldn't get them to customize, then it would be a good idea to pick another sandwich....just saying.

However condiments should be up to each person. They are able to do it very well at Guy's burgers.

I in no way see how this menu change can be construed as a cutback. There appears to be more choices than before and the deli is still available at no additional cost.

I agree. The only thing Carnival should do differently is serve the condiments on the side. I'll be on the Horizon out of NYC this Summer. We NY'ers like everything on the side..lol

People are seriously going to argue over what is or isn't "allowed" on a cuban sandwich? And they thought debating over birth certificates was a joke. :rolleyes: Plenty of foods out there are changed based on the region in which they're made. It doesn't make it wrong.

Some people are all too happy in their bubble.

maybe the addition of salami makes it not a true cuban, but i'd take a pressed one with salami over their one from the toaster oven.

I really think the suits at carnival think "oh, premade? that sounds faster, let's do that!!!...good work johnson, how about a raise?" but as usual the people with the clean suits and polished shoes are a step or two from reality. That's why they do what they do. It probably makes them good at what they do, but with it comes a bit of disconnect.

I imagine the meeting with the sous chef and a couple execs:

e: so what do we think about speeding things up at the deli, could we maybe just premake them and they get what they get?

c: we could, but people might not like them, and it would probably actually slow things down because people might order something a certain way....

e: so you're saying there's a chance?

c: *stutters and shrugs* maybe??

e: good enough then , calls bean counter beep beep boop "yes, hello, johnson? yes, we're going premade!! this is going to change everything!!! what, the bar later? yes, of course, you're paying right? ok...later shooter!"

Many people, myself included, won't order, much less eat, a pre-made sandwich.

Custom at the deli declines.

Eventually Carnival closes another included food venue because of lack of customer interest. Might replace it with a for-fee option. Might not. Who knows?

Many people, myself included, won't order, much less eat, a pre-made sandwich.

Custom at the deli declines.

Eventually Carnival closes another included food venue because of lack of customer interest. Might replace it with a for-fee option. Might not. Who knows?

I haven’t noticed a lack of interest. Don’t eat it if you don’t like it...but plenty of people are eating it.

maybe the addition of salami makes it not a true cuban, but i'd take a pressed one with salami over their one from the toaster oven.

I really think the suits at carnival think "oh, premade? that sounds faster, let's do that!!!...good work johnson, how about a raise?" but as usual the people with the clean suits and polished shoes are a step or two from reality. That's why they do what they do. It probably makes them good at what they do, but with it comes a bit of disconnect.

I imagine the meeting with the sous chef and a couple execs:

e: so what do we think about speeding things up at the deli, could we maybe just premake them and they get what they get?

c: we could, but people might not like them, and it would probably actually slow things down because people might order something a certain way....

e: so you're saying there's a chance?

c: *stutters and shrugs* maybe??

e: good enough then , calls bean counter beep beep boop "yes, hello, johnson? yes, we're going premade!! this is going to change everything!!! what, the bar later? yes, of course, you're paying right? ok...later shooter!"

You might have nailed it

Sounds like the original Cuban had salami on it:

The sandwich is made with ham, roasted pork, Swiss cheese, pickles, mustard, and salami[3] on Cuban bread.[2] The later variation of the sandwich that emerged in Miami excludes salami.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_sandwich

Not saying this is wrong however never take Wikipedia as a reliable source.

I watched a show about the Cuban in Tampa and I was shocked it has salami on as I’d never eaten it that way. I prefer Miami style, salami does not belong on a Cuban lol.

I never ate at the deli often however I will try their version of the Cuban, that is sadly not pressed. At least I’m aware so it won’t be a shock [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't know if they've made the switch on Sunshine yet but if they have by October, I sure am going to miss my pressed Turkey Sandwich on a Country Roll. That was my go to evening dinner if nothing on the buffet looked good. Bummer.... :(

Elation still has a deli with custom made sandwiches and presses. One of the best food options on the whole ship. The reason why custom is better is simple: I don’t agree with many of you that say that a sandwich HAS TO BE MADE the way you think it should. You like mustard, I can’t stand it. You hate mayo, I love it. You want peppers on it, I don’t. Et cetera. The crew on Elation making sandwiches were quick enough to keep people happy, and actually seemed to enjoy their jobs, much more than those who were simply handing out pre-made items, including the (delicious) burgers at Guy Fiero’s.

Guess I won't be having my panini pressed Turkey Reuben with Russian/Thousand Island dressing on the Horizon in August. No big deal, it'll be substituted with a burrito from BlueIguana with an extra helping of habanero sauce.

The caprese sandwich I had was very good. However, my dd had the tuna salad, and we didn't realize they "pressed" that sandwich until he handed it to us. Hot tuna salad - yich!!

I love a good hot pressed tuna salad sandwich. :) Growing up, my grandmother had a waffle iron with plates that you could remove and flip around so you could make hot pressed sandwiches and I used to eat my tuna sandwiches like that ALL THE TIME. And haven't you ever heard of a tuna melt? It's essentially the same thing, but with a slice of American cheese (I usually use Kraft, because most other "American" cheeses taste kinda gross and plasticky to me).

You might have nailed it

They nailed it exactly.

I work in a school kitchen and our higher ups do this kind of thing ALL THE TIME. They come up with stuff that sounds like really super ideas when you're sitting behind a desk in an office but turn out to be really impractical or hard to implement in an actual kitchen.

Elation still has a deli with custom made sandwiches and presses. One of the best food options on the whole ship. The reason why custom is better is simple: I don’t agree with many of you that say that a sandwich HAS TO BE MADE the way you think it should. You like mustard, I can’t stand it. You hate mayo, I love it. You want peppers on it, I don’t. Et cetera. The crew on Elation making sandwiches were quick enough to keep people happy, and actually seemed to enjoy their jobs, much more than those who were simply handing out pre-made items, including the (delicious) burgers at Guy Fiero’s.

Sailing on the Elation next month... do they have the new menu or old menu still?

Sailing on the Elation next month... do they have the new menu or old menu still?

When we sailed in Nov., they had the old one, which is fine with us.

We leave Saturday on the Elation, so I will let everyone know if the new menu is being used.:)

When we sailed in Nov., they had the old one, which is fine with us.

We leave Saturday on the Elation, so I will let everyone know if the new menu is being used.:)

It's gone into dry dock since then so they may have have changed it up. The reviews of the upgrades seem to be great and the pictures look incredible. 32 days for us and I cannot wait!

It's gone into dry dock since then so they may have have changed it up. The reviews of the upgrades seem to be great and the pictures look incredible. 32 days for us and I cannot wait!

Actually, the dry dock was in OCT. 2017. We sailed 3 weeks after the drydock. No change in the Deli. Yes, many other changes, but not the deli in Nov. '17.

Once upon a time we could get sandwiches freshly made to order and we could pick the condiments. Now we can get them anyway we want as long as it is their way.

If not a cutback sure aint an improvement in my book

I totally agree. My DH likes, and has previously ordered frequently at the Carnival deli, a pastrami and swiss on rye with mayo. Not a difficult order. The deli has all the ingredients - seems he should be able to get the sandwich "his way". If not, then no matter what "upgrades" they've made to the menu, it's a cutback/removal of an excellent venue for us.

It's nice that those who are more adventuresome can get designer sandwiches that they enjoy .... but that shouldn't take away the option of simpler fare for folks that desire a more basic selection.