Project Runway?

BlueHerons

The judges are briefed before the runway show, if not about the designs, at least about the behind-the-scenes drama. And note this disclaimer that runs at the end of the show (really small and fast): ''The judges considered both their scores and input from the producers and Bravo in reaching their elimination decisions.'' In other words, garbage-bag lady makes for better TV than shower-curtain guy, so she stayed and he went. Bravo's other so-called reality shows, Top Chef and Step It Up and Dance, are run the same way.

Well this is partially correct.;)

The judges are not briefed about the details of backstage drama.

Half the time they are not even aware of the details of certain garments.

What the deal is though, they already have some ideas (especially the producers) of who the definite front-runners are going to be.

It's not set in stone, and things change, but there are at least ideas.

I truly don't think they expected Christian to win last season. I think that they expected Rami or Jillian. And Rami kind of fell in the context of the competition by stubbornly sticking to his drapery.

And Christian by sheer belief in himself and talent, didn't fall apart.

I also don't think that they expected Chris to get as far as he did.

Then there are definite ideas and suggestions from producers on who makes interesting TV or great drama.

This season the producers seem adamant about creating "villains".

So possibly they are already setting up Blayne or Stella as the villains?

I expect that there are front-runners already in the top three we saw.

I'm guessing more likely Kelli and Daniel.

I'm also expecting that they are going to "hide" a few front-runners/talents in the mid pack for a while, as long as there is a large enough number of contestants to keep them "lost" in the middle, but still safe from elimination.

Kenley, Terri, Wesley? I'm just educated guessing at this point. But watch for someone who is always "solid", but they keep sticking mid pack.

They'll make a surge to the front later on.

I also think that they have the strongest group of female designers this year. So maybe it's a woman's turn to win again?

Final thoughts...

In any creative competition show (even when the public votes, like American Idol or Dancing with the Stars) interesting disasters always get more votes and attention than more competent yet boring.

You just remember it more.

And yes, going back to KC-fn's point - which I know for a fact to be true...

A lot of times on these bottom groups, the judges are torn, or it really doesn't matter who leaves. So the producers will strongly hint we'd rather you keep "so and so".

They won't win, and whoever left they have not proven themselves enough to win so it doesn't really change the finals or the final outcome.

But what it does is give a more interesting show. And a more interesting discussion (like we have here) the next week.

As far as a show context, the diaper thing craziness and the garbage dress monstrosity were at least far more interesting to look at and discuss than two more similar tablecloth dresses.

Even though, you can see in the picture here that the shower curtain raincoat is constructed far better.

You know we are always bored with the episodes where everyone is competent in their designs, but no one takes any chances or does anything out of the ordinary.

Anyway, that's my take for this week. I think it's really going to be a pretty good season though, based on the contestants and the challenges.

Third for Korto.

1a7ecfc4894ff406e293a5da8ab5d388.jpg

rate_runway_11_501.jpg

I don't think she deserved it. Others were better and more innovative.

Maybe because it was a different silhouette than the others?

It was still a tablecloth, and glued on veggies.

I mean, isn't that essentially a bad day at a picnic?

(My Halloween costume is a lady who tripped over the picnic lunch).

I SOOOOO agree! She did what others got blasted for, and that is just use material as a dress.

This effort is definitely mid range and she should have not gotten into the top 3 with this boring dress.

Joe's Oven mitt and pasta dress, or Kenley's beach ball bustier were so much more creative.

I'm really annoyed they auf'ed Jerry because they clearly kept Stella and Blayne because they'll make for controversial TV.

And yes, to your point that some of the mid range things weren't even shown to the viewers til they hit the runway, tells us how the producers are playing hard at making puppets out of the audience. I saw it coming as I watched the runway and thought "gee, i never even had a glimpse of that before now".

Of course I know there's a ton of editing that's done but I felt really manipulated after watching this episode. I don't like it and says to me that the show is going to take a big downturn. They don't need to play these games with the viewers to keep things interesting. What a shame they think so little of us.

Of course I know there's a ton of editing that's done but I felt really manipulated after watching this episode. I don't like it and says to me that the show is going to take a big downturn. They don't need to play these games with the viewers to keep things interesting. What a shame they think so little of us.

Agreed, although this is nothing new for Project Runway. How else did Wendy make it to the Season 1 finale, or Santino in Season 2? In both cases, they provided a story-line and controversy, which Bravo obviously believes produces better ratings.

Compare Bravo's talent/elimination shows with So You Think You Can Dance. SYTYCD focuses almost exclusively on dance. There is very little profiling, and zero living-situation-friction. We do see rehearsals, but it's about rehearsing, not about interpersonal drama. At least in the early rounds, the judging really is based on what the dancers produce onstage, rather than producers' decisions. I don't like that the later rounds are decided by the TV audience, which tends to reward personality, tricks, and sex appeal. But for the most part, SYTYCD doesn't allow mediocre talent to get to the final rounds.

There is just NO 'splainin' this, is there? Looks like some fou-fou dog jumped up on her just as the picture was being taken.

That's tooo funny!

You're so right. That's EXACTLY what it looks like! :D

CJW, thanks for your interesting insights.

One thing I remember on the show when Korto was making her dress, and Tim Gunn came around with critique for each designer: Tim advised Korto to do something spectacular and attention-grabbing with the produce she had purchased...she took his advice, obviously, and I think that is what got her in the top 3...based on what CJW said about the judges being briefed on the behind-the-scenes factors, it is quite possible that her acceptance of Tim's advice was conveyed to the judges and gave her an edge

There is just NO 'splainin' this, is there? Looks like some fou-fou dog jumped up on her just as the picture was being taken.

I just looked at the picture and again and you're right it does look like that.A white poodle with a green collar and a pink bow in its hair!

Laura

Honestly, I wouldn't have a clue as to which bags were thick and which were thin. I've never bought garbage bags.

I'm not a designer, but in my head as I was watching I thought of two different ways she could have used the thin ones. That she couldn't, and she's supposedly a designer, says that she's a very narrow thinker.

It'll be interesting to see if she redeems herself next week.

Hi Jane:) I know you live in the city but what do you

do with your garbage then?

Garbage bags come in all sizes and textures. Glad, Hefty, and

"Store brands"....8 gallon, 12 gallon, 30 gallon leaf bags too.

Tall Kitchen size and smaller size too....some are quite thick

while others much thinner. Some have twist handles while others

have handles attached to the plastic.

As you have always given help for clothing and accessories,

that is your lesson for trash bags today;):D

I think the explanation of Blayne is: He is trying to be the new Christian. He thinks haute couture means "weird." And like Christian, he's trying to get himself associated with a certain word, "girlicious." One thing is certain: He's not FIERCE.

I think the explanation of Blayne is: He is trying to be the new Christian. He thinks haute couture means "weird." And like Christian, he's trying to get himself associated with a certain word, "girlicious." One thing is certain: He's not FIERCE.

Every time Blayne said "girlicious" I kept thinking about the Pussy Cat Dolls and the fact that they would say what he made was NOT Girlicious.

Every time Blayne said "girlicious" I kept thinking about the Pussy Cat Dolls and the fact that they would say what he made was NOT Girlicious.

I'm willing to wait to see if he can "put his money where his mouth is". As much as Christian got on my nerves, he WAS able to match his ego with what he produced.

Girlicious????

WOOF,WOOF, no wait, it's a little dog, YIP, YIP.:D

Hey KC,

When are we going shopping?;)

Pardon me if I seem obtuse, but where on Earth do you throw your garbage?

When I buy groceries, they're put in plastic bags with handles to carry home. So I recycle them by using them to line my kitchen trash bin.

Everynight, I just tie it shut tight and pop it down the tube in the trash refuse room.

Easy peasy. :)

OK, the bottom of "doggie" outfit is horrendous, but what exactly is going on with the top of his creation????? I'll fitted, shapeless, it looks like something I could have made for my Barbie doll when I was 8 years old.

Wait a minute......I could have done better than that :rolleyes:

I think the judges got the winner right this time. Other than the coffee filter top, I think the dress could be worn by a lot of young women. Watching her work was interesting, she was really thinking things through.

I'm always puzzled by the contestants standing around talking about being stressed with little time left. If they just focused and worked, they wouldn't notice the time. Maybe I should call them :)

While I cannot understand why the bottom guy went first, his garment was atrocious, garbage bag lady had no personality whatsoever. Why the producers didn't send her packing is a mystery. She'd better get her game together or she'll be aufed very soon.

OK, the bottom of "doggie" outfit is horrendous, but what exactly is going on with the top of his creation????? I'll fitted, shapeless,....

I've been wondering about that as well.

While I cannot understand why the bottom guy went first, his garment was atrocious, garbage bag lady had no personality whatsoever. Why the producers didn't send her packing is a mystery. She'd better get her game together or she'll be aufed very soon.

Garbage bag lady should have gone first. I didn't get Jerry's outfit but it still looked like there was something in his future. The garbage bags gave no indication whatsoever of anything in hers.

I don't think Korto should have been in the top 3. It was a tablecloth and if I didn't know they were veggies I would have thought it was some just killed iguana slung around her neck with visible wounds.

So, what did ya'll think? Actually, I thought they got it right

this evening;) and it was definitely a new type of challenge.

I didn't realize how petite Natalie Portman is...and she is

very cute!

Oh, Stella did seem to step up this week too. From trash bag

to silk...LOL

Kudos to Suede. He's sort of like a more 3-dimensional version of "Kayne of many colors" from 2 seasons ago. You could tell Natalie really liked his dress. I also liked Kenly's (sp?) dress; it was sophisticated. Looked simple but undoubtedly wasn't. Both were well done.

Definitely agreed with the guy who was auf'd.

again this week I think the judges did a good job...I agreed with their top three and bottom three...I could have gone with either of the top two as the winner...and I definitely agree with the loser choice

I am looking forward to next week...been a good season so far with some interesting challenges

I thought the judges got it right this week too. Suede's dress deserved to win and, boy, did he ever pull it together at the last minute. Tim's doing his "two hours to midnight" stroll through the workroom and Suede's dress still looked like a pillow with its stuffings pulled out. It really looked great when finished.

I have a question: Tim tells them at the beginning "You have until midnight to finish the dress." Then it's 12 minutes to midnight and really none of them are finished and some of them are realllyyy not finished. So then they come back in the next morning and they have more time . . . how did they get more time? Isn't the morning supposed to be adjustments to the models and tying up the loose ends, so to speak?

I have to say that Wesley's whining over the fabric his model picked was annoying. Hey, buddy, that was the point of this challenge: everyone had to make do with what they got. You should have told your model to look for something in particular if you had a problem with certain fabrics. Same thing with Stella and her "lea-thuh", although she made me laugh out loud with her banter with Wesley at the end of the night. That was a really funny exchange and it made me think about if that had been Jeffrey from two years ago or even Laura, that scene would have turned ugly. But they were good-natured about teasing each other, and it was cute.

Kellie