Project Runway?

BlueHerons

And I can't believe I'm saying this folks, but Blayne is closer to the top for me in the context of the challenge.:eek:

rate_runway_blayne_504.jpg

He listened to Tim and changed his idea. It's a bit retro, yet modern, and would work well on athletic bodies.

Is it perfect? No - far from it. But it looks like a modern athlete would wear it.

To me this is a similar idea to what Korto did, just not anywhere near as successful or sophisticated as Korto's.

But why do I have to put him up so high here? He actually listened to the challenge. As you will see, we are now going to get a whole bunch of people who did not listen to the challenge, and just did modern versions of the historical pictures they saw at the exhibit.

That was not the challenge people!

;)

I would've liked Blayne's outfit more if the details had been in red and blue instead of pink and aqua.

I LOVED Terri's outfit!! I was really bummed to see her not win it....

Some of those outfits would have looked HORRIBLE on anyone muscular at all- especially the gals with muscular legs! I think Terri's would've looked great on just about anyone.

I know RL is keeping the opening ceremonies ensembles a secret, but I found this on atptennis.com today -- looks like we may have a sneak peek of what the men will be wearing . . .

openingceremoniesleak.jpg

Good catch PattyW!

Here's the actual Opening Ceremony outfits...

82218095.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19368FFB0B613D6DEB00B81451EB513CEFBE30A760B0D811297

Looks like the men have 3 button jackets and ties, and the women have 2 button and ascots.

The big problem I have with the actual ones, is that it looks great on TV and in a large group. But individually, it's actually difficult to tell the women from the men. The women's cuts are very masculine.

They're still very smart looking, though.

Terri's looks like a high fashion alternative in the context.

Also if you watch the Opening Ceremonies tonight, note all the different clothes and costumes the different Chinese people and performers are wearing (like the ladies carrying the signs).

Those are exactly what I was also referring to when I was saying that some of the other designers outfits would be good/cute in that context.

Enjoy!

OlympicAthletesOC2008.jpg.08065469556b36f18fb92922b0f9ed66.jpg

I wish they really would wear something like this, it's so sleek and modern, I'm glad she won!

rate_runway_korto_504.jpg

I'm torn on this win. I do think it was top two. I don't think it's a bad win, I think it's a good win, but I'm still torn.

So, why do I like this?

It's a perfect elegant fit. It would look good on several different female athletic body types. I really really like the leather top/vest.

(Hey Sleathah! That's how you make leather look modern and sophisticated - pay attention!)

It's a really good balance between athletic, yet dressy. A lot of the female athletes would love this.

I also took into consideration what could translate well to menswear (I don't know if they ever mentioned it was part of the challenge, but I thought about it, and I know that Apollo did as well).

I could see this translating very well to the men, in a more masculine cut.

So, I give a big thumbs up for this entire look.

Did anyone else notice how the tube top fits- it appears to hit the model right at the center of the breast, with a big bulge above it. I thought it had just slipped down while she was on the runway, but it looks the same in this picture. I like the outfit otherwise, but I think the tube top looks strange that way.

Terri is second!

rate_runway_terri_504.jpg

And this is why I'm torn. After sleeping on it overnight, I think this deserved the win.

Why? The athletes get one "nice" outfit for this ceremony and march. They might need to wear it for interviews afterwards or press events and parties.

They already have their separate official USA sweat suit (as I mentioned above) for before, after and during the actual competitions.

This is a more different alternative for them. It is smart, it is sophisticated, it is modern with a very smart eye and wink to classic American design.

It looks American - in just the way that it is supposed to look.

The jacket is beautiful and smart, and note the attention to the buttons and details. The pants are awesome, and I love the tuxedo stripe down the leg.

The top had a bit of a too tight "fit" (which is what you all are noticing as being a bit "not right" there), but she told her model it was going to be a really tight fit, and that is easily fixed in production - as these are basically just prototypes. The entire idea is there.

It would look great on a wide range of female athletic bodies. It is easily translated to menswear.

And the extra pop of the neckwear is great and different for the TV shots en masse.

I could easily see the female athletes using this jacket and pants after the Olympics for events, parties, press conferences, etc.

To me, this perfectly represented the challenge, and what the athletes would want and be proud to wear.

I'm still okay with Korto winning, but I think this was a step up the sophistication ladder and more actual female athletes would vote for it.

Which brings me to...

Did anyone else notice how the tube top fits- it appears to hit the model right at the center of the breast, with a big bulge above it. I thought it had just slipped down while she was on the runway, but it looks the same in this picture. I like the outfit otherwise, but I think the tube top looks strange that way.

Yes, I noticed as did others. That's why Curt pointed out the "tight fit" comment. In other words, Terri didn't intend it to be so tight - and the tightness altered where the neckline hit.

Anyone watching the Olympic Parade of Athletes?

Notice the the Polish women?

Couldn't find a picture but here's a description.

[i]"On the parade on August, 8th - when the Olympic torch will be ignited on the National Stadium in Beijing - ladies will have a red, airy dresses, scarves, shoes and handbags, and men - navy blue, light trousers and polo shirts." [/i]

Was Daniel in Poland recently?:p

Anyone watching the Olympic Parade of Athletes?

Notice the the Polish women?

Couldn't find a picture but here's a description.

[i]"On the parade on August, 8th - when the Olympic torch will be ignited on the National Stadium in Beijing - ladies will have a red, airy dresses, scarves, shoes and handbags, and men - navy blue, light trousers and polo shirts." [/i]

Was Daniel in Poland recently?:p

And how about the Hungarian women? (I think that's right....) They had on red and white dresses and hats that reminded me of Princess Diana at Ascot circa 1987!

Guess some of those designers weren't as off base as we thought....

I would comment but the spectacle of this opening ceremony took my breath away ... i think I should be able to breathe again by Wedneday.....

Ok .. there were some groups that should have sued the designer .. the red on white floral print was um .. ok .. it was .. moving on .. who decided to put Cheosongs(sp) on the Australians ( I think it was) .. USA looked fabulous if more than a bit understated .. and China wins with the fabulous colors and grand entrance.

But I really feel sorry for London .. trying to even coming close to that display!!!

Hi, I thought the ceremony itself was spectaculor:) ....

The red and white dresses?...even Bob Costas had a moment

there when he was going to be a bit critical:eek: ....a snafu would

be the term.....

As the Parade of Nations went by you could definitely see so

many differences...then again, some countries only had 1 or

2 athletes and "This was THEIR Moment"....more will not get

a medal than will and they looked like they were all soaking it in

that is for sure:)

"Let The Games Begin":D

I fell asleep!

I did ask my husband how many cocktail dresses were being worn by women in the parade and he said he didn't notice any.

The parts of the ceremony I did see were absolutely spectacular! I watched a little bit of the recap on nbc.com, I missed so much :( I wish we would have recorded the replay.

I'm so happy for all the athletes and their families, no matter what they are wearing!

I would comment but the spectacle of this opening ceremony took my breath away ... i think I should be able to breathe again by Wedneday.....

Ok .. there were some groups that should have sued the designer

The ceremony certainly was spectacular....the "boxes" moving up and down were my favorite...the dummers, phenomenal...HOW could 2008 people stay in a circular formation?

Suing would have left off some of those designers too easy. WHAT were they thinking? Some of the things were simply dreadful....don't remember which country but I'm not sure I ever saw such a hideous shade of green.

I always love the countries that don't try to go designer but dress in their ethnic clothes.

Hi, I thought the ceremony itself was spectaculor:) ....

The red and white dresses?...even Bob Costas had a moment

there when he was going to be a bit critical:eek: ....a snafu would

be the term.....

I love Bob Costas...he can slip in some real zingers so matter of factly that I think are missed many times. After Jim McKay, I like him the best as a sports commentator for the Olympics.

I fell asleep!

I did ask my husband how many cocktail dresses were being worn by women in the parade and he said he didn't notice any.

The parts of the ceremony I did see were absolutely spectacular! I watched a little bit of the recap on nbc.com, I missed so much :( I wish we would have recorded the replay.

I'm so happy for all the athletes and their families, no matter what they are wearing!

Hi Kathy, good morning:) I saw 90% of it but I missed the lightening

of the torch (I fell asleep too).;) ...that happens near the end

of the ceremony.

But I must tell you, I was really impressed with it.

Too bad what they did together as a people probably won't

change anything after the games are over:eek: ...but I won't

go there.......

The ceremony certainly was spectacular....the "boxes" moving up and down were my favorite...the dummers, phenomenal...HOW could 2008 people stay in a circular formation?

Suing would have left off some of those designers too easy. WHAT were they thinking? Some of the things were simply dreadful....don't remember which country but I'm not sure I ever saw such a hideous shade of green.

I always love the countries that don't try to go designer but dress in their ethnic clothes.

I love Bob Costas...he can slip in some real zingers so matter of factly that I think are missed many times. After Jim McKay, I like him the best as a sports commentator for the Olympics.

Hi:) I like Costas....I was just relaying what happened to those

who missed it;)

I am guessing you saw it? He and Matt Lauer were bantering a bit

and I think someone might have said something to them into

the ear piece...I don't know that for sure but they realized they

were about to go into a "no no" zone...so they quickly changed topics.

I loved the spectacle of the opening ceremonies.

To the parade of nations, some of the outfits were great, some were just good, and with some like Hungary, I was just shaking my head.

My issue is that most of the designers didn't seem to think about what the athletes would have to be doing in those outfits. Yes, you want them to present a great image to the world, but they have to walk and stand for hours in the heat and humidity think about your choice of fabrics and how many layers they have to wear. Heavy blazers and jackets, women wearing heels, etc.

Was I the only one disappointed with last night's loser pick? I agree that Kelli's design wasn't perfect by any means, but I think it would've looked better if Daniel could actually sew and she didn't have to look over his shoulder. And, I think Blayne's outfit was more off the mark than hers was. With the jacket on, Kelli could at least pull off daytime. Blayne's was way too casual for either day or night. I don't know, I mean, I think I could pull off "slutty, slutty, slutty" way better in my office than being way underdressed.

I agreed with the top two and thought either could be the winner, so no issues there on my part.

I did find it a little funny when Kenley was laughing on the runway after Daniel said he had impeccable taste. He may have good taste when choosing clothes from a store, but I have yet to see anything on the runway that gave me that impression.

What did you all think?

I don't care who thinks he's "good TV" but Blayne's got to go - his outfit was awful last night. Kelli's was kind of weird, but I actually liked the different colors on the bustier. I'm wondering if Daniel is being set up - he's been so whiny the past couple of weeks, so he's either out next week or he starts winning a lot. He needs to have the same kind of epiphany that Jerell had last night: pay attention to the challenge! I also thought the top two designs were good. And I don't know if you stuck around to see the preview from next week, but it looks like it's gonna be hilarious. Kellie

He needs to have the same kind of epiphany that Jerell had last night: pay attention to the challenge!

Yeah, he made some comment about what his design was about. That's all well and good, but I thought the point of the show was to take your point of view and apply it towards the task? Not ignore what the task was really about and design whatever you wanted. Although, I have to say, Brooke Shields rather set him up when she picked his design as one of the six. I suppose it could've been done better, but even if so, who could wear Bermuda shorts to the office?