Secret Menu in MDR

You can ask the waiter if there's an Indian menu (sometimes yes, sometimes no). If not, ask what's available. It's usually pretty good, although the naan on Jewel last month left something to be desired.

Yesssss! That brownie sundae is awesome and just the right size when you want something sweet, but not so big that it is overwhelming. I love it. :D

We just discovered the Kid's Menu on the Jewel last cruise. Ordered a Sundae - pretty good. But will order the Mini Brownie Madness next time for sure. Thanks.

NJ

Kid's Menu from Oasis, February 2018:

dinner_kids_menu.jpg

That is the same kids menu as on Adventure from last week. On another note, why do cruise lines cater so much to Indian food? Not to be insensitive but there's very little American "ethnic" food on board. Namely, not much pulled pork BBQ, no authentic Biscuits and Gravy, no variation of pizza at all with just that terrible bland infamous RC variety. Just wondering.

We once mentioned to the Executive Chef hosting the Chefs table that we loved Jamaica food (He was Jamaican)

He told us to tell the waiter the next day in the MDR at dinner that “Chef Brown” was cooking from the secret menu for us that evening.

Sure enough, the secret menu featured Jerk chicken with rice and peas :) who would have guessed.

Served by Chef Brown himself.

Now that was a special meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the same kids menu as on Adventure from last week. On another note, why do cruise lines cater so much to Indian food? Not to be insensitive but there's very little American "ethnic" food on board. Namely, not much pulled pork BBQ, no authentic Biscuits and Gravy, no variation of pizza at all with just that terrible bland infamous RC variety. Just wondering.

There was biscuits and gravy for breakfast on Grandeur last August. By the oatmeal in Windjammer.

Pulled pork BBQ can cause a riot when you get the sauce versus no sauce, with or without cole slaw groups. :D

We often ask for Indian food. Apart from the Jewel - which had it's own menu - they will usually serve you whatever Indian dishes are being served in the Windjammer that night so it may be worth popping along there first to see if you like what's on offer

If you want Indian food and a much wider variety of ethnic options and amazing desserts - just go to Windjammer. Great options, way more choices!

I agree. Unless you are really keen on eating in the MDR every night, it's a lot easier to have what you want in the Windjammer.

In the MDR we have on occasions have had really great Indian meals, especially if pre-ordered. Sometimes, head waiter has organised a special meal on the day even without pre-ordering. However, that's not always the case. Sometimes it has been very disappointing.

On one occasion my wife who is a vegetarian and had pre-ordered an Indian meal was given just one bowl of veg curry. No rice, roti, nan or anything else. With a little prompting, we got some rice. If you are not the pushy type or one to complain then expect this as a possibility.

There was biscuits and gravy for breakfast on Grandeur last August. By the oatmeal in Windjammer. :D

There was a sign for Biscuits and Sausage Gravy on Adventure a few weeks ago. It had some sort of corn muffin looking bread item beside it and a small bowl of white gravy with green parsley looking things floating around with chunks of cut up sausage. Definitely not real Biscuits and Sausage Gravy. I've ate at Cracker Barrel and Bob Evans 3 times since the cruise a week ago just the get back to normal. :)

I am Indian by descent so our assistant waiter last week on the Oasis bought some Indian curries that he said were part of the crew food. They had an amazing fish curry that even watered my eyes and i am spice freak.

When I was on the Oasis about 6 years ago, we asked for Jamaican food and we got it. The chefs in the kitchen were Jamaican so almost every night we got some Jamaican dish or another in the MDR. It was heavenly!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How much "extra" menu stuff you can get will depend on your waiter. We've had some who will try and get anything you want...and others who will not even give you melted butter for your lobster. It really depends on the waiter.

Didn't you see the pizza on the children's menu in your post?

There was a sign for Biscuits and Sausage Gravy on Adventure a few weeks ago. It had some sort of corn muffin looking bread item beside it and a small bowl of white gravy with green parsley looking things floating around with chunks of cut up sausage. Definitely not real Biscuits and Sausage Gravy. I've ate at Cracker Barrel and Bob Evans 3 times since the cruise a week ago just the get back to normal. :)

You cruise on the wrong ships. :D

It is not the best biscuits and gravy, but it was reasonable.

You cruise on the wrong ships. :D

It is not the best biscuits and gravy, but it was reasonable.

I'm thinking about Grandeur out of Baltimore in the future actually. I didn't care much for the NY New England vibe on Adventure. I might have to check it out. Thanks for the info!

Just got off Harmony, and escargot wasn't on the menu the last few nights. We noticed a plate of it on a tray and asked our waiter how another table got escargot without it being on the menu... next thing you know, we have three plates of escargot!

The next night it wasn't on the menu again... I asked the waiter... we got it anyway.

Moral of the story -- you just never know what you can get, unless you ask!

Just got off Harmony, and escargot wasn't on the menu the last few nights. We noticed a plate of it on a tray and asked our waiter how another table got escargot without it being on the menu... next thing you know, we have three plates of escargot!

The next night it wasn't on the menu again... I asked the waiter... we got it anyway.

Moral of the story -- you just never know what you can get, unless you ask!

On our February Oasis cruise I asked for escargot on a night it wasn't on the menu. I was told NO WAY. You'd have thought I had asked the waiter to jump overboard.

Is there a secret menu of dishes in the MRD if requested? Ie Indian, etc.

We were told it could depend on the passenger list and, if there were many South Asian passengers, the ship would add more dishes to accommodate. I would ask about the buffet menu and if they have any 'special theme' days where they might feature curries etc. Sometimes these are announced and sometimes not. Radiance of the Seas sailing out of Vancouver has had wonderful curries and pappadums. I have been on other ships that have not had such good curries.

We were on a cruise from Vancouver where a young couple who had found great success in their careers were treating Mama and Papa from the 'old' country to a cruise to Hawaii. The parents struggled with the menu and the Head waiter who was of South Asian ancestry took them in hand, attended at table nightly and arranged for curries and dishes they understood for the whole cruise. Wonderful kind service!

Can kids also order from the adult menu if they prefer something on there?

Yes, indeed. They can order whatever they'd like to try. My son has always been a somewhat adventurous eater with a large appetite and has pretty much always ordered at least some items from the adult menu, and we started cruising with the kids when he was 2 1/2. (He is now 16 and is a 6 foot tall 180 lb. hockey / lacrosse player, so imagine the appetite now! :D)

On our February Oasis cruise I asked for escargot on a night it wasn't on the menu. I was told NO WAY. You'd have thought I had asked the waiter to jump overboard.

I have found special requesting in the MDR to have highly variable results between ships, and between servers. One can only try and see what happens.