Share with a Newbie?

Cyber Kat

It's naughty but I sometimes have a little pre breakfast in Mosaic before the main event.

Love those sausage rolls and view them as my treat for getting up a little earlier than my travelling companions

Are you a hobbit? Hobbits always have first breakfast and second breakfast! I always mention "second breakfast," then look around to see who is a Lord of the Rings fan. Sounds like Mosaic is the place to go for first breakfast!

And the beignets! Don't forget the lovely little beignets with their dollop of custard filling. I enjoyed those on a daily basis during Journey's just-completed, Sydney to Singapore run. The mini chocolate croissants ran a close second...

OMG beignets! I'm going to have to lose weight before this cruise for sure! ;)

Apologies if any of these have been mentioned-

Don’t miss the Dim Sum Brunch in Discoveries, one of our favorite AZ food experiences. They usually have it on a sea day.

Hairdryer - unless they have changed them, they can be challenging to use because you have to hold down the button to keep it on, can make it difficult to style your hair. Some people bring their own because of this.

On our first cruise, we were unaware that AZ brings on local tourism reps at each port (except Russia) and they are set up at a table on 4. Really helpful as you can get a map or ask questions before you disembark for the day.

We always get the Chef’s Table plus 2 for $270 per couple. We think the price is well worth it and on a 12 night cruise that’s enough special dining experiences for us because we enjoy Discoveries very much, occasionally eat dinner at the Patio and of course there’s the White Night Buffet on deck (weather permitting) — all this gives us plenty of variety for dinner choices.

We like to take a Yeti with us no matter what cruise line we are on. That way we can fill it with coffee or water and have it up on the sundeck or walking around the ship. Even though you can get beverages all over the ship, we just find using the Yeti convenient to keep our beverages hot or cold.

I also take several different size ziploc bags with me. They have a variety of uses.

For an after-dinner drink that’s “included” in the basic AZ beverages try a Vodka Stinger — Vodka and Creme de Menthe. We like to Google all the included AZ. Cocktails our first night to find new drinks to try. You will find there’s quite a selection!

Dim Sum too! I'm in big trouble!

Rats about the hair dryer. Those are a pain, but I can live with it because I'm mostly just drying my bangs. I have really long hair that I wear in a braid. I usually just let it dry naturally by standing on the balcony, but as long as it's not sopping wet, I can braid it and be done.

We could use a local person in Charleston because I've never been there and my husband was only there eons ago in the Navy :D But we know Bermuda like our home town. It's our absolute favorite place to visit. We don't usually cruise there, but the chance to dock in Hamilton - which is a rarity these days - was one of the lures of this itinerary. I'm already planning a whale watch with the Bermuda Aquarium! Looking forward to exploring Charleston, though.

I think we will get one of the dining packages. I like to mix things up, so that should work.

So many people do that with a Yeti or similar. I just don't want anything to have to carry around other than my camera - which is always with me. But then I've been known to drink stone cold coffee or tea without a thought and warm soda. I'm weird that way :cool:

Ziplock bags - my absolute necessity. I don't know how I ever traveled without them. All sizes - so many uses! We had soaking wet water shoes on our last cruise. Into the zip lock, into the suitcase, into the ziplock with the damp swimsuits - home safe with nothing else wet!

Thanks everyone for all these tips! This is exactly what I was hoping for. There always seem to be things you never learn until you are getting off a ship. I want to know these things when I can still take advantage of them!

Our current suite experience is that delivery has always been in the first half of slot. No different to the accuracy of delivery point in an ordinary room so Phil is right.

Although I’m currently in a suite and enjoying it and over half our cruises have been suite based I can’t understand why people bang on about suite experiences when clearly the guest wants a verandah room which works perfectly for 80% of guests

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, I would actually love a suite, but my husband isn't convinced of the cost/value ratio ;p Well, be fine in the veranda. I'll just get in his way a lot, and he'll see the value for our next trip :cool:

We are new to cruising. Eighteen months ago we tried an Azamara cruise and we loved it so much we have enjoyed two more trips on Journey since then and have two more booked.

I am learning loads from this thread but am devastated to learn about afternoon tea being available in the Living Room. I have missed about fifty!

One question I need to ask is what is a Yeti?

Lynn

HA! See this is why I ask - I hate missing out on all the good stuff repeat cruisers on a ship know about.

I also noticed that J.E.C mentioned tapas - adding that to my list, as well! Thanks!

Charleston

There are four historical homes in the city, four you can drive to.three are on the same road. There is the Gibbs Museum. Walking the Battery..lovely views and homes. Fort Sumpter.

Food

The list is endless. My favorite lunch spot is 82 Queen for She Crap soup. Call ahead to get the rolls made. For some reason they no longer serve thrn at lunch.

My favorite dinner spot is Charleston Place due to live music. Two bars both with music.

There are tons of places to eat on King,Meeting and East Bay. Most need dinner Rezies.

Ask more questions many have the answers.

Our perfect dining evening on Azamara is:

First course tapas in the Living Room either before or after getting changed for dinner (no need to get changed - but we like to)

Second course DIY salad from the buffet they have a fabulous range.

Main course move to the Patio for either their special or the Lamb.

Dessert gelato from the buffet eaten on the sunset bar.

I know this will not suit anyone who likes to sit down and be served a whole meal in one go but it works for us.

Word of warning - the wonderful staff are very swift to top up your wine glass which makes it quite easy to loose track of - well quite a lot of things! From experience we wait until tapas until our first drink of the day.

HA! See this is why I ask - I hate missing out on all the good stuff repeat cruisers on a ship know about.

I also noticed that J.E.C mentioned tapas - adding that to my list, as well! Thanks!

This morning I remembered another favourite at breakfast. The ginger and orange energy booster shots. You can get one as you walk past the bar in Windows. They are really good!

Phil