Share with a Newbie?

Cyber Kat

We just booked our first Azamara cruise. The itinerary was just too good to resist - Sails from NYC, 2 nights in Charleston,SC, couple of sea days, 2 nights in Hamilton (not Dockyard), Bermuda! - then home to NYC.

We were looking to fill a gap with something that didn't involve flying to a port. I checked the lines that regularly sail from NY/NJ and didn't see anything, so I did a general Google search and this cruise on Azamara Journey came up. It's a golfing thing. We don't golf, but I've been told that's not an issue.

We are really excited about the itinerary, and excited to try a new cruise line. So here's my request - I know regulars of all likes have tips and secrets - I'm hoping you'll share so I can feel right at home when we board. You all know what I mean - things that are "don't skip," and others that are "avoid this."

Help a new Azamara cruiser out?

Make sure you eat out in Charleston. Great places to eat and drink there.

Book your speciality restaurants as soon as you get on the ship..meaning before you do anything. That way you get the times you want.

A "don't miss" would be White Night and the Azamazing Evening. The officers barbecue on WN is great and the atmosphere is buzzing. The Azamazing Evening will probably be something unique.

Definitely eat at least once in the speciality restaurants Aqualina and Prime C. If you like Asian food then the Curry Night in the buffet has spectacularly good curry. Italian Night is pretty good too. It's wonderful to sit outside in the evening at the back of Windows cafe.

If you are in a Club Continent suite then they bring an afternoon tea trolley along at about 3:30 pm and it's great to sit out on your balcony in the afternoon to chill out with it.

There is a lovely little deck area in the Spa which you can use if you have had a treatment that day....or I believe you can pay for a day pass? It's very quiet and relaxing. Don't bother paying for a Nespresso coffee. The included coffee I'm Mosaic cafe is actually better and the little cakes and snacks are free.

I prefer breakfast in the MDR as it's relaxing and quiet but sometimes I will go to Windows cafe and sit outside in the sunshine for brekkie. The breakfast smoothies are great.

I hope the entertainment has improved by the time you board....or by the time I board Quest in June. Have a great cruise.

Thanks everyone! I'm making notes :) The Azamazing Evening - I take it that's something different each cruise? The White Night sounds like fun! We are in a

Club Veranda: V2. Tried to talk DH into the Continent Suite, but I couldn't convince him. Do they do tea elsewhere on the ship?

We definitely want to eat in the specialty restaurants, so we will be sure to book them fast!

We have favorite places to eat in Bermuda, so we will probably eat there the 2 nights we are in Hamilton.

Rijsttafel? Really? We did that in Amsterdam ages ago. DH wasn't wild about it, but I'd give it another go!

We are in a Club Veranda: V2. Tried to talk DH into the Continent Suite, but I couldn't convince him.

After he experiences the embrace of the shower curtain he will apologize for not taking your advice!

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

This might also get him to go to,a larger cabin. The cabin you are in is 175 sq feet. Not sure in meters, if I had to use that tiny cabin I would shower in the ladies locker room.

You will have to pay for a day pass to use the area Lottie mention.

You will have to pay for the two,speciality restaurants. Think it is $35 a person,

I prefer breakfast in cabin but your cabin might be too small.

Tea is at the coffee bar ir afternoon tea served in the Living Room.

This might also get him to go to,a larger cabin. The cabin you are in is 175 sq feet. Not sure in meters, if I had to use that tiny cabin I would shower in the ladies locker room.

You will have to pay for a day pass to use the area Lottie mention.

You will have to pay for the two,speciality restaurants. Think it is $35 a person,

I prefer breakfast in cabin but your cabin might be too small.

Tea is at the coffee bar ir afternoon tea served in the Living Room.

Thanks! I tried :) We know we have to pay for the specialty restaurants. We have some OBC and we were thinking of getting one of the packages. And much as I like the idea of breakfast in the cabin, I've never been able to manage it for any cruise. It's like we're just programmed to head where to food is instead of having food come to us!

If the cruise was longer, I'd have insisted - but we'll see. Thanks!

The speciality restaurants are $30 pp but you can buy a package for $70 pp which gives you three meals in speciality restaurants.

My other tip is to try the ginger based ‘Energiser’ small smoothie from the smoothie bar in Windows for breakfast. You can drink it on its own, but I pour mine into my fresh orange juice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The speciality restaurants are $30 pp but you can buy a package for $70 pp which gives you three meals in speciality restaurants.

My other tip is to try the ginger based ‘Energiser’ small smoothie from the smoothie bar in Windows for breakfast. You can drink it on its own, but I pour mine into my fresh orange juice.

I love ginger! I will definitely look for that!

I love ginger! I will definitely look for that!

Everyone is different, but I think you’ll be happy with your V2. That’s what we always booked until we upgraded last cruise to club continent suite. I love, love, loved the bathroom but none of the other amenities were worth the huge price difference IMHO. Seemed like a lot to pay for a nice shower! We really enjoy the MDR, never touched the in room liquor, and the balcony was ample for my morning room service.

Agree with Robin that you definitely want to have dinner in Charleston...one of my favorite cities on earth.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by pickypicky

The crew is always outstanding from the moment you embark to the tearful goodbyes.

Engage with the members of your Roll Call. Many of the passengers will have cruised Azamara before and you really will feel like you are cruising with your best friends. The passenger complement is stellar.

The outdoor area behind the Windows Cafe is a favorite chilling spot. And the lounge next to the MDR is the perfect spot for a pre-dinner drink with friends.

I haven't been on the Journey in quite a while but if they still do the brunch in the MDR it's worth a leisurely mid day interlude.

Thanks! I tried :) We know we have to pay for the specialty restaurants. We have some OBC and we were thinking of getting one of the packages. And much as I like the idea of breakfast in the cabin, I've never been able to manage it for any cruise. It's like we're just programmed to head where to food is instead of having food come to us!

If the cruise was longer, I'd have insisted - but we'll see. Thanks!

There is nothing wrong with the standard size cabins. They are small, but perfectly formed. I never have an issue in one and have stayed in almost all of Azamara's cabin grades from the large suites down. The storage is fine and so is the bathroom and shower. How much time do you spend in there anyway? The balcony verandas are perfectly adequate for breakfast if you want and the weather is decent. The tables out there are pretty large.

I honestly don't think it's very helpful or thoughtful to say "you should have booked a Club Continent Suite" when clearly you have a balcony booked and it's the deal. Suites can be quite a bit more expensive and to me not always worth the extra expense. You'll be fine. Enjoy!

Phil

Hi does somebody know if Azamara has menues in Spanish? I am trying to motivate a friend to cruise with Azamara but she only speaks Spanish. I have thought I post the question here instead of opening a new thread, since it is quite a simple question and she is a potential newbie.

Ivi

Thanks everyone! I'm making notes :) The Azamazing Evening - I take it that's something different each cruise? The White Night sounds like fun! We are in a

Club Veranda: V2. Tried to talk DH into the Continent Suite, but I couldn't convince him. Do they do tea elsewhere on the ship?

We definitely want to eat in the specialty restaurants, so we will be sure to book them fast!

We have favorite places to eat in Bermuda, so we will probably eat there the 2 nights we are in Hamilton.

Rijsttafel? Really? We did that in Amsterdam ages ago. DH wasn't wild about it, but I'd give it another go!

A V2 is absolutely fine, the majority of guests onboard do not have suites and cope very happily. Sometimes you need to be more organised and synchronise things with your partner in the room, but it’s very simple to achieve.

The front spa deck is getting very crowded and only has 8 loungers on it now, so unless the thalassotherapy pool is a must, there no problem getting beds elsewhere, deck 11 is a great spot.

There is self service afternoon tea in the living room, deck 10 and from 3-4 they lay out the same scones, jam and cream as butlers bring Suite guests. Actually in a suite waiting for the butler to do his rounds can be a nuisance so diy and the servers bring you the tea over is just as good.

And there’s will be no problem having breakfast on your balcony or in your room, it’s a lovely way to start the day.

Everyone is different, but I think you’ll be happy with your V2. That’s what we always booked until we upgraded last cruise to club continent suite. I love, love, loved the bathroom but none of the other amenities were worth the huge price difference IMHO. Seemed like a lot to pay for a nice shower! We really enjoy the MDR, never touched the in room liquor, and the balcony was ample for my morning room service.

Agree with Robin that you definitely want to have dinner in Charleston...one of my favorite cities on earth.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is basically what my husband was thinking. We’ll see - maybe next time [emoji16]

The crew is always outstanding from the moment you embark to the tearful goodbyes.

Engage with the members of your Roll Call. Many of the passengers will have cruised Azamara before and you really will feel like you are cruising with your best friends. The passenger complement is stellar.

The outdoor area behind the Windows Cafe is a favorite chilling spot. And the lounge next to the MDR is the perfect spot for a pre-dinner drink with friends.

I haven't been on the Journey in quite a while but if they still do the brunch in the MDR it's worth a leisurely mid day interlude.

Hoping there will be more on our roll call. Only 2 of us so far, but it’s early, yet.

A V2 is absolutely fine, the majority of guests onboard do not have suites and cope very happily. Sometimes you need to be more organised and synchronise things with your partner in the room, but it’s very simple to achieve.

The front spa deck is getting very crowded and only has 8 loungers on it now, so unless the thalassotherapy pool is a must, there no problem getting beds elsewhere, deck 11 is a great spot.

There is self service afternoon tea in the living room, deck 10 and from 3-4 they lay out the same scones, jam and cream as butlers bring Suite guests. Actually in a suite waiting for the butler to do his rounds can be a nuisance so diy and the servers bring you the tea over is just as good.

And there’s will be no problem having breakfast on your balcony or in your room, it’s a lovely way to start the day.

Thanks. The thalassotherapy is nice, but not a must. Will check out deck 11.

Self service tea will be fine. I just love afternoon tea. I usually have a cup and a cookie each day, scones are always a treat.

We really have no need for a butler, although packing after our last cruise I said to my husband, that I’m starting to rethink the whole butler thing. Packing is such a pain. We didn’t buy much but somehow I seemed to have ended up with more to take home than I brought.

Hi does somebody know if Azamara has menues in Spanish? I am trying to motivate a friend to cruise with Azamara but she only speaks Spanish. I have thought I post the question here instead of opening a new thread, since it is quite a simple question and she is a potential newbie.

Ivi

Hi travelberlin,

Yes the MDR menus are available in Spanish and French. I believe also in our specialty restaurants. You should let the restaurant manager know when you board, so that the menus are waiting for you and your friend, and we don’t waste your time locating them.

Hi travelberlin,

Yes the MDR menus are available in Spanish and French. I believe also in our specialty restaurants. You should let the restaurant manager know when you board, so that the menus are waiting for you and your friend, and we don’t waste your time locating them.

Thanks Bonnie! I am glad to hear about that.

Ivi

[/left]

After he experiences the embrace of the shower curtain he will apologize for not taking your advice!

A set of tablecloth weights like these

https://www.amazon.com/Prodyne-Garden-Dwellers-Tablecloth-Weights/dp/B00WTBVXLI/ref=br_lf_m_g4cra6dy3a966wu_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=kitchen

Or about 4 wooden clothes pins clipped to the bottom of the shower curtain take care of "bum cling" quite nicely.

A set of tablecloth weights like these

https://www.amazon.com/Prodyne-Garden-Dwellers-Tablecloth-Weights/dp/B00WTBVXLI/ref=br_lf_m_g4cra6dy3a966wu_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=kitchen

Or about 4 wooden clothes pins clipped to the bottom of the shower curtain take care of "bum cling" quite nicely.

I have a bunch of magnetic clips that generally do shower curtain duty quite nicely [emoji16]

I envy you for being able to avoid a long flight to your cruise. That simply isn't an option here in Idaho!

You should try all of the restaurants and consider too, one of the Chef's Tables. They're a bit more expensive than the specialty restaurants, but the food and paired wine is sublime. Breakfasts are great in Windows and MDR, but if your in a hurry, room service will have whatever you want precisely when you want it. Even if you aren't in a hurry, breakfast on your balcony is worth doing. There's plenty of room for that inside, as well.

Enjoy!

Melissa