Shore Excursion Question

So a question about excursions. I know some of them are shorter than the time we spent in port (say you are in port for 7 hours and an excursion is three hours). After the excursion can you stay in the city or does being part of an excursion mean they have to drive you back to the ship? I'm going on a cruise where we will be in Ravenna and Kotor and both have excursions I might be interested in but I don't want to only spend the time in the city with the excursion and then be forced back to the ship when we still have some time left in the city to explore. This is my first cruise so apologies if this is a well known thing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

So a question about excursions. I know some of them are shorter than the time we spent in port (say you are in port for 7 hours and an excursion is three hours). After the excursion can you stay in the city or does being part of an excursion mean they have to drive you back to the ship? I'm going on a cruise where we will be in Ravenna and Kotor and both have excursions I might be interested in but I don't want to only spend the time in the city with the excursion and then be forced back to the ship when we still have some time left in the city to explore. This is my first cruise so apologies if this is a well known thing.

Depends on the tour operator, ask them. We've been able to stay in town a number of times on ship excursions.

.....but of course you are then responsible for getting yourself back to the ship. :)

Yep. And they are very clear on that.

I've been on some excursions where people wanted to go off and do their own thing partway through (not with RCCL) and they were asked to sign a form that they were leaving the tour and a) would receive no refund for the remainder of the tour if applicable (leaving partway through a tour) and b) were now fully responsible for getting themselves back to the ship and could not hold the tour company accountable if they missed the ship.

You may be offered the option to stay someplace if the tour ends well before departure. However, make sure you:

a) know where the ship departs

b) know when the ship departs (and what the current time is)

c) know how long of a journey it will be back to the ship

d) know how you will get back and

e) have the proper currency to pay any operator you use to get back