$200 OBC for Celebrity Credit Card

I was aware from Celebrity's website that you could get a CC and earn 10,000 points equal to $100. However, I thought it was only available for $69 per year. It also gives you a few other perks like 50% of a 2nd persons purchase of a specialty meal (value $25) and 10% off a drink package that can't be combined with other discounts.

I didn't think it was worth it for the annual fee so I passed. Then I found out there is one that has no annual fee and still gets you the $100 OBC. So, I plan on getting one for my wife and one for me and get $200 OBC for no cost.

Here is the link. https://www.celebritycruises.com/celebrity-cruises-credit-card

I would caution you have to have enough time before your cruise to get the card and get the credit which they say could take 4-6 weeks.

Am I missing anything?

By the way, I did something similar a few years ago getting a RCCL card to get OBC and it worked fine.

Orv....you do realize that you will get $231 back with the $69 card vs $200 back with the free card. I'd just get one $69 card, get the bonus and then decide if you really even want to keep it. Most of the benefits can be bettered with other credit cards.....

Orv....you do realize that you will get $231 back with the $69 card vs $200 back with the free card. I'd just get one $69 card, get the bonus and then decide if you really even want to keep it. Most of the benefits can be bettered with other credit cards.....

No, I'm not sure what you're saying about the $231? Please explain. This is not a new card, we're past the bonus period. I don't plan on getting any new cards in the near future.

I actually only use this card for paying for Celebrity or RCCL cruises. I use another card that I get better value with for other purchases.

I'm also not sure where you are getting the 231. Right now the 69 card is offering the same 10,000 pts as the no fee card. Iam only saying 200 because my wife and I will each get a card. We don't have one now. The other current benifets don't even equal many of my other cards for spending money, even on Carnival. My Citi card gives 3 pts per 1 dollar for travel. So, I just getting these for the initial 100 bonus on this, our first Celebrity Cruise.

So, using a Royal Caribbean credit card gives you a benefit on a Celebrity cruise?

Yes, we have one and used it numerous times.

Thanks! I just called them and switched my deposit to the RCI card to get the double points.

I guess this is a semi-high jack of the thread. I apologize if it is. But I’ve been going through the getting a Celebrity/RCI reward card dilemma for years. I’m just not sold. As was mentioned above. There are other better options. I’m a frequent leisure traveler and former part time road warrior of many years ago. I just don’t see these BofA cards as a good option.

Sure OBC is nice, but when you look at the points and the other rewards I just don’t seen the benefit over using a different rewards card, like Chase Sapphire for example. The rewards and 1:1 partner point transfer just seem like a better return than a few hundred bucks OBC.

Other than joining and getting the bonus points for the OBC on a cruise, I doubt I’d ever use it as a regular card, even for booking a cruise. I’d most likely cancel after using the points for OBC.

Am I wrong in my analysis?

TW

I have had the card since they originally started the program. The first one they ended, then they started up again, with the same bank. I have no idea why.

So now I have 3 Bank of America Credit Cards. I only use the Celebrity one.

You can use your points for more than just OBC.

I use mine only for cruising on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, and I never take the OBC option. I always take the option to pay down the credit card. If I leave the ship with a bill that might have been covered by OBC, I'm earning more points on that amount. Since there's no fee for the card I have, it works for me. YMMV.

I was aware from Celebrity's website that you could get a CC and earn 10,000 points equal to $100. However, I thought it was only available for $69 per year. It also gives you a few other perks like 50% of a 2nd persons purchase of a specialty meal (value $25) and 10% off a drink package that can't be combined with other discounts.

I didn't think it was worth it for the annual fee so I passed. Then I found out there is one that has no annual fee and still gets you the $100 OBC. So, I plan on getting one for my wife and one for me and get $200 OBC for no cost.

Here is the link. https://www.celebritycruises.com/celebrity-cruises-credit-card

I would caution you have to have enough time before your cruise to get the card and get the credit which they say could take 4-6 weeks.

Am I missing anything?

By the way, I did something similar a few years ago getting a RCCL card to get OBC and it worked fine.

I have the card no fee and it works fine. However when we got cards for my wife and i we had to spend 3000.

dollars each in the first 3 months in order to receive your points. If your cruise 5 months out you will be fine.

Pay for the cruise with the card and receive double points.

I guess this is a semi-high jack of the thread. I apologize if it is. But I’ve been going through the getting a Celebrity/RCI reward card dilemma for years. I’m just not sold. As was mentioned above. There are other better options. I’m a frequent leisure traveler and former part time road warrior of many years ago. I just don’t see these BofA cards as a good option.

Sure OBC is nice, but when you look at the points and the other rewards I just don’t seen the benefit over using a different rewards card, like Chase Sapphire for example. The rewards and 1:1 partner point transfer just seem like a better return than a few hundred bucks OBC.

Other than joining and getting the bonus points for the OBC on a cruise, I doubt I’d ever use it as a regular card, even for booking a cruise. I’d most likely cancel after using the points for OBC.

TW

I am with you. We travel often and get better rewards using our Chase credit cards when you look at the bottom line. Also, people who sign up for these kinds of things regularly need to keep an eye on what they are doing to their credit ratings. If you make a habit of signing up and then later cancelling these types of cards just to get perks you may be damaging your credit rating. Not saying at all that they are not a good option for some - it is up to each individual to determine what is best for them. They just need to keep options open and don't forget credit rating impacts if you sign up and cancel often.

TW

I agree. I am only getting these cards for the free $100 each OBC. I am hoping it is only $300 to spend, not $3000 since it didn't say on the offer how much you need to spend. I will use my Costco Citi card to purchase the trip since it not only gives me 3% back on travel purchases it gives me complete trip insurance not including medical.

As far as credit score goes, that is strange. I am a retired from the financial world so I know a lot about scores. It depends on how many overall cards you have and how much percentage of the limit you use. The current scoring method is criminal however. I am told I don't have enough cards. Also, the scoring does not take into consideration a person who pays off the entire balances of their cards every month. So, when I use a card for $5000 lets say, in order to purchase the cruise and get either rebates or points, my score goes down even though it is paid in full every month. It is crazy. It also uses the percentage of your total credit line you owe as an important factor. So, when I get this card and they give me 10k credit and I use 300, it lowers my overall percentage. By the way, I highly recommend Credit Karma to everyone. It is free and lets you check your credit whenever you want. It also lets you do your taxes for free.

No, I'm not sure what you're saying about the $231? Please explain. This is not a new card, we're past the bonus period. I don't plan on getting any new cards in the near future.

I actually only use this card for paying for Celebrity or RCCL cruises. I use another card that I get better value with for other purchases.

Hey GH, still waiting to get the inside scoop on this.