Noordam Maiden Voyage Cocktails & Dinner

JimandStan

We're getting down to the wire, kids, and, the (gasp) subject of money has reared its' ugly head.

The restaurant refuses to split an 18 person cheque onto 15 seperate credit cards, so, what is the next best alternative?

:confused:

I'll consider all advice, however, majority must rule!

Our vote is that we all bring plenty of cash, and that we appoint a "treasurer" for each table.

I pretty much figured that such would be the case. Is Bill Gates in our group? He's not? Then my thought is that cash is the way to go. :) About how much cash would be suggested for the average person at such a restaurant? :)

I've been thinking......what should we do to identify fellow CC'rs once we're on the ship? Should everyone wear a yellow scarf, or, perhaps a yellow rose in our lapels?

(I picked yellow, because the CC logo is yellow!)

:p

I will have my CC lanyard around my neck for that all-important room key (with the exception of formal evenings, of course:rolleyes: )

We're getting down to the wire, kids, and, the (gasp) subject of money has reared its' ugly head.

The restaurant refuses to split an 18 person cheque onto 15 seperate credit cards, so, what is the next best alternative?

:confused:

I'll consider all advice, however, majority must rule!

Our vote is that we all bring plenty of cash, and that we appoint a "treasurer" for each table.

Aha! I was wondering if the "bean counters" at the View would allow us to dine "gratis" :D ..... apparently not. Cash must rule, then. Question is: "Do they accept individual credit cards during the "cocktail hour". If not.... more cash, naturally! Hmmmm, let's see, at $10/martini.....(just kidding). My Zagat Guide rates it as "expensive", with the average tab at about $55/per person (not counting drinks, or tips).

Only one request..... please "draft" some other poor soul at my table as "treasurer"..... I always had to stay late after school because my math homework was never correct :rolleyes:

Hi All,

We are excited about the Noordam inaugural too. My husband and I are bringing our daughter and his parents, so there will be 5 of us. Yes, it was incredibly expensive, but inaugurals don't come around that often, and Feb. 22 is my 40th birthday, so we splurged.

I hope to see you all onboard. Unfortunately, we won't be able to make the dinner on 2/21, because we are driving up from VA on 2/22. It sounds like great fun though.

Take care and hope we all have a wonderful time!

Mary

Mary, Will you be joining us on the "Roll Call" thread so that we may add you to our growing list of CC'ers onboard? The thread is:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=112836&page=26

• 2 weeks later...

The good news is that, as it turns out, we won't have to worry about sordid things like money at the "Bon Voyage Dinner".

The bad news is that, considering the size of our group (we are now 18 strong), the restaurant absolutely insists that we order from a preset menu, (see below) and pay in advance.

The cost is $96.00 for a four course dinner (all inclusive, including coffee/tea, tax and gratuity).

The choices are:

2006 GROUP MENU DELUXE

THE VIEW RESTAURANT

Package price includes a Four Course Dinner, Coffee or Tea, Tax and Gratuity.

SOUP

Lobster Bisque

SALAD

Caesar Salad

ENTRÉE

All Entrees Will Be Accompanied By Our Chef’s Selection of Fresh Seasonal Vegetables and Starch.

Licorice Honey Glazed Chicken

or

Porcini Dusted Filet Mignon

or

Fennel Baked White Cod

DESSERT TASTING PLATE

Honey Cinnamon Apple Cake Chocolate Mousse Dome New York Cheesecake

$96.00 Per Person

Menu not offered to groups of 45 guests or more,

VALID APRIL 1, 2006-MARCH 31, 2007

I would ask that each attendee, contact me at Fixeruppers@optonline.net , so that we can iron out Menu selections, and, method of payment.

Thanks-

Well ... someone else can have my soup. I'm not fond of Lobster Bisque.

This is a bummer ... a fixed menu?

Gee.

revneal And..... I'm not fond of Caesar Salad. While it is disappointing that The View has chosen this path, for this size group, I'm not sure we will find a restaurant that won't have the same "house rules":rolleyes:. What any restaurant is going to want is "turnover"... "in and out"... that is the way they make money;).

These Noordam/NYC/Rihga/Cocktails and Dinner threads have gotten so long with some changes of plans along the way, it is hard to keep track.

Could one of you participating in most of the CC group activities post a summary of the main NYC plans, please- lunches, dinners, tours, limo tours, Martha (what was that about exactly) etc. for those of us not going?

Thanks. It sounds like a blast.

revneal And..... I'm not fond of Caesar Salad.

Then, let's swap. I'll eat your Salad ... you can have my soup. :)

While it is disappointing that The View has chosen this path, for this size group, I'm not sure we will find a restaurant that won't have the same "house rules". What any restaurant is going to want is "turnover"... "in and out"... that is the way they make money

I know and agree ... I'm there for the people, anyway. :)

Our group has decreased to 14, so we no longer need to worry about the fixed menu or paying in advance! Everything is back to being a standard restaurant reservation again!

It is too bad that the turn of events dictated by the restraurant has caused some cancellations. I am sure we will miss those who are not able to join us. Looking forward to catching up with them aboard the ship!

It is too bad that the turn of events dictated by the restraurant has caused some cancellations. I am sure we will miss those who are not able to join us. Looking forward to catching up with them aboard the ship!

Bravo, Calm Seas! It's just that the darned Set Menu was causing me so much grief that I didn't consider the people.......sorry all!

Obviously not everyone agreed that $96/pp for dinner with no alcohol, wine or even soda is all that reasonable even in NYC. $200 for 2 people is a lot of money, NYC or elsewhere .......... especially for cod or chicken!

Having lived in NYC and environs for over 30 years, I think I'm fairly up to date. True, we moved to Florida 6 years ago so things may have changed a bit, but Palm Beach offers up some pretty nice restaurants where we can get a very nice dinner for under $200.

Heather-

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, however, Manhattan prices have syrocketed. The average price for dinner at Ducasse is $179.00 per person (excluding taxes, tip and liquor).

The average price at Per Se is $201.00 pp, excluding same.

Sad to say, $100.00 a person, while not quite "middle of the road" is increasingly common in New York City. (Manhattan, anyway)

And that's not even considering the fact that cocktails are hovering around $15.00 per at your better eateries! (I laugh when Hal repeaters cry about $7.50!)

All in all, considering the overhead that must come WITH that fabulous view, I'm suprised that "THE VIEW" isn't more expensive!

Have a great day!

Jim

Jim, thanks for that frightening update! The Manhattan restaurants are just one of the things I miss about NYC. Thank goodness I was there in a time that we could enjoy so many of the better restaurants (and a few not so "better" which were some of my favorites;) ). One of the absolute tops on my list was One If By Land Two If By Sea in the Village. Very few (at the time) knew of it but last I checked it was still there. Wonder what it would cost today?

Looks like I wouldn't be dining out much if we still lived there, but at least I'd still be in our rent controlled apartment!

Have a wonderful dinner together and an amazing journey on the Noordam!:)

Heather,

Actually the prices they have been mentioning here are pretty much the going rate in NYC now.

For just an evenings dinner out, it is not that bad NYC wise. But when you add to it what you have already shelled out for plane tickets to get to NYC, hotel rooms pre cruise, plus the cruise itself (which I have gathered from a few posts here was not to cheap:() plus the expenses you will incur on the cruise itself. Then it can be a bit pricey.

In any event, I wish all you lucky folks a wonderful time and a safe trip.

ENJOY:)

Heather-

We love 1IBL,2IBS too! Their Beef Wellington is HEAVEN! And it is such a pretty restaurant, too, isn't it?:D

One if by Land, Two if by Sea

17 Barrow St.

(bet. 7th Ave. S. & W. 4th St.)

Manhattan, NY

212-228-0822

http://www.oneifbyland.com

According to Zagat, it's $71.00pp there, which is exactly the same as Café Boulud down in your neck of the woods!

Have you been there? If it's anything like Daniel Bouluds' "Daniel" in New York, you MUST treat yourself!

We did Daniel for my last birthday, and it was truly EXQUISITE!! Best food I've had in my whole mouth (lol)!

Heather-

We love 1IBL,2IBS too! Their Beef Wellington is HEAVEN! And it is such a pretty restaurant, too, isn't it?:D

One if by Land, Two if by Sea

17 Barrow St.

(bet. 7th Ave. S. & W. 4th St.)

Manhattan, NY

212-228-0822

http://www.oneifbyland.com

According to Zagat, it's $71.00pp there, which is exactly the same as Café Boulud down in your neck of the woods!

Have you been there? If it's anything like Daniel Bouluds' "Daniel" in New York, you MUST treat yourself!

We did Daniel for my last birthday, and it was truly EXQUISITE!! Best food I've had in my whole mouth (lol)!

Thanks for the suggestion you two!

I just made reservations there for 8.30 Sunday Evening!

:D

Ooooooooooooh ... yes, yes, yes!!!! It's almost the same!!!:) We so loved it there. Brian, you will absolutely love it. The ambiance alone is worth the trip. Years ago (and I'm not sure if it's still true), you really had to know it was there. Just a tiny little sign out front on Barrow Street. Oh, this so takes me back you have no idea. I wanna come, I wanna come!!!

No, JimandStan, I haven't been to Cafe Boulud! I just found the website. Maybe for our anniversary in April. From the sublime to the ridiculous, another favorite haunt in the Village for me was Buffalo Roadhouse ... sure it's not still there. They had the BEST steamed clams.

And I'm sure Le Madrigal, Giraffe, and Lutece are long gone. How I miss those amazing restaurants of NYC.

Brian, don't forget to tell me how you like One If By Land ... can't tell you how many times I was there many, many years ago ... always on the mezzanine.

Sorry, everyone!!! Back to your plans:) ... I just got lost in the past for a moment.:o

Archived