buying wifi?

39august

As it happens i called captains club today to see if i could get the elite discount on a pre-cruise purchase of an internet package. I did, and the extremely helpful young lady told me that up to 4devices can now use it.

Thats just verbal for now, but i can let you know in 10 days how it worked out ��

Yes, please report back and thank you!!! If you can also report on any details of what is available on board.

So inconsistent that you are told 4 devices, I am told 2 devices and the website doesn't clarify at all :rolleyes: i guess this is typical for celebrity though.

One idea, if you are a little tech savy, is to use a device called a HooToo Tripmate (check Amazon). I've used one in hotels that charge for internet per device, and for streaming devices. You connect it to the Wifi you purchased by logging into their app, which connects to the device, then have all your devices connect to the device. It only works when near it as your phone, laptop,etc. all have to be in range of the little box, but it has a battery, so you could take it with you in a bag and use your phone places. Again, I have NOT done this on the ships, but have used it in hotels so that I could log my Roku into the hotel WiFi (before they added the browser feature), and in Vegas as they were still charging for WiFi the last time I was there.

I am so happy I read your post! It reminded me that I have an app on my android phone (I've had it forever!) called FoxFi. It allows me to use my phone as a WIFI hub and connect other devices to it as its own secure, password protected network. I often use it in the car to connect my tablet (WIFI) only, or have my grandchildren connect their devices. In those situations I'm using mobile data, however if I connected my phone to X WIFI and then link my other devices to FoxFi I could have multiple devices working at once. I will try that on my home WIFI network to test it out.

I'm not techsavvy enough for this, but I think you can only hotspot a cellular connection. I don't think you can hotspot a wifi connection. For example, if I turned off my cellular at home, and tried to create a hot spot for someone to connect their phone or ipad, it would not work.

i think that may be the difference between what hagainps suggested and what you want to do. But I'm not an expert in this.

I'm not techsavvy enough for this, but I think you can only hotspot a cellular connection. I don't think you can hotspot a wifi connection. For example, if I turned off my cellular at home, and tried to create a hot spot for someone to connect their phone or ipad, it would not work.

i think that may be the difference between what hagainps suggested and what you want to do. But I'm not an expert in this.

I'm far from the most tech savvy as well, but I thought I'd try out my theory at home on my home WIFI network. First, I put my phone in airplane mode and connected it to WIFI. Then I opened the FoxFi app and click WiFi Direct Hotspot. I disconnected my tablet from the home WIFI and connected it to the phone hotspot network, entered the password and :D it worked!!!! I did have to download PdaNet+ free to work with the FoxFi on my tablet, but I successfully received and sent emails from the tablet. That is totally awesome, now the free minutes from Captains Club status will go much further since DH and I can have two devices on at once! Brilliant. Thanks for the idea.

Is Foxfi an Android AP? I cannot find it for an IPhone. Is there an IPhone AP that does the same function.

The Personal Hotspot does not work with just WiFi.

Yes, it's for Android, not IPhone. It was a free (limited use) app and I paid $7.99 (I think) about 5 years ago to upgrade it to unlimited used (one time charge).

Sorry, I don't know of any app similar for IPhone since I'm a Android user.

Each Elite member of Captains Club (diamond on Royal) gets a choice of 90 free minutes or 30% discount. That 30% is not available on the already discounted pre-cruise sale price, but on the on board price which is at least 10% higher.

I purchased internet for 2 cruises we took earlier this year and got the Elite+ discount off the price in the Cruise Planner is 10% lower than the price on the ship. In order to get the discount you have to call the Captains Club to purchase so they can apply the discount.

Now if there is a sale that offers a discount, eg 20% off internet or beverage package then you can't get the Elite discount off of the sale price.