Conquest Review -- 6 day/March/Nassau-HMC-GTurk-Amber Cove

brookeq

Day 3 - -Half Moon Cay

After a bumpy night I was up early. I was very excited to hopefully get to Half Moon Cay. I have seen so many great photos of this place. I have been wanting to come here for awhile now.

I made my husband get up early and we headed to the breakfast buffet. We both got omelets and some bacon. People always ask so I am going to add that the bacon was behind the glass and served to you. You did not get to serve yourself. Our omelets and bacon were good. I also had a sticky bun that was pretty good.

Half Moon Cay is a tender port so we had to go to the Alchemy Bar to get our tender number. We went right when they said you could. There was no line. We got a sticker for tender #1

24gt005.jpg[/img]

We waited for the announcement to come down stairs. They ended up calling tenders 1-8 so it didn’t really matter that we had number 1. They also announced that all excursions/tours were cancelled for the day. L I am assuming the water was too choppy for most excursions. We were also told later when we went to see if you could rent anything, that the workers for the rentals were unable to make it to the island that day??

So anyways, We headed down and were next in line to board the 2nd tender. It was rocking a bit and the gangway fell off and wasn’t completely secure when someone was getting on! The workers were ready and held it up and got her off with no problem. But man when it was my turn I sprinted across.

They pack these first boats pretty full. We were one of the last ones on and had to squeeze in. Our boat ended up being a glass bottom boat which was fun. We didn’t see anything but you could see it was not too deep. The ride was fine. It didn’t seem to bumpy or anything once we started going.

Here is a shot of the island from one of the tops decks:

5phro0.jpg[/img]

We finally made it to the island. It was partly cloudy and there was a good breeze going on. The water wasn’t calm but certainly not rough.

Edited by brookeq
spacing

I made my husband hurry off the boat and head to find some front row loungers down a bit. I wanted to get some pictures without anyone else in the background.

34ytuz8.jpg[/img]

And that was what we did as soon as we put our stuff down J

33krbx3.jpg[/img]

This place was beautiful. The sand was soft and the water was so clear. The water was a bit chilly but nothing too bad once you got used to it.

290x4ar.jpg[/img]

Here is a panormic picture my husband tried to take

2lna1at.jpg[/img]

Edited by brookeq
spacing

We decided to try to snorkel a bit before there were a ton of people in the water.

v63yqd.jpg[/img]

From everything I read here you should snorkel over by the rocks near the private oasis (the big private cabana type place you can rent on the water). We headed over there. We saw some fish but there wasn’t much to see.

123tw9h.jpg[/img]

Later some people brought some bread from the buffet and they got some fish to come up to them. Just these clear ones though.

2zs1emt.jpg[/img]

We took some pictures of us in the water.

a425co.jpg[/img]

We brought our own noodles and a small tube. They don’t take up any space/weight in our suitcase. So we were able to go out pretty far without getting tired. There weren't many people out too far.

When we got out of the water it was a bit cold since the sun wasn’t staying out for long periods of time. Once I dried off a bit I was fine. But when I was wet I did feel cold.

We took a walk to warm up. We walked to the pirate ship bar and then went off the beach to checkout what else was here.

2yoa6xd.jpg[/img]

Edited by brookeq
spacing

We took some pictures of us in the water.

a425co.jpg[/img]

We brought our own noodles and a small tube. They don’t take up any space/weight in our suitcase. So we were able to go out pretty far without getting tired. There weren't many people out too far.

When we got out of the water it was a bit cold since the sun wasn’t staying out for long periods of time. Once I dried off a bit I was fine. But when I was wet I did feel cold.

We took a walk to warm up. We walked to the pirate ship bar and then went off the beach to checkout what else was here.

2yoa6xd.jpg[/img]

What was the air temperature? Not sure if I missed it in your post...sorry if I did

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What was the air temperature? Not sure if I missed it in your post...sorry if I did

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it was mid 70's. When the sun was out it was great. But it was often behind the clouds. I was only cool when I was soaking wet. Most of the time I was warm.

We walked the tram path and saw where the sting ray area was. Some of the rays were huge. The water was shallow but it did look rough so I guess I can see why it was cancelled.

epoow.jpg[/img]

We walked a bit more and saw the jet skis and other things for rentals or excursions. Along the path you can see the water.

x4g4gh.jpg[/img]

We walked a bit more and then switched to the nature trail which lead us back to the main area.

We later talked to a couple who said they rode the tram to the end and they did see all of the horses that you can usually ride on the beach. There were also chickens roaming around the island.

6i7if8.jpg[/img]

Sincewe were in the main area we decided to check out lunch.

Edited by brookeq
spacing

Here is the menu.

2zp09xi.jpg[/img]

I did take some pictures but I don’t like to be obvious andhold up the line. So they are superquick snapshots while I am pushing my plate along.

Here are some of the sides.

14r9tc.jpg[/img]

I had some of the potato salad, the beans with shrimp, andfried rice. All were pretty good. My husband had the couscous and some chipsand salsa. I wish they had chips on theship with the tacos.

21lsobo.jpg[/img]

There was also fruit

33tla9w.jpg[/img]

We both had some of the jerk chicken and I had aburger. It was ok. I don't have any pictures.

There was a selection of desserts. I enjoyed a brownie.

For drinks there was water and lemonade. There may have been iced tea but I can't remember.

After lunch we got back in the water again. It was a bit warmer now.

Here is a photo we took later in the day that shows that more people were in the water. Get here early and enjoy its beauty J

n49ixk.jpg[/img]

Actually it never felt crowded here at all. Lunch lines weren't long and there were plenty of spaces to sit. The beach area never felt overly crowded.

The rest of the day we just sat in our chairs and enjoyed it when the sun came out. I read my book and took a nap :)

Edited by brookeq
spacing

Some time around 3 I think we decided we would head back.

We passed the splash pad area. I think our kids would have liked this.

9h5ooi.jpg[/img]

Everyone else must have had the same idea. We all packed in the next tender and were back to the ship.

My opinion on Half Moon Cay…it was beautiful. We have been to NCL and Disney’s private islands and this was the nicest. (Disney's Castaway cay is very nice too and has tons to do. This is just more natural). This is one of the nicest beaches we have been too. I would love to go back one day.

301nhi9.jpg[/img]

Edited by brookeq
spacing

Love reading your review. We are on our first cruise NEXT WEEK I can’t believe it I’m beyond excited( taking the kids though ) but wow kid free time is precious. I’m already planting the seed for my 40th in a few years time!! I have a feeling I am going to become addicted to cruising

Our granddaughter loves cruising and Camp Ocean. Get them signed up first night and then decide what works for your family. Usually she was with us during the day for the pool but loved the after dinner activities.

Our granddaughter loves cruising and Camp Ocean. Get them signed up first night and then decide what works for your family. Usually she was with us during the day for the pool but loved the after dinner activities.

I agree. Get signed up and then get the schedule. I would go over the activities with the kids and we would see if anything interested them. I grabbed a copy of the kids club schedules and will post them at some point.

They also do a small build a bear session on board. I don't know the cost of it now but a couple years ago it was $20 I think. You pick out your bear and get to stuff it and put the heart in it. they give you a carnival outfit for free.

Husband wanted to have his “pre-dinner” meal. We split some tacos and pizza and also found some chocolate cake balls that were pretty good. We don’t usually like the desserts on the lido so we are always happy when we find something we tasty.

2udvl1d.jpg[/img]

We checked out the serenity area but all the clam shellswere taken. We did find loungers but itwas really windy.

Later we showered and wandered the ship. It was getting rocky. I actually started to feel a bit queasy. We stopped at one of the bars and got some ginger ale. Again I hate the cans. They are so warm and when you pour it on the ice it loses the carbonation which is what my stomach needed. We sat with the ginger ale and listened to the singers.

Eventually we headed to the dining room.

My husband the egg rolls (he said just ok) and the seared tuna (he liked this). I had the potato soup which I really enjoyed.

4ujvip.jpg[/img]

For main course I had the veal and my husband had the tilapia.

avj1qa.jpg[/img]

21eugqe.jpg[/img]

Dessert I tried the chocolate tres leches cake. It was ok.

dcd65y.jpg[/img]

My husband had the apple pie. He also said it was just ok.

swabl1.jpg[/img]

The plan was to see Flik that night. I have heard good things about it. Our last two cruises we didn’t really enjoyany of the productions shows. Which isn’ta big deal since there is so much other things to do.

Before dinner, Chloe the cruise director first announced that due to rough seas they were going to switch productions and do the 80’s show tonight and Flik would be another night. Eventually she got and announced that due to safety they were now only doing the singing of Flik. No effects or anything. Since I wasn’t feeling well I decided to head to bed. My husband went up to see if he could watch Thor by the pool but quickly came back.

Next up -- Grand Turk

Edited by brookeq
spacing

Thanks for the review! I've done this itinerary before and really loved it...although we missed HMC. (I'm only 2-for-5 in making it there. :( )

It must have been super windy on your HMC day if the winds were strong in the Serenity area while the ship was anchored. :o

We did this same cruise just 2 weeks before you. We had a blast! We loved the Conquest. We had an interior cabin on the 7th deck (#7335). Great location. My Guy was infatuated with Chloe. She sure is a great Cruise Director. Very outgoing and energetic. She definitely picked the right line of work, for her personality. Amber Cove was also in our itinerary...(sorry, I don't recall if you said it was in yours?) We had a great time on the water slides there! Your trip report sounds so much like ours, it's fun to reminisce. We also walked to Junkanoo, in Nassau. We docked at the space beside where you did. The NCL Breakaway (or Getaway, can't remember) was docked in the space you were. HMC was amazing for us, too. In Grand Turk, we walked down the beach to Jack's Shack and hugged Topher the Dog (highlight of my trip, as I was missing my dog!) Can't wait to read the rest of your report. Your pics are great, also!

Grand Turk

I was up early due to our cabin being very loud. The engine was really going all night and things were rattling. I was feeling better so I headed up to the jogging track. All of the banisters were covered in salt. J And the aft pool had its cover over it. I also went to the gym for a bit. It was busy again.

We decided to have breakfast in the dining room today. They have a new menu.

2dlucs6.jpg[/img]

They asked if you wanted to be seated alone or with others. We chose to sit with others. We sat with nice families from Ohio and California. We always enjoy meetingpeople on cruises.

A server brings around a basket of pastries and you can choose one. They don’t leave the basket on the table anymore. I ordered the broken egg sandwich. It was good. My husband had the granola and the vanilla french toast. I tried the french toast and it was tasty. Our service wasn’t the best. It was extremely slow, but luckily we weren’t in any hurry. Our table mate didn’t get her tea until she was almost done eating. While we were finishing eating it was announced that we arrived early and we cleared to get off. We were the 2nd ship in that day.

We had been to Grand Turk in February 2016 before the hurricane. We had our kids with us and we just walked off the ship and enjoyed the beach right there. We enjoyed our day. This time we decided to rent a scooter and go see the island ourselves. We rented thru Grand Turk Adventures and were in contact with Omar before our trip. We put a deposit down before we left and would pay the rest when we arrived.

I noticed right away the beach area seemed different. On our last cruise there were chair severywhere for you to sit but they seemed a bit more spaced out. And none of them had umbrellas but there was plenty of shade from the palm trees. And you could rent a clam shell or umbrella if you wanted. Here is a picture from that trip

6jiwxz.jpg[/img]

This trip it seemed like the beach was more crowded with so many chairs and each one had an umbrella. It looked a bit claustrophobic to me. All of those umbrellas, if you aren’t In the front you, you couldn’t see anything. I remember we were in the last row last trip and could still see our kids.

2qk55ki.jpg[/img]

Ok I am rambling a bit. We headed past the beach area and past Margaritaville. Here is a quick shot of the pool if you never saw it.

345er1j.jpg[/img]

We had to walk thru the parking lot and out the main gate. There were a couple of rental companies just sitting out there. We found ours. We had our paper work ready to pick up our scooter. They offered us a quad instead. I was ok with that. It would be easier to ride together. I am not sure if they sold our scooter or if something happened to it. But I didn’t really ask. If it was important to me Iwould have. But I was happy with the upgrade (it was more expensive on the website but we just paid the price of the scooter $60). Not sure what would have happened if I pushed that I wanted a scooter. There were two just sitting across the street…

They showed us how to use the ATV and we were off. We chose to rent here because this island isn’t that busy so we felt safe driving around. There were never very many cars on the road and they safely passed when needed. There aren’t that many roads on this island. We had a map but just an FYI if you do ever rent a vehicle here there are no signs for roads,attractions, or anything.

Here is a photo of my husband in the ridiculous helmet they gave us. We were cracking up

244cmeq.jpg[/img]