Conquest Review -- 6 day/March/Nassau-HMC-GTurk-Amber Cove

brookeq

We decided to head to the lighthouse since it was furthest away. You basically just follow the main road all the way there. It was a couple bucks to get. I noticed a sign for Chukka tours. They even had their company name on the official sign at the lighthouse???? It looks like they do horseback riding tours and zip line tours right there.

f9qxio.jpg[/img]

We paid a couple bucks to get in and walk around. There isn’t much there. A few signs to read. You can’t go in the lighthouse. We took a picture.

9qlgk5.jpg[/img]

We walked to check out the view of the ocean.

2lihppv.jpg[/img]

You will see that the ocean was rough today. It was like this everywhere not just here.

2jbcxl.jpg[/img]

The parking lot was full of donkeys. We would see them wandering around everywhere.

2qxxlqe.jpg[/img]

Edited by brookeq
spacing

The parking lot was full of donkeys. We would see them wandering around everywhere.

We usually go up to the light house as well just to people watch. One thing I will warn others who may do this based on your review. DO NOT FEED THE DONKEYS, THEY WILL BITE. I am shocked more people don't know this but I always try to warn people. On our last trip to GT a lady tried to feed the donkey and he bit off her finger. She had to go to the hospital there in GT. I am not talking about nipping her finger or scratching it either. He bit it off. She was in our roll call, it was a crazy situation.

We decided to head to the pillroy beach area next. We hopped back on the ATV and I got to drive this time. I am sure my husband loved that, especially wearing his white helmet. Ha ha.

2dbkqwn.jpg[/img]

Like I said the roads are not clearly marked and we had this tiny little map. We ended up at the Bohio Dive Resort. We got out and walked to check it out. The water was going pretty good. There were people swimming at the resort.

tysyw.jpg[/img]

We contemplated driving up to Pillroy beach. My sister in law was there on our last cruise and they found lots of sand dollars. But it didn’t look like that would happen today. We decided to explore some more. On our way out we found this…

16abci9.jpg[/img]

Edited by brookeq
spacing

We usually go up to the light house as well just to people watch. One thing I will warn others who may do this based on your review. DO NOT FEED THE DONKEYS, THEY WILL BITE. I am shocked more people don't know this but I always try to warn people. On our last trip to GT a lady tried to feed the donkey and he bit off her finger. She had to go to the hospital there in GT. I am not talking about nipping her finger or scratching it either. He bit it off. She was in our roll call, it was a crazy situation.

I agree. I had read about the donkeys ahead of time. We didn't really go near them. The one in this picture kept following my husband.

We saw people going up to them to get pictures. they were putting their arms on them and petting them. Some near the face. I told my husband that it wasn't very smart.

Next we decided to head to Cockburn town. We found it easily and parked our ride. The little town is right along the ocean/beach.

wv47xv.jpg[/img]

We walked thru the shops. I found my mom a thimble (she collects them).

5kluzr.jpg[/img]

We decidedto grab something to eat. I rememberedreading about John’s Ocean View Bar and Grill. They were closed after the hurricane and just re-opened.

2rwmcn7.jpg[/img]

We decided to try some conch fritters. I never had them before. This plate was just a couple of dollars. I think maybe $4 They were good.

2pqvvph.jpg[/img]

Edited by brookeq
spacing

We got back on the ATV and drove around some more. It was so much fun just driving around.

We eventually decided to stop at Governors Beach. There were no signs but we were able to find it. There was small family there when we got there but they were packing up. So we had it to ourselves for awhile. We debating getting in. It was choppy. We decided to just sit and enjoy the area and get our feet wet. If we wanted to swim we would do it after we returned the ATV in the cruise port. It was calmer there.

2dvvj2r.jpg[/img]

You can see the ships from here. You could walk to here if you wanted to I guess. But they don’t let you walk over or under a bridge down closer to the ships so you would have to leave the beach area and walk the road a bit.

There are no facilities here. Just beach. It was nice.

We relaxed a bit. Eventually we ran into a nice Canadian couple walking back to the ship. We talked awhile. They ran into a woman that had been on the island for two weeks. She said this was the only day she saw the water like this L

Eventually we headed back to the ship area. We were going to see if we could drive the ATV to the Boaby Rocky Point area but we couldn’t. So we returned our ATV and headed into the cruise ship area.

We walked the conch shell graveyard but didn’t find anything too great. We have a few shells at home so no big deal. I always like to walkover here and get nice pictures of the beach and ship.

52cduw.jpg[/img]

We did get to Boaby Point. We had read that you could snorkel here but it didn’t look promising today. Sadly this part of the island was a bit dirty. No snorkeling this trip.

We walked back to the main beach area and decided to swim a bit. It was much calmer than anywhere else we had been that day. The water was refreshing.

2yuxc49.jpg[/img]

We saw the same clear fish that we did at Half Moon Cay.

10e070x.jpg[/img]

Overall we enjoyed our day at Grand Turk. We didn't spend much time in the ocean like we thought, but we still had a great day. It was nice to get out of the port area and see the island. Everyone we ran into was nice and friendly. We felt safe the entire time. Food and drinks were priced good. Oh I forgot to add when we put a bit of gas in the tank before returning the ATV, gas is $6 a gallon!

After our swim we decided to head back to the ship. We headed up to the Aft pool area. We got some food. I tried the meatball sandwich from the deli. It was good. They put huge cloves of garlic on it. I don’t like that so I had to pick them off. But other than that I enjoyed it. It was another big sandwich.

14aynwy.jpg[/img]

My husband decided he wanted sushi. Here is the menu

2rwalcl.jpg[/img]

He ordered the bang bang roll. He enjoyed it. He said it was worth it. It was huge too!

25umbli.jpg[/img]

Here is a menu for the Sea Food Shack. We didn’t get anything there.

1zmcwt0.jpg[/img]

and pizza too.

muh0cw.jpg[/img]

Edited by brookeq
spacing

After eating we got some ice cream and sat by the aft pool. I read my book.

jg0ebr.jpg[/img]

r1frd5.jpg[/img]

There was a wedding party that came thru and went up a deck to get some pictures. We all cheered for them.

eq5h8o.jpg[/img]

I tried the hot tub again but it was still crazy

Eventually we showered and walked around. We decided to play mini golf. It’s a cute little course. One hole was pretty tough.

34g3gd2.jpg[/img]

We visited the Alchemy bar today. I tried the deal closer. Absolut Vanilla Vodka, Disaronno Amaretto,Irish Cream and chocolate liqueur.

nzes8o.jpg[/img]

I would have liked to spend more time here and try a few more drinks. But since I didn’t feel great a couple nights it didn’t happen. Next cruise!

Here are the dinner menus for this night.

e83fk1.jpg[/img]

For appetizers we each got the peach soup and Caesar salads. Yum

1ibp08.jpg[/img]

I had the fried chicken and enjoyed it. My husband didn’t see anything he wanted and got the swordfish.

14lpitu.jpg[/img]

For dessert we decided to each try something but ordered a chocolate melting cake to split just in case.

Husband had the smores parfait.

110gj1f.jpg[/img]

It was ok. I got the bitter and blanc. It was also ok. I think I like it without the sauce.

b6ppug.jpg[/img]

We sat and watched some performer a bit and then just headed to bed. It was not rocky this night and so our room was quiet. We took advantage and caught up on some sleep.

I have few questions for you. First one, which company did you use for scooter/ATVs? Do they have email or website?

I know you said you bought some sort of gorilla tri pod for this trip. Is that how you were able to do the pictures of you and your hubby without doing selfies?

There were a couple of rental companies just sitting out there. We found ours. We had our paper work ready to pick up our scooter. They offered us a quad instead. I was ok with that. It would be easier to ride together. I am not sure if they sold our scooter or if something happened to it. But I didn’t really ask. If it was important to me Iwould have. But I was happy with the upgrade (it was more expensive on the website but we just paid the price of the scooter $60). Not sure what would have happened if I pushed that I wanted a scooter. There were two just sitting across the street…

Hi all!

brookeq ~ loving your review which is bringing back nice memories of my Conquest cruise in Oct.

I loved that big sunflower outside the MDR & thought Chloe a terrific CD.

Our cruise was lucky enough to go to HMC without problems but I have missed the Disney & RCL private islands both, on a BTB cruise. I also missed the NCL one but if you think HMC is the most beautiful then I'm glad I've been there twice, once 14 years ago so noticed a lot of changes!

~ Jo ~ :)

I have few questions for you. First one, which company did you use for scooter/ATVs? Do they have email or website?

I know you said you bought some sort of gorilla tri pod for this trip. Is that how you were able to do the pictures of you and your hubby without doing selfies?

There were a couple of rental companies just sitting out there. We found ours. We had our paper work ready to pick up our scooter. They offered us a quad instead. I was ok with that. It would be easier to ride together. I am not sure if they sold our scooter or if something happened to it. But I didn’t really ask. If it was important to me Iwould have. But I was happy with the upgrade (it was more expensive on the website but we just paid the price of the scooter $60). Not sure what would have happened if I pushed that I wanted a scooter. There were two just sitting across the street…

We rented thru Grand Turk Adventures. I read the message boards here and it seemed like every company got mixed reviews. But this one had all positives. They had good reviews on trip advisor too.

http://grandturkadventures.com/

We bought a small tripod like this one. We did have to buy a small attachment for our iphone. The attachment works with oru regular tripod also.

https://joby.com/gorillapod-tripods

This one was much easier to carry around then our big regular one. We just bent the legs and attached/wrapped it anything in site. I don't know why we never bought one earlier. We were able to get so many pictures together. I just didn't post all of them :)

Thank you. I appreciate you responding back. It looks like you had a good time. We were on the Conquest Christmas 2016 and really enjoyed the ship.

We rented thru Grand Turk Adventures. I read the message boards here and it seemed like every company got mixed reviews. But this one had all positives. They had good reviews on trip advisor too.

http://grandturkadventures.com/

We bought a small tripod like this one. We did have to buy a small attachment for our iphone. The attachment works with oru regular tripod also.

https://joby.com/gorillapod-tripods

This one was much easier to carry around then our big regular one. We just bent the legs and attached/wrapped it anything in site. I don't know why we never bought one earlier. We were able to get so many pictures together. I just didn't post all of them :)

After eating we got some ice cream and sat by the aft pool. I read my book.

jg0ebr.jpg[/img]

r1frd5.jpg[/img]

There was a wedding party that came thru and went up a deck to get some pictures. We all cheered for them.

eq5h8o.jpg[/img]

I tried the hot tub again but it was still crazy

Eventually we showered and walked around. We decided to play mini golf. It’s a cute little course. One hole was pretty tough.

34g3gd2.jpg[/img]

We visited the Alchemy bar today. I tried the deal closer. Absolut Vanilla Vodka, Disaronno Amaretto,Irish Cream and chocolate liqueur.

nzes8o.jpg[/img]

I would have liked to spend more time here and try a few more drinks. But since I didn’t feel great a couple nights it didn’t happen. Next cruise!

Alchemy Bar is one of my favourite bar in all the cruise lines we have done.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

and pizza too.

muh0cw.jpg

Aha! It looks like Conquest still has the Pizza Pirate "Plus" menu....probably the same hours as when we were onboard, 11pm til 1 or 2 am.

Did you ever go to the pizza place late at night? The late-night lasagna was to die for two years ago, and the meatball subs, chicken parm and sausage-and-pepper hoagies were really good, too.

After our swim we decided to head back to the ship. We headed up to the Aft pool area. We got some food. I tried the meatball sandwich from the deli. It was good. They put huge cloves of garlic on it. I don’t like that so I had to pick them off. But other than that I enjoyed it. It was another big sandwich.

14aynwy.jpg[/img]

My husband decided he wanted sushi. Here is the menu

2rwalcl.jpg[/img]

He ordered the bang bang roll. He enjoyed it. He said it was worth it. It was huge too!

25umbli.jpg[/img]

Here is a menu for the Sea Food Shack. We didn’t get anything there.

1zmcwt0.jpg[/img]

and pizza too.

muh0cw.jpg[/img]

I noticed the sushi and seafood shack have prices up so are they extra cost if you choose to eat here? Sorry newbie cruising in under a week

I noticed the sushi and seafood shack have prices up so are they extra cost if you choose to eat here? Sorry newbie cruising in under a week

Yes. They cost extra. But the prices were reasonable.

Aha! It looks like Conquest still has the Pizza Pirate "Plus" menu....probably the same hours as when we were onboard, 11pm til 1 or 2 am.

Did you ever go to the pizza place late at night? The late-night lasagna was to die for two years ago, and the meatball subs, chicken parm and sausage-and-pepper hoagies were really good, too.

We didn't on this cruise since we had late dining. Last cruise we had early dining on the breeze and my husband went to the pizza place every night for a "snack". Will have to try this out next time.

Day 5 -- Amber Cove

Today was our day at Amber Cove. We booked this cruise for 2 reasons – 1. We wanted to go to Half Moon Cay and 2. To do the 27 Waterfalls of Damajagua. One of our hobbies is to hike to waterfalls. We have been to over 200 waterfalls. So this looked like it would be a great choice for us.

I looked into the cruise excursion for this but it only went to 7-8 falls and wasn’t cheap. I found 2 tour companies that would take you to more falls. I also read about taking a taxi there on your own. I maybe would have done that if we were with some friends but my husband said to book a tour. I ended up choosing Iguana Mama. It was $89 and included all the falls and lunch. They also offered a refund if the ship did not make it.

More on the falls in a bit.

We were up early and headed to get some breakfast. I got the breakfast burrito from Blue Iguana Cantina.

ofc7s7.jpg[/img]

It was yummy. Husband got an omelet. I also forgot to mention that we enjoy the juice in the morning.

23mak47.jpg[/img]

We enjoy the orange passion fruit guava drink. We don't really drink juice at home so this was a nice treat in the mornings.

We were off the boat pretty quickly after breakfast. Our tour was to leave an hour after the boat docks.

5n0hsk.jpg[/img]

We always laugh at some of the cheesy pictures they want to take...

1y1xti.jpg[/img]

Here is a picture of the port area.

nohqtl.jpg[/img]

You can see the on the water cabanas and a bit of the pool area.

We had to walk thru the area out the main gates. Iguana Mama was waiting outside with a sign. Everything was very organized and we got to sit in their nice air conditioned bus/van while we waited for everyone. I should have taken a picture of it. It was clean and seemed pretty new. Here is = a shot of a seat that I have on my phone for some reason. Ha ha.

168ipf7.jpg[/img]

Once we had everyone from our tour we were off.

Edited by brookeq
spacing

Day 5 -- Amber Cove

Today was our day at Amber Cove. We booked this cruise for 2 reasons – 1. We wanted to go to Half Moon Cay and 2. To do the 27 Waterfalls of Damajagua. One of our hobbies is to hike to waterfalls. We have been to over 200 waterfalls. So this looked like it would be a great choice for us.

I looked into the cruise excursion for this but it only went to 7-8 falls and wasn’t cheap. I found 2 tour companies that would take you to more falls. I also read about taking a taxi there on your own. I maybe would have done that if we were with some friends but my husband said to book a tour. I ended up choosing Iguana Mama. It was $89 and included all the falls and lunch. They also offered a refund if the ship did not make it.

More on the falls in a bit.

Looking forward to seeing the falls. I'm in Central PA and I've seen maps/brochures in some of the tourist centers for self-guided day trips of PA waterfalls. You probably have already done them, but thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

Looking forward to seeing the falls. I'm in Central PA and I've seen maps/brochures in some of the tourist centers for self-guided day trips of PA waterfalls. You probably have already done them, but thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

Was it for Rickett's Glen? That is a nice hike we did with the kids. You hike down the gorge and circle out. You can see up to 24 waterfalls I think. We loved it there :)