SoCal to Ensenada - Passport needed?

pseudoware

Yes. As long as the ship sails out of the country, you need either a passport or birth certificate & photo id.

Carnival sails out of Long Beach, not San Pedro.

Your "yes" is inaccurate because as you said you need either the passport or a birth certificate with government issue photo ID. So the answer to the OP's question is "no", you do not need a passport but you would need one of the alternatives (other alternatives are a passport card or an enhanced drivers license). Note that US citizens born abroad would need a naturalization certificate or a consular report of birth abroad.

This is from Carnivals website:

Also acceptable for cruise travel (for cruises that begin and end in a U.S port),**U.S. citizens can show proof of citizenship, such as a*birth certificate* issued by a government agency and accompanied by a government-issued*photo I.D.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

Since Ensenada doesn't have an international airport you don't need to worry about flying back and it is faster to drive, anyway. No passport needed.

To drive across the border you’d need a, at the minimum, a Passport Card. Just a BC is no longer acceptable.

To drive across the border you’d need a, at the minimum, a Passport Card. Just a BC is no longer acceptable.

Maybe things are different on the southern border but up here if someone shows up at the port of entry with anything less than what is required they are sent to secondary inspection until their citizenship can be confirmed. It happens a couple of times a year when someone goes north and loses their ID somehow.

Thanks for the replies. I will use my California driver's license. Regarding my BC, is a copy sufficient, or does it have to be the original?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

No it can't be a copy machine copy. It has to be a certified original copy with the raised seal issued from a government agency.

Angela

No it can't be a copy machine copy. It has to be a certified original copy with the raised seal issued from a government agency.

Angela

This is incorrect. According to the DHS regulations an original or copy may be used and CCL's FAQ supports this. While an original birth certificate is preferred (this is the one you receive from the issuing authority, which is a certified copy of the original which is on file and will never leave the issuing authorities office), a plain photocopy is acceptable (I know because this is what I presented when I first sailed on CCL Pride). Additionally many jurisdictions have moved beyond raised seals.