Gala Nights...how are they different?

pugmadkate

Taking our first ever cruise! We’re going to Alaska for a week in June 2018. Can’t wait!

From what I understand, dinner in the main dining room means no jeans, sneakers or t-shirts. So, nice pants, dress shirt or dress.

What differentiates Gala Night from the other nights? Do people wear black-tie? Goodness, I hope not! Any info is much appreciated!

There really is no significant difference as there is virtually no dress code other than no jeans and tee shirts in the dining room in the evening, whether "gala" night or not. "Gala Night" is just when it is suggested that people might want to dress up a bit (but don't have to) and have pictures taken.

I'm inclined to think the purpose is more to generate revenues from photos than anything else.

• Haha 1

Taking our first ever cruise! We’re going to Alaska for a week in June 2018. Can’t wait!

From what I understand, dinner in the main dining room means no jeans, sneakers or t-shirts. So, nice pants, dress shirt or dress.

What differentiates Gala Night from the other nights? Do people wear black-tie? Goodness, I hope not! Any info is much appreciated!

According to HAL's FAQ on dress codes, "Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants." On my Alaska cruise last September (also my first ever cruise!), Gala night dress was maybe a step "up" from regular night dining. I saw everything from nice slacks/shirts to tuxes for men; nice slacks/tops to floor-length gowns for women. I'd say that it was skewed toward the less formal -- only saw a few instances of tuxes/gowns. Lots of jackets, but nothing really too fancy. Women were mostly nice slacks or slightly dressier dresses. And for Alaska, I'm told, things tend to be a little less formal, so there's that.

Think "dining in a nice restaurant for a special occasion" and you should be fine.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

Jeans (non-distressed) and sneakers are indeed not forbidden in the MDR. Sneakers are not forbidden even on Gala Nights. Current fashion accepts sneakers with suits and many with distressed feet are supposed to wear sneakers.

Collared shirts and slacks for Gala Nights are the minimum requirement. In my recent cruises, I have observed no more than 20 tuxedos on Gala Nights during my seating. The rest of the diners are equally divided between collared shirts and suits/jackets.

On my 14 Alaska cruises, I have noticed many sweatshirts, jeans, and flannel shirts in the MDR.

Dress in whatever makes you feel comfortable. Since you will probably never see your fellow passengers again, there is no need to "dress to impress".

The only difference to me is that the menus are in fact the worst of the cruise for some bizarre reason...unless you think that overcooked Warm water langouste or surf and turf is fine dining...

Alaskan cruises are even less dressier than Europe, etc.

We have seen very men wearing a tuxedo on Alaskan cruises. Even on our 21 day repositioning cruises, again very few tuxedos.

We have seen people wearing nice, clean jeans in the main dining room and specialty restaurants on Gala nights. Slacks and a collared shirt works fine for all nights for the men. Ladies wear slacks, tops or dresses.

Jeans (non-distressed) and sneakers are indeed not forbidden in the MDR. Sneakers are not forbidden even on Gala Nights. Current fashion accepts sneakers with suits and many with distressed feet are supposed to wear sneakers.

Collared shirts and slacks for Gala Nights are the minimum requirement. In my recent cruises, I have observed no more than 20 tuxedos on Gala Nights during my seating. The rest of the diners are equally divided between collared shirts and suits/jackets.

On my 14 Alaska cruises, I have noticed many sweatshirts, jeans, and flannel shirts in the MDR.

Dress in whatever makes you feel comfortable. Since you will probably never see your fellow passengers again, there is no need to "dress to impress".

AMEN to this!

The last HAL cruise we went on , a gentleman wore a tuxedo on the 2 gala nights. He was close to 90 years "young". I could count tuxedos with one hand. His wife wore a long gown. ditto with long gowns.

People on my Alaska cruise (Princess) were dressed very casually. Id say "business casual" in the dining room, even on gala night. I don't remember anyone in tuxedos. I think Alaska cruises tend to be a bit more casual.

The only difference to me is that the menus are in fact the worst of the cruise for some bizarre reason...unless you think that overcooked Warm water langouste or surf and turf is fine dining...

I have to agree. I have ALWAYS been disappointed with the menu choices on gala nights. Hoping I can convince my mother to try Pinnacle and/or Canaletto on those nights.

Since it would be very unlikely I would order either, it would be great to hear which specific dishes disappointed those folks who were disappointed with their Gala night menu offerings. I would especially be interested in detailed reviews of the vegetarian offerings.

According to HAL's FAQ on dress codes, "Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants."

For some of us this is almost humorous! Pictures abound of backyard BBQs in the 40s and 50s where the guys are wearing collared shirts and slacks! I vididly remember my mom (and all ladies) dressing up, with hats, to go to town. The current state of affairs on "gala nights" certainly does not evoke the grand traditions of cruising. But, this is the world we live in now.

• Like 1

Like a formal night....except no dress code or different menu. So - what exactly is it?

Unless things have changed recently, the menu for Gala Nights is indeed different... it is much more limited than the regular night menus. Far fewer choices, and IIRC, the 'always available' items are missing as well.

These nights are really not very special anymore, at all.

But, this is the world we live in now.

It certainly is. Just off a very short 7-day cruise on the Eurodam in the Caribbean and saw it all ... Torn (and I do mean torn, not distressed at the factory) jeans and a t-shirt in the MDR on Gala night more than once, baseball caps in MDR at night, people receiving medallions at the Mariners' Reception dressed in shorts and flip flops (they obviously did not read the invitation stating smart casual dress) and, my favourite, bathrobes at the SeaView pool.

It certainly is. Just off a very short 7-day cruise on the Eurodam in the Caribbean and saw it all ... Torn (and I do mean torn, not distressed at the factory) jeans and a t-shirt in the MDR on Gala night more than once, baseball caps in MDR at night, people receiving medallions at the Mariners' Reception dressed in shorts and flip flops (they obviously did not read the invitation stating smart casual dress) and, my favourite, bathrobes at the SeaView pool.

Interesting how the one "dress choice" which seems to be the most disturbing to people is bathrobes around the pool or on the way to the spa - in an age when torn jeans, tee shirts and backwards baseball caps in the main dining room are generally applauded as liberation from old fashioned constraints.

Unless things have changed recently, the menu for Gala Nights is indeed different... it is much more limited than the regular night menus. Far fewer choices, and IIRC, the 'always available' items are missing as well.

The menu is more limited, but I'm told at least some of the "always available" items can be ordered. DH didn't like any of the desserts--his dessert is always ice cream or sorbet--and he was able to get ice cream for dessert on Gala Night.

What I find funny about Gala Nights is the "dress to impress" statement and the description that follows it. Sorry, but I'm not impressed by dockers and a polo shirt. It's like "evening chic" on another line, where they say "wear your flirty sundress." Maybe it's the HAL demographic, but among the dresses in my closet there is not a single "flirty sundress." :rolleyes:

On our September 2017 Zuiderdam sailing there was indeed a "narrower" menu - but the usual "always available" we're, in fact, available.

It's like "evening chic" on another line, where they say "wear your flirty sundress." Maybe it's the HAL demographic, but among the dresses in my closet there is not a single "flirty sundress." :rolleyes:

I agree, my "flirty sundress" days, along with my "hot pants, mini skirt and halter top" days are long gone!!!

Interesting how the one "dress choice" which seems to be the most disturbing to people is bathrobes around the pool or on the way to the spa - in an age when torn jeans, tee shirts and backwards baseball caps in the main dining room are generally applauded as liberation from old fashioned constraints.
Especially given that both are examples of people fixating on things that they'd be better off ignoring entirely. Gala night we'll be in dress clothes and that's all that makes or breaks the "grand tradition of cruising" for us. It is mystifying why people allow other people to define their experiences.

Incidentally, Jack Dawson was seen wearing a brown work shirt, exposed grey undershirt, and exposed tan suspenders on the promenade deck on the S. S Titanic. So people have evidently been dressing down for well over a hundred years, at least in the shiny-bright fantasized version of the "grand tradition of cruising".

Especially given that both are examples of people fixating on things that they'd be better off ignoring entirely. Gala night we'll be in dress clothes and that's all that makes or breaks the "grand tradition of cruising" for us. It is mystifying why people allow other people to define their experiences.

Incidentally, Jack Dawson was seen wearing a brown work shirt, exposed grey undershirt, and exposed tan suspenders on the promenade deck on the S. S Titanic. So people have evidently been dressing down for well over a hundred years, at least in the shiny-bright fantasized version of the "grand tradition of cruising".

You do know Jack Dawson was fake, right?

• Like 1

If bathrobes at the pool bother you I would highly recommend that you do not book into any five or six star high end spa/resorts.

Save yourself the aggro.

They do not bother me one bit; in fact, I enjoy the good laugh I get every time I see one ... even more so when one removes the robe to reveal a Speedo :-)

• Like 1

Jack Dawson was seen wearing a brown work shirt, exposed grey undershirt, and exposed tan suspenders on the promenade deck on the S. S Titanic. So people have evidently been dressing down for well over a hundred years, at least in the shiny-bright fantasized version of the "grand tradition of cruising".

Jack wasn't 'dressing down' by choice however, he was wearing clothes that he could afford to wear.