Packing list for Alaska in June?

pugmadkate

Does anyone have a packing list for an Alaskan cruise in June?

We’re going on the HA Eurodam for a week. Very first cruise ever! I’m a bit nervous about about packing and guiding the rest of my group with their packing.

Thank you!

We’re going on the HA Eurodam for a week. Very first cruise ever! I’m a bit nervous about about packing and guiding the rest of my group with their packing.

Thank you!

The weather in Alaska is very unpredictable. Days starting at 45 degrees may warm to upper 79's in May. A heavy coat will be in the way if you try to remove it during an excursion. The wind on whale watching boats is a big concern since the boats truly race to the good locations which means long jackets and may rain pants/long underwear to keep warm. For dog sledding, you will be provided parkas and boots. Aircraft are all heated.

I pack for Alaska with 3 - 4 days clothing and I use the unlimited ship laundry for $7/day (individual bags $20). Whatever you pack must be layers that can be removed during the day as temps warm and stuffed in a backpack. A down jacket may commit you to only one choice when temps warm. An outer waterproof shell jacket and a removable sweater/sweatshirt would be a better choice.

My list:

2 - UnderArmour 1.0 basic long underwear (needed for high speed catamaran whale watching and dog sledding.

1 - Columbia mid-thigh water-repellent jacket

1 - Sweatshirt, hoodie

1 - Sweater to wear with above jacket. if needed

1 - Gloves, thin to allow for camera adjustments

1 - Backpack with water bottle to receive no longer needed clothing layers while on excursions

1 - Rain poncho kept in backpack (Recommend Frogg Toggs from Walmart) that will also keep your camera dry between shots.

1 - Merrell MOAB low, waterproof, hiking shoes (any waterproof shoes will do. Leave hiking boots at home unless planning on going off trails.

3 - Cargo pants (not as heavy as jeans but lots of pockets for excursion "stuff")

3 - Long-sleeved shirts

1 - Hat, warm

1 - Scarf

1 - Umbrella

The above recommendations should keep you warm and dry with the option to remove layers when temps warm. Since Alaska is very informal, shipboard attire will be flannel shirts, sweatshirts, casual, etc. Keep in mind that you will never see any of your fellow passengers again, so no need to "dress to impress". Be comfortable and adapt to changing conditions.

Gala Nights have a minimum requirement of collared shirts and slacks for men so you can leave your formal attire at home unless you want to join about 20 other passengers that will be dressed to the maximum.

You will enjoy the Eurodam and especially the Tamarind Asian Restaurant.

Enjoy your planning and make sure you join your Roll Call.

Since you will be traveling in June, expect some very long days and some very short nights. During my Alaska cruise, temperatures were in the 60s. Plan on rain during your excursions. I would pick up some vitamin C drops, dayquil, and nuquil prior to boarding your ship for the cruise.

For the guy... Electronically oriented, reader, one pre cruise overnight,with unlimited laundry aboard ship, no rock climbing like excursions. :)

Wallet

Passports

Lanyards

Sunglasses

Spare eyeglasses

Eyeglass cleaner and cloths

Cash $50 in ones $50 in fives

Wet Ones

Binoculars

Umbrella

Duct Tape

Plastic bags

Business cards

Phone

Tablet

Reading material

WiFi hotspot for use in airports

Extension cord

Camera

AA batteries for camera

US/Euro Adapter

Power adapters

Earbuds and/or headphones

Medication

Vitamins

Wal-Zantac

Aspirin

Anti-perspirant

Toothbrush

Toothpaste

Razor

Small shaving creme

Sunscreen

Lip balm

3 shirt sleeve shirts

4 long sleeve shirts

2 t-shirts

3 pair of pants

1 pair of dress pants

1 pair of shorts

Suit

Ties

Sleepwear

4 pair underwear

3 pair crew socks

3 pair dress socks

2 belts

1 pair of sneakers

1 pair of casual shoes

1 pair of dress shoes

Gloves

Wool Hat

Earmuffs?

Rainproof Windbreaker

Fleece

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

If you look over on the Alaska board, you will see this topic discussed extensively.

The weather in Alaska is tremondously variable. So the answer is layers. And the outside layer should be water and wind proof.

I agree but only differ with Bruce on one point. When I answer this question it is always LAYERS. I cannot overemphasize that point.