Brexit 2019. Scotland's capital moves to England!!!???

procter

OK the title may be a bit dramatic.

I have just received print copy of 2019 voyages.

Page 71 has Azamara docking at Leith Scotland where Newcastle is geographically and then moving to “Newcastle on Tyne Scotland”.

Just who proof reads these things?

IF Miami is not sure then GET IN TOUCH with your local officesin that country.

I then looked on line where at least the docking order is correct but the flowery prose is a load of rubbish.

Why let London have all the fun? Visit Newcastle upon Tyne, one of the UK’s top up-and-coming hotspots. Ancient architecture, world-class dining, a rich arts and culture scene, you name it, Newcastle has got it. Browse nearly a dozen galleries and museums or take in a game of Footie. After, grab a bite to eat at one of the city's elite restaurants and hit the town to take in renowned nightlife.

Not sure on “ancient architecture” but we do have a Newcastle built in the 1100’s but some more amazing Victorian architecture in GreySt. and Grainger market as well as more modern stuff around the quayside as well as the Blinking eye bridge and the fat slug or more properly known as Sage concert Hall.

Equally unsure where you would take in a game of “footie” at lunch time on a Monday and as you will have to be on board for sailing at 6.00pm there will not be a lot of nightlife to take part in.

No mention of Durham Cathedral or early Christianity at Jarrow or trips to Roman wall country or Segedunum Angel of the North or Beamish open air living museum.

Other attractions include Alnwick castle and Gardens of Hogwarts fame or Cragside the first house in the world to be powered by hydropower and electricity.

This type of thing should be written by a local to the area.

Why not a local travel agent.

I note that later on you enthuse about the FI race inBelgium.

I hope you have sorted out ticketing arrangements for thisand it is not like the World Cup fiasco in Russia this year.

Edited by procter
spelling

This makes you wonder how accurate their descriptions are for the rest of the world. If they don’t want to commission local travel agents to write their destinations ‘blurb’ I’m sure local tourism organisations would be happy to give suggestions, check facts out etc.

Interesting that they have only fairly recently appointed a new PR/Marketing company & just appointed a new Head of Marketing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This makes you wonder how accurate their descriptions are for the rest of the world. If they don’t want to commission local travel agents to write their destinations ‘blurb’ I’m sure local tourism organisations would be happy to give suggestions, check facts out etc.

Interesting that they have only fairly recently appointed a new PR/Marketing company & just appointed a new Head of Marketing.

My own experience is this is a world wide issue. It’s like they advertise summer cruises in Norway with photos of the Northern lights at a time when cruisers will be traveling in 24 hours daylight

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is one of my bugbears too. It makes Azamara look incompetent and ill informed. It is not difficult to source and check correct local information.

I well remember the Azamara 'blurb' that encouraged a visit to The Colossus of Rhodes, which sadly fell down during an earthquake in 226 BC.

Several years ago they placed Abu Dhabi in Latin America on a world map of places they cruise to. I informed them of the error and they acknowledge the mistake. As with many things coming from parent RCCL, there is little oversight and maybe even less than desirable knowledge of geography. Which is somewhat scary for a global company.

Well said👍

Ivi

I took a look at the upcoming April 26 Journey cruise last year when a poster was making a big deal about the wrong time listed for an excursion in Cyprus. The first thing I noticed was that the map labeled the country for Limassol as Israel. Not wanting to add fuel to the fire, I quietly notified customer service. I received a lovely note back. The representative even took the time to look up my account and see that I had a future cruise booked. The mistake was never corrected.

Page 71 has Azamara docking at Leith Scotland where Newcastle is geographically and then moving to “Newcastle on Tyne Scotland”.

I then looked on line where at least the docking order is correct but the flowery prose is a load of rubbish.

Why let London have all the fun? Visit Newcastle upon Tyne, one of the UK’s top up-and-coming hotspots. Ancient architecture, world-class dining, a rich arts and culture scene, you name it, Newcastle has got it. Browse nearly a dozen galleries and museums or take in a game of Footie. After, grab a bite to eat at one of the city's elite restaurants and hit the town to take in renowned nightlife.

Not sure on “ancient architecture” but we do have a Newcastle built in the 1100’s but some more amazing Victorian architecture in GreySt. and Grainger market as well as more modern stuff around the quayside as well as the Blinking eye bridge and the fat slug or more properly known as Sage concert Hall.

Equally unsure where you would take in a game of “footie” at lunch time on a Monday and as you will have to be on board for sailing at 6.00pm there will not be a lot of nightlife to take part in.

No mention of Durham Cathedral or early Christianity at Jarrow or trips to Roman wall country or Segedunum Angel of the North or Beamish open air living museum.

Other attractions include Alnwick castle and Gardens of Hogwarts fame or Cragside the first house in the world to be powered by hydropower and electricity.

I hope you have sorted out ticketing arrangements for thisand it is not like the World Cup fiasco in Russia this year.

Although we are Lancastrians (but living in Yorkshire) we have long been campaigning for a stop in Newcastle (I think that Tony Markey was also supporting the cause!)

Grey Street, Newcastle has twice been voted "best street in the UK" by BBC Radio 4 listeners (obviously, a discerning group of people!)

The Georgian architecture is wonderful. The "Theatre Royal" was renovated not too long ago and is an excellent venue. And, of course, there are art galleries - the Laing and the Baltic (which has a lovely restaurant and cocktail bar with amazing views over the Tyne) and many others.

Also the lovely Tyneside Cinema (a cinema that originally showed newsreels when many people did not have access to news).

It was founded by the great uncle of Sir Ridley Scott.

And then, there is the wonderful Northumbrian coast and the amazing castles, Holy Island (Lindisfarne) and Hadrian's Wall.

PS I do not work for the Newcastle Tourist Board!

Edited by workingtocruise-59

When you bring up the summary page of all the April 2019 cruises, look at the title of the Charleston & Bermuda cruise ... apparently the Panama Canal & Central America is somewhere up in the mid-Atlantic now! Not on the itinerary of the cruise at all.

What you should do before you believe anything that anyone says about anything is to check out what they say about the place where you live. If that info is inaccurate as it usually is, the info about the rest of the places is probably worthless.

DON

Thank you Working to cruise-59,

As a proud Geordie I did not want to appear prejudiced to the city but you are correct.

A great city.

I also looked at page 70 where they miss Guernsey on the map but advise docking at Greenwich at end of cruise although map shows Southampton.

I would not like to pay the taxi cost between the two.

Bonnie Can you PLEASE ensure that the 2020 voyages are checked more carefully!!!

Hi procter, you’re lucky we ordered the 2019 voyage guide and received the 2018 one instead. I won’t list the errors in it as I don’t think anyone would have enough time (or patience) to read them all.

In all seriousness it is shocking that so much inaccurate information can be sent out to customers. All travel companies do have a responsibility to provide accurate information under U.K. legislation so more care should be taken with such literature.